RHD 1954 Samba

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
kilgore

Re: RHD 1954 Samba

Post by kilgore » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:23 pm

for more pics from some of the work from last week...

mainly the peak and front roof in general.

Spot the bob.. :D

I was also shown a couple of pics from when it was found and dug out yesterday that i hadn't seen before so thought id add those to the thread too

Topic Author
kilgore

Post by kilgore » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:49 pm

This week I was contacted by Christer the guy who actually found the bus in Sweden in 2007. He has been super generous with his time and has given me a little help with some of the back ground of the bus.

So for prosperity and for those that may be interested I thought id update the thread with as much history as i can find with the ultimate goal of one day maybe finding a period photo of the old girl. A couple of the photos i think i may have already posted but most of these to my knowledge have never been posted before.

Christer told me that in 2007 a friend of his spotted the bus from the highway after what looked like the land owner had been clearing trees in front of it. He drove with his daughter to try and find it but couldn't. He returned the following day and managed to find it up on a hill overlooking the road he was driving on. He put a tarpaulin over it so others couldn't see it from the road. He covered it in trees and tried to find out who the owner was :)

View from the road once he'd been back and covered it up, spot the barndoor......

He found out that the Bus belonged to a man called Gustaf Thoren a local convenience store owner in a place called Hullyard in Sweden. Sadly Gustaf has died but his daughter said that the bus had been sold to a local Jaguar garage dealer a few days before. Christer went to the dealer and bought it off him. He tells me he paid 4000 sek about £300 :D :D :D

The Thoren Family store...

I had seen this pic a few days ago and wondered why who ever found it had bothered to 'protect' it :D

it makes more sense now that this was part of hiding it in the woods from other would be VW hunters!

I have a copy of the the original Swedish registration. With Christers help checking their system over there the bus was last registered on the road ( like our road tax ) in 1967. Gustaf's daughter says she thinks it has been in the woods for about 40 years which ties in with that.

The copy of the Swedish log book. Shows the previous owners on the left and the dates and addresses from when they owned it.

The document shows that bus had technically 9 owners in its life time. 5 of which were garages. and one garage in owned it twice in 1959 and 1962. The garage that owned it twice was bought out by a company called Atteviks. Almost unbelievably Christer works for that company today?!!!

Equally amazing Christer's father worked at one of the garages that owned it, Nässjö Motor, he started working there in 1957. Nässjö Motor owned it in 56 before selling it in 57 so who knows his dad may have even seen it on the road. Ive asked him to see if he or his dad has period photos of the garage.

I'm super lucky and grateful that during the rescue mission Christer took a tonne of photos, i'll share some of my favorites here. Endless pics of very very rotten chassis's aren't probably necessary :)

He says he spent a a couple of weekends and evenings digging it out.

Last edited by kilgore on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic Author
kilgore

Post by kilgore » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

aaaaand a few more....

And finally dug out and on four inflated wheels for the first time in 4 decades....

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:17 pm

Amazing...
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

lowdown dirty rat

Post by lowdown dirty rat » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:02 pm

Looks like a return to Sweden will be on the cards when it's done. Gotta get some pics in front of the convient store and other locations :D
1951 Samba 20-017894
1952 Samba 20-028952

spit nolan
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by spit nolan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:14 pm

lowdown dirty rat wrote:Looks like a return to Sweden will be on the cards when it's done. Gotta get some pics in front of the convient store and other locations :D
Now that would be cool!
RHD 54 Barndoor
RHD 58 Karmann Kabriolett

RSVP VW

Topic Author
kilgore

Post by kilgore » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:51 pm

spit nolan wrote:
lowdown dirty rat wrote:Looks like a return to Sweden will be on the cards when it's done. Gotta get some pics in front of the convient store and other locations :D
Now that would be cool!
Agreed boys! Will have to make that happen!

spit nolan
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by spit nolan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:19 pm

kilgore wrote:
spit nolan wrote:
Now that would be cool!
I'm def up for going back dude!! Another road trip, maybe after Ben Pon carry on northbound :D
RHD 54 Barndoor
RHD 58 Karmann Kabriolett

RSVP VW

miles

Post by miles » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:59 pm

I love the pictures.

