ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.
Kevin Sharpe

Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

We've been playing with radiator ideas... here's a 380mm x 280mm x 60mm mockup in the 'cooling cabinet' that we're creating on each side of the bus... we'll use these to get the bus moving and then revisit once we know more about airflow and cooling requirements 8)
IMG_9155.jpeg
IMG_9157.jpeg

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

The Tesla drive unit mounting system has been extended to include the rear torsion tube :)
IMG_1998.JPG

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

My open source inverter controller turned up today... not long until we start spinning the wheels 8)
IMG_2006.JPG

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

I'm using VAG pattern driveshafts in the prototype... my only concern is that the 250HP versions fitted to the Audi TT / Golf R32 may not survive :D
IMG_2007.JPG
IMG_2008.JPG

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

While we continue our deliberations on the battery box design, my thoughts have turned to the instrumentation :cool:

I intend to have a tablet mounted on the overhead ventilation duct which will display detailed system data. However, I also want a 'speedometer' that can be used as the only instrument for everyday driving.

Traditionally the split bus has a single 4.5" (115mm) gauge which could potentially be increased to 5.5" (140mm) without any major changes to the metalwork.

I have been unable to find any off the shelf solutions to-date and I'm therefore investigating the possibility of reverse engineering gauges from the New Beetle, VW Mini, Porsche, and others. Obviously these could be engineered to 'look' traditional while providing instrumentation more suitable for use in an electric vehicle.

That said, I'm also fascinated by the opportunities offered by modern OEM displays such as those fitted to the Fiat 500 which includes both a partial and full LCD variant in a 7" display format :eek:
Fiat 500 2012-15 French.jpg
Fiat 500 2016 UK.png

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

Really fascinating read, your skills and knowledge of this stuff is incredible.

W-W
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by W-W »

Just a thought to offset the cost of the batteries, as a bus would not be used like a typical car (taken to the station during the day and left there) and when away from the house it would be used as a camper, i.e we wouldn't be at home.
It's a prime example a mobile home battery, generate the home daytime elecy by solar PV and the excess is stored in the Buses batteries, evening demand then comes from the Bus. That means zero Grid Electricity bill, or at the very least Economy10 to top up the battery in the winter months.

Why buy a 8K Powerwall when you can have a Powerbus.

Ok not my idea as the new Nissan Leaf will allow people to do this.

I wonder if you could get away with only paying 5% VAT on the parts if you did the bus conversion at the same time as installing solar PV ;)

Also what size CVs are the TT/R32 as they will be the failure point or rather what size are the Tesla's, but if you are worried about the drive shafts, look up IRS Race Axles as they are designed to flex.

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

kilgore wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:06 am
Really fascinating read, your skills and knowledge of this stuff is incredible.
Many thanks... It's a fun project :D

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

W-W wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:02 pm
Why buy a 8K Powerwall when you can have a Powerbus.
It's a great way to offset the cost of the batteries and several electricity companies are working on tariffs where they pay you at peak times for the electricity you stored overnight 8)
W-W wrote:
I wonder if you could get away with only paying 5% VAT on the parts if you did the bus conversion at the same time as installing solar PV ;)
I'm sure someone will find a way of making that work :D
W-W wrote:
Also what size CVs are the TT/R32 as they will be the failure point or rather what size are the Tesla's, but if you are worried about the drive shafts, look up IRS Race Axles as they are designed to flex.
I think we'll upgrade the CV's and hubs because those I obtained from the breaker are tatty. Using 'stock' parts is an experiment and if it fails we'll be looking for some high spec parts next time :lol:

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Lots fabrication underway on the main battery box (located between the main chassis rails) which I'll share next week :cool:

In the meantime I'm playing with electric parking brakes from the BMW X5/X6 :D
IMG_2106.JPG

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

We modified the Tesla cups so that we can test the VAG driveshafts with the 'small' drive unit 8)
20180220_092001.jpg

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

First stage of the main battery box fabrication is nearing completion. This steel structure will be welded into place between the main chassis rails providing additional stiffness to the VW chassis and a sealed enclosure for eight Tesla modules 8)
IMG_9491.jpeg

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Good progress on the panel that will become the 'floor' of the main battery box. This structure will be inverted and the box section welded to the reinforced main chassis members providing a sealed cavity for eight battery modules. Every bolt has a corresponding nut that is welded to the box section and final airtightness will be provided by sealant similar to that used on the Nissan/Tesla batteries :cool:
IMG_9608.jpeg

W-W
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by W-W »

What are you doing about cooling the batteries if they are doing in the sealed box?
Doesn't the tesla have a pumped coolant.

Also I've been looking at Leaf batteries, are they not more manageable, for installation.

Very tidy work,

62 Double Door

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Main battery box lining test fitting :cool:
IMG_9626_rotated.jpeg