Popout seal - which way round?

Topic Author
DoubleD
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Popout seal - which way round?

Post by DoubleD » Sat May 18, 2013 6:04 pm

I've got six popouts to do and I'd rather not have to do them all twice! Lots of folks must have had to figure this one out.

Which way round should the popout outer seal be fitted, ie. the one that sits in the channel around the outer edge of the popout frame and seals to the bodywork?

The seal cross-section is not symmetrical - there is a raised ridge along one edge and a groove along the other - and it doesn't sit centrally in the frame's channel. It appears that it can be fitted either way, but the result is different. Presumably only one way seals properly?

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks,
Dave.

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Popout seal - which way round?

Post by JonnyCJ » Sat May 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi Dave - did mine last weekend.

If you place the seal in the channel you'll see that one way round has a lip which sits on top of one side of the frame. This lip should sit on the outer edge.

The other way to think of it is to have the belly of the "c" on the flange facing into the bus. I.e the tip of the "c" should face outwards.

I used a wooden chopstick with the end cut down so that it was about 4mm wide, to push the lip into the channel.

Good luck !

Jonny

Topic Author
DoubleD
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DoubleD » Sat May 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi Jonny,

I have already done one - in the way that you have described. I then tried it for a fit into the bus - took a lot of effort to get it in place and lined up with the hinge holes. Is this what you found too?

Also, if the seal is fitted this way round the two small openings in the frame, where you would gain access to the screws that hold the two halves together, are not totally covered. I imagine water could get in there. Are yours like that?

Cheers,
Dave.

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Sat May 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi Dave - not fitted mine yet, but I believe fitting them to the hinge is a right pain in the a !

I used Creative Engineering frames and seals and the fit and finish is spot on. The holes for the screws are perfectly sized so that there's minimal hole left once the seal is fitted. You could always use a small blb of mastic if your holes are obtrusive. May be worth just doing the upper holes so that any water that does get into the channel (and it will) can drop out at the bottom holes.

Cheers

Jonny

Topic Author
DoubleD
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DoubleD » Sat May 18, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi Jonny,

They look like very nice frames. I have a mixture of originals and new (repro) steel ones which are all painted. The latter are quite reasonable, although the cross-section at the corners is not so perfectly maintained, which makes it a harder job to fit the outer seals. I'm going to go ahead now and do the other five in the same way.

Good luck when you come to the fitting stage - you might find it helps to wipe a tiny bit of soapy liquid on the seal face first. It helps you to get the frame into position in the body aperture and line it up with the hinge holes, otherwise the rubber grips the bodywork and won't move!

Thanks a lot for your help - much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave.

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Sat May 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Thanks Dave - a good tip !

I used baby oil when forging the glass to frame seal and this, together with large clamps ensured a perfect fit in minimal time. I used the blunt end of the chopstick to push the glass to frame seal into place and am extremely happy with the results.

Mind you, having clean, unpainted aluminium frames helped a lot. Wouldn't like to do it again with anything less than perfect frames.

Cheers

Jonny

clymoj

Post by clymoj » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:34 pm

This just saved me a few hours of doing it again, thanks guys.

Glad I checked, still love this forum for finding out these little details