engine out...gearbox and irs/front beam next advice please

splitty61

engine out...gearbox and irs/front beam next advice please

Post by splitty61 »

hi guys.
got my engine and tank and a few other thing off my bus this weekend and now have to tackle the gearbox and irs etc removal.
is there a specific order of removal please?there are lots of bolts and just want to make sure i dont undoo any that dont need to be undone.i would like to get as much out in one piece as poss but due to weight i expect it may have to be stripped.
the same really goes fo the front beam/steering etc please.
once i have done that all thats left is the loom......doors/tailgate/engine lid are staying on for the trip to the paintshop.
i am a total novice and have enjoyed spending the time working on my bus and with the advice i have been given on the forum have managed to strip the bus on my own.
thanks guys
rob :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

cyclosport

Re: engine out...gearbox and irs/front beam next advice ple

Post by cyclosport »

IRS

If you want you hubs off then first you need to break the castle nuts on your rear hubs. This can be fun at over 250 psi.

Jack up and take off the wheels.

Undo the CV's from the gearbox and the hubs (star bolts). You can support each end with some rope.

Undo clutch cable.

You can then undo the gearbox nose cone and bolts from the cradle, jack it up and remove it backwards, it's not too heavy.

Next is your hubs/spring plates etc which can be tight - I would need to have a look to work out what order.

Front beam.

If you want to strip the front hubs then you need to break the castle nuts as above.

Jack up, wheels off and then soak the main beam bolts on the chassis rail for a day (4 each side). Get loads of Holts etc behind the suspension uprights where the beam is against the main rail. Support both ends of the beam, block it up with wood etc, this baby is heavy - make sure she won't fall, especially not on you.

You need to break the steering arm ball joint and move it out of the way if I remember rightly. Disconnect/remove throttle/clutch cables etc if they are in the way and anything else in between the torsion beams.

Then you need to undo the bolts (can be really tight) and hope that it starts to move.

If not soak it again get the jack under each end and start to pry it up and down. May be get someone else to help at the other side.

I personally wouldn't remove the hubs etc, as the weight will help to get it off. If you need to strip the brakes, then hubs nut beforehand as above.

It's a big beast but you can drag around on the floor on a trolley. LOL!

splitty61

Post by splitty61 »

nice one mate,
many thanks for the info.
all the best
rob

cyclosport wrote:IRS

If you want you hubs off then first you need to break the castle nuts on your rear hubs. This can be fun at over 250 psi.

Jack up and take off the wheels.

Undo the CV's from the gearbox and the hubs (star bolts). You can support each end with some rope.

Undo clutch cable.

You can then undo the gearbox nose cone and bolts from the cradle, jack it up and remove it backwards, it's not too heavy.

Next is your hubs/spring plates etc which can be tight - I would need to have a look to work out what order.

Front beam.

If you want to strip the front hubs then you need to break the castle nuts as above.

Jack up, wheels off and then soak the main beam bolts on the chassis rail for a day (4 each side). Get loads of Holts etc behind the suspension uprights where the beam is against the main rail. Support both ends of the beam, block it up with wood etc, this baby is heavy - make sure she won't fall, especially not on you.

You need to break the steering arm ball joint and move it out of the way if I remember rightly. Disconnect/remove throttle/clutch cables etc if they are in the way and anything else in between the torsion beams.

Then you need to undo the bolts (can be really tight) and hope that it starts to move.

If not soak it again get the jack under each end and start to pry it up and down. May be get someone else to help at the other side.

I personally wouldn't remove the hubs etc, as the weight will help to get it off. If you need to strip the brakes, then hubs nut beforehand as above.

It's a big beast but you can drag around on the floor on a trolley. LOL!

cyclosport

Post by cyclosport »

No worries, there are some genuine peeps on the forum who will help you out.

VW Jim is a guy who gave me some really helpful advice when I got my bus.

He also does it for a living and knows his stuff.