Question about IRS gearbox/and which conversion.

Topic Author
ADO911
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Question about IRS gearbox/and which conversion.

Post by ADO911 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi all
i am hoping to fit an IRS to my split but don't know which one to go for.I don't mind welding in new gearbox mounts but just wondered what is the best way to go. i think i want an IRS set up instead of a straight axle kit.
The next question is i've got a AT 1303s IRS bettle gearbox and have been told this is only good for a 1776 engine. Will this gearbox be ok with a 1600cc engine with IRS conversion in a split bus? Cheers Adi :) .

Rich-B

Re: Question about IRS gearbox/and which conversion.

Post by Rich-B » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Iv gone for the creative engineering chassis legs, just welded them in today and the fit is perfect, I'm using second hand earlybay A-arms and spring plates that iv cleaned up and will be painting. (They all fit really well, there is some clearancing to do on the cradle but its all explained in the CE instructions)
I'm then using an AT 1303s gearbox and late bay hubs/brakes to give me 5x112 pattern, this will match my front disks,
Iv read that the AT box is good for engines over 1776 too but il be fitting a 1600 to start with then once iv built my new motor that's over 1776, that will be going in
The creative chassis legs took 7 weeks to arrive from ordering and paying though so just be aware of that.
I had swing axle on my old panelvan and it was fine, iv just decided to go IRS this time for a change although there is a massive discussion thread on here somewhere about the 2 different setups, it's worth a read to see other people's opinions

Rich

orangesplitrob
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by orangesplitrob » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Box wagon do a good irs kit set up. May be worth a look.

Topic Author
ADO911
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ADO911 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks guys will have a look. Think i'm going to go down the 68 early bay road. I have just managed to get to complete rear end set up just need shocks so hopefully i should be able to sort it. Cheers again... :D

Oslo_mark69

Post by Oslo_mark69 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:28 pm

I have just fitted a AT Gearbox in my Bay . I have a 1776 wolfsberg Performance engine in mine that I got off 8 ball a couple of years ago. Its quite a hot engine , with 42mm dcnf carbs and a Cr55 Cam . I have noticed that it has quite a tall 1st gear and on anything other than the motorway i struggle to get out of 3rd gear . Once in 4th gear on the motorway it just goes and goes .Clocked up 77mph overtaking a bunch of T5's who had lost they're way on the Santa Cruz :roll: :roll: :roll: not sure what revs i was getting but I know it was comfortable.didnt feel like I was really pushing it.
I would say that you would need something a bit better than a 1600 unless you live in Holland that is :D :D

agpul
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by agpul » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:09 am

I just fitted a boxwagen kit it's easy and requires no cutting or welding
I have a type 3 box and a 1600 and it's great

orb

Post by orb » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:10 am

I did mine 9 yrs ago and the CE kit was really about the only one available so I used that. It's been great, no issues with it and it drives great.
If I was doing it again I'd probably go for a boxwagon kit as you can put it back to stock easier but seeing as my bus isn't going to be sold, ever, I'm happy with my choice.

Before i fell headlong down the slippery big motor slope I ran mine with a 1600DP which was stock apart from a quiet pack and a set of 40's, on a 1303s box and it was fine, cruised at 70 all day long, slowed a little on hills but I could live with it as I always knew it would be temporary while the big motor was built.

If you know you're going to go for a bigger motor then get the box built accordingly and put up with the short comings until the happy day :D

Orb

My Bus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7deu8L0ra4
PB 15.126 @ 83.26 mph EBI 2015

leebeardsley
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by leebeardsley » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi there has any one got boxwagen contact cheers

OxonPhil
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by OxonPhil » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Ok.....just to add my 10 pence worth..........

My IRS set up keeps the original frame forks (as you don't need to cut them off - just cut a small cut out in them). Then using beetle a-arms and beetle drum brakes it is simple (and quite a bit cheaper).

I bought my gearbox from csp in Germany.....

http://www.csp-shop.com/cgi-bin/cshop2/ ... ort=0&all=

3.88 r&p with 0.89 forth gear

I currently have a stock 1600cc, and anything more than a layer of paint on the road, and I have to drop down a gear :cry:

I do have quite a heavy bus (lots of sound proofing, and wooden interior, etc) so just trying to decide what to do.........

Option 1: Upgrade to a 1776cc engine.
Option 2: Down grade my gearbox.

Hmm..............not sure if I could bring myself to option 2 :lol:

Phil. :D

readyboy61
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by readyboy61 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:06 am

I'm running the t2d kit with beetle a arms,not cutting required (not sure why you needed to do this on yours oxonphil) I run a 1302s box with a 1776 perfect running quite large rear tyres 185/65/15 , goes nicely and no slowing on hills, I was told the 1303s box was too tall in 4th
Fixing VWs in my sleep, im not the only one right?