Some people will not understand why a bus like this is saved. I would love to see it return to the convenience store, go back to Wolfsburg, via Hessisch ;)
Canterbury Pitt Interior Instructions are here:
http://chocksaway.com/pitt/index.html

sambalee
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by sambalee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:18 am

Love it!

Topic Author
kilgore

Post by kilgore » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:36 am

spit nolan wrote:
kilgore wrote:
spit nolan wrote:
Now that would be cool!
I'm def up for going back dude!! Another road trip, maybe after Ben Pon carry on northbound :D
that sounds like a plan dude!!! Lets do it.
miles wrote:I love the pictures.

Some people will not understand why a bus like this is saved. I would love to see it return to the convenience store, go back to Wolfsburg, via Hessisch ;)
Thanks dude, i've had a few comments about it being just worthy of scrap etc, Q plate bus haha is my favorite so far. As far as i'm concerned when on the road it will be largely original externally, tatty, rusty and lovely and that's what matters to me :D

Will definitely be taking it to Sweden. Taking Christer with me and visiting the sites of its history.
Last edited by kilgore on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

tufty65

Post by tufty65 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:47 am

Great to see, although I don't think I could handle the stress of such an in depth and long resto, just finding parts must be a nightmare!
It would always be in the back of my mind that someone else only paid £300 for it but if you've got the money (or not) to take a project on like this then hats off to you I'm sure it will be very nice when it's finished so don't take any notice of the people commenting about scrap etc as they probably don't even know what they're looking at.
OFF 35
Et 12.64@106.25
http://www.offdrc.co.uk/

Topic Author
kilgore

Post by kilgore » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:56 am

tufty65 wrote:Great to see, although I don't think I could handle the stress of such an in depth and long resto, just finding parts must be a nightmare!
It would always be in the back of my mind that someone else only paid £300 for it but if you've got the money (or not) to take a project on like this then hats off to you I'm sure it will be very nice when it's finished so don't take any notice of the people commenting about scrap etc as they probably don't even know what they're looking at.

Thanks dude, I dont pay any notice of it. This is a dream bus for me and the fact others thinks its scrap or joke actually makes me laugh. Ive loved the challenge. As for the orginal purchase price it is what it is, all of our buses were cheap in the not too distant past :D £300 buys you F all barndoor parts these days let alone a bus :D :D Turns out if you want cheap buses you need to go digging in a Swedish forest!

I have to admit when I first got it home, took the cling film off i did have a moment of crushing realisation of what have I done :D That quickly passed and the project just kind of rolled along. Finding the stuff has been tricky, but there are an awful lot of amazing people in this scene that have helped me along the way with the tricky stuff to find. I have to reiterate how amazing Matt and Bob at Smiths of Cornwall have been, with out them this literally probably would just still be rotting away in a dark corner somewhere.

miles

Post by miles » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:30 am

kilgore wrote:
tufty65 wrote:Great to see, although I don't think I could handle the stress of such an in depth and long resto, just finding parts must be a nightmare!

Thanks dude, I dont pay any notice of it. This is a dream bus for me and the fact others thinks its scrap or joke actually makes me laugh. Ive loved the challenge. As for the orginal purchase price it is what it is, all of our buses were cheap in the not too distant past :D £300 buys you F all barndoor parts these days let alone a bus :D :D Turns out if you want cheap buses you need to go digging in a Swedish forest!

I have to admit when I first got it home, took the cling film off i did have a moment of crushing realisation of what have I done :D That quickly passed and the project just kind of rolled along. Finding the stuff has been tricky, but there are an awful lot of amazing people in this scene that have helped me along the way with the tricky stuff to find. I have to reiterate how amazing Matt and Bob at Smiths of Cornwall have been, with out them this literally probably would just still be rotting away in a dark corner somewhere.
Huge respect sir. I do the basics, but nothing compared to yours ;)
Canterbury Pitt Interior Instructions are here:
http://chocksaway.com/pitt/index.html

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BJ1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:15 am

Having seen this lovely old bus at Matt's, I can only say that he and Bob are doing an amazing job keeping as much of the original metal as possible! All credit to everyone involved - this piece of history has landed in good hands. Makes my latest project look like a walk in the park ;)
1966 Westy in Velvet Green - being restored
1967 Devon from Devon still in Devon
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA
1971 patina Delux from Montana now living in Germany
1972 Devon now owned by No 1 son!