Re: How To - Converting Your 6V Wiper Motor Into A 12V Motor

Post by piran »

great post

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f »

Remember this only works up to the first 6v motor on a frame....1965 MY August 64 to August 65...the 12v armature will not fit that SWF motor...
That 6v motor has a different cast face and the armature is shorter.
See my post about having a 6v 65MY motor built by wiperman in USA.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

monkey

Post by monkey »

I did this conversion on my swf wiper motor. It was so easy to do it was untrue.
It will be strange to not have my wipers whizzing around at warp factor 5 anymore though!
'64 Devon Caravette - OG UK bus!!
'74 Karman Beetle - Imported Italian Dolce-Vita!

sbs#26 UK Chapter

kombi