Setting up electrics from scratch.

Bellyjabie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Setting up electrics from scratch.

Post by Bellyjabie »

I know it's probably been discussed a fair few times but having looked through many discussions on this subject I have now have many thoughts and ideas but am not sure what the best way to go is...............so thought I'd ask you lot!!!

Having gutted the interior of my 65 I'm just starting to put it all back together, I'm starting from scratch on the electrics, so, any advice on setup would be great.

I'm after a 240v mains hook up and Leisure battery setup, I'd like the Leisure battery to charge up when I'm connected to 240v mains and also charge when I'm driving.

What do I need to best achieve this?

Thanks

Phil
http://www.bughaus.co.uk/index.php

'65 EZ camper
'71 1302s

saff

Re: Setting up electrics from scratch.

Post by saff »

ArAKern

Re: Setting up electrics from scratch.

Post by ArAKern »

Everyones will have different opinion on the "best way" but i can give you some options.
depending on the route you want to take and the how much you want to pay.

First peice of advise is to actualy plan exactly what you want/need.
eg
senario 1:
Will drive every day an reasonable distance and at night will run a few led lights for a few hours before bed
= run of the start batt only
senario 2:
will drive to site park up and not move for the weekend will run haleogen lights. radio and phone charder for several hours a day.
= leasure batt possibly more than one.
Senario 3:
will drive to site park up and not move for the week will run hairdryer, microwave, fridge 24x7, 3kw fan heater ,kicking stero and full disco lights...
= 240v ring main.

Questions to ask..
How any amps will we draw and for how long before recharging (plan some contignecy) from this you can size the leasure batt capacity. you may find you will need such a large bank of batt that they will never fit in the van or you will soley rely on 240v hookup
How much charging capacity do you need and for how long (old alternators / generators may not output stated current and often do not output unless at high rpm) from this you can size the 240v charging size. a cheap 6ah batt charger may not keep up with the demands.

Sorry for the lecture untill you know what you need it will be hard for you to plan.

Simple and cheap.
Engine charging
Wire Leasure batt in parrallel with engine batt both will charge of the engine
Pro: no split chargers or complex wiring
Con: Possobility to flatten start batt (also start/traction do not like being run down possibility of colasping a cell)
240v hookup.
simple car batt charger.
Pro: cheap
Con: cannot charge and draw at the same time.

next step up
Engine charging
Split charge relay can be made from parts from the scrap yard (manual switching)
Voltage sensing split charge relay (once start batt is charged will switch over to charge leasure batt)
Pro: relative cheap and simple wire
Con: can flatten start batt (use blocking diode split charger to avoid this)
240v Hookup
Car batt charger with load ability
Pro: simple to wire
con: charge and load handeling ability.

All singing and dancing
Engine charging:
DC - DC charger
Pro: faster and in theory better charging condition for batt can accept other charge sources ie solar wind gens etc.
Con: Cost! size of unit.
240v Hookup:
AC-DC charger
Pro: faster and in theory better charging condition for batt
Con: Cost! size of unit.

Hope this helps a little (I spent month reaserching/desiging the electrics for my boat it can be a complet minefield)
feel free to ask questions..

Giles