RHD 1954 Samba

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
kilgore

Re: RHD 1954 Samba

Post by kilgore » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Matts taken a break from the old girl whilst Bob is on holiday for a couple of weeks so i thought id turn my attention to other parts.

Perhaps somewhat prematurely I've been thinking a lot about wheel choices for when its done :D

Currently I'm planning on running gas burners. I have a set of 5 date matching mag burners that came off of a 914-6.

I posted on instagram about how I should protect bare magnesium wheels and was recommended by quite a few folk to buy some Gibbs Brand sealant.

Spoke to the nice guys at Gibbs and they confirmed that their product was ideal for mag wheels.....

Decided to detail one wheel as the set i have are in a plain black finish and test out the sealant. I don't want super clean wheels. I want them to look original and compliment the crappy bus.

Turned out pretty good. I applied the sealant which is almost identical consistency to WD40 and left to dry. Looks shiny in the pics but in real life hasn't added much at all in the way of gloss.

Original grey/black finish

started with some wet and dry...

and end result. pretty pleased. they look very shiny in this pic of all 4 but the finish has stayed lovely and original. Definitely tell they are OG wheels.

Last edited by kilgore on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spit nolan
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by spit nolan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:24 pm

:D Gonna be bloody epic!!! I'll take a look at them later, that Gibbs stuff may be useful on a few things!
RHD 54 Barndoor
RHD 58 Karmann Kabriolett

RSVP VW

lowdown dirty rat

Post by lowdown dirty rat » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:28 pm

Nice! 8)
Reminds me of this bus.
1951 Samba 20-017894
1952 Samba 20-028952

Topic Author
kilgore

Post by kilgore » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:19 pm

lowdown dirty rat wrote:Nice! 8)
Reminds me of this bus.
Nice bus that, not one ive seen in a while. Am I right in thinking it went to Australia?

Topic Author
kilgore

Post by kilgore » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:24 pm

little update after a few week pause sorting other bits and bobs out. Matt & Bob have been wrestling with the cargo doors to get the gaps good and help get everything sit true and inline.

10 hours of maximum frustration just getting the cargo doors aligned.....

Last edited by kilgore on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanbloke

Post by vanbloke » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:57 pm

I keep looking at your thread for more photographs, the quality of build and determination to get it together is just awesome, i thought my van knackered but this was something else :) Would love to see it in the flesh when its done...Keep going dude, obviously you will but... :)

Topic Author
kilgore

Post by kilgore » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:26 pm

vanbloke wrote:I keep looking at your thread for more photographs, the quality of build and determination to get it together is just awesome, i thought my van knackered but this was something else :) Would love to see it in the flesh when its done...Keep going dude, obviously you will but... :)
thanks dude! appreciate the comments! Heres a few more snaps for you. This week other than sorting the cargo doors Bob & Matt have been wrestling with the cab floor. A lot of time has been spent making the KF panels fit.

Last edited by kilgore on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanbloke

Post by vanbloke » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:21 pm

those Klassic fab panels are great, i wish they had been around when i was messing around welding on mine, are the panels slightly off then or is it just making them fit the level of the bus? youve nearly done anyway :) keep going, now ive finished chopping and welding mine, i do actually really miss doing it, i wonder if i have a narcissistic streak in me lol ...i really enjoy getting weld burns and cutting grazes, not to mention swearing a lot at immovable objects :)

Topic Author
kilgore

Post by kilgore » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:11 am

vanbloke wrote:those Klassic fab panels are great, i wish they had been around when i was messing around welding on mine, are the panels slightly off then or is it just making them fit the level of the bus? youve nearly done anyway :) keep going, now ive finished chopping and welding mine, i do actually really miss doing it, i wonder if i have a narcissistic streak in me lol ...i really enjoy getting weld burns and cutting grazes, not to mention swearing a lot at immovable objects :)

You're not the first person to tell you you miss the welding etc, haha i think its like anything the pain eases with time and your forget just how tough it is :D right now I'm not sure I ever want to look at a project VW again!! Matt wasn't happy with the Gerson floor. The gearstick hole was 20mm out, the handbrake hole wrong, ribs not lining up. Foot rest holes in the wrong place and the heater tube the wrong way round. Looked as if its was just a LHD floor flipped for over for right. He spent over a day just correcting that.

Topic Author
kilgore

Post by kilgore » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:22 am

This week saw a little D pillar repair and also the lower bulk head. Matt & Bob blasting through....

Sills are on and now holding them selves together too!

Whilst waiting on some more metal for the rear, The boys have made a start on the front.

And lastly, the reflector on the rear of the bus is a genuine Frese K1282, couldn't tell until it came off as there was so much crust around it. This means I have a pair now. Small detail but one I'm chuffed about :)

Last edited by kilgore on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blink

Post by blink » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:59 pm

Bloody hell mate your killing it!!!

Love this thread keep up the awesome work

burwin

Post by burwin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Fantastic - loads of fun watching the hard work. Thanks for posting decent updates! Its going to look the tits!

Bally

Post by Bally » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:55 am

I'm a little late to the party but all caught up now - awesome thread, loving the updates and very inspired :)

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Dave
59 Split Panel Deluxe
63 rhd Squareback project

Scotty
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Scotty » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:49 pm

kilgore wrote: And lastly, the reflector on the rear of the bus is a genuine Frese K1282, couldn't tell until it came off as there was so much crust around it. This means I have a pair now. Small detail but one I'm chuffed about :)

That was a bit of luck! I was going to say it looks like a frese one from your first picture. To be honest with you, there are so many types of reflector floating about, it's hard to say what is correct and what isn't. The only thing known is that 54's had big diamond frese refelctors. earlier buses could have had almost any type of small diamond reflector. It seems to me that different countries had different types

Topic Author
kilgore

Post by kilgore » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:50 am

Scotty wrote:
kilgore wrote:
That was a bit of luck! I was going to say it looks like a frese one from your first picture. To be honest with you, there are so many types of reflector floating about, it's hard to say what is correct and what isn't. The only thing known is that 54's had big diamond frese refelctors. earlier buses could have had almost any type of small diamond reflector. It seems to me that different countries had different types

Thanks dude, Yep very lucky, looks like the bezel has taken a bit of a knock but glass is complete and will look perfect on the bus.

Bally wrote:I'm a little late to the party but all caught up now - awesome thread, loving the updates and very inspired :)

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Dave
burwin wrote:Fantastic - loads of fun watching the hard work. Thanks for posting decent updates! Its going to look the tits!
blink wrote:Bloody hell mate your killing it!!!

Love this thread keep up the awesome work
Thanks guys appreciate the comments!

Popped down to see Matt & Bob yesterday, drop off a few bits and return with a load of others. Im super stoked on the progress. Lots of the big parts are going on which whilst amazing is at the same time is starting to make clear just how many and how difficult of the many many 'littler' bits there are still to do.

New metal this week includes getting the floors in, rear tubs, and bulk head. Yesterday saw the parcel shelf plonked on for good measure....

Last edited by kilgore on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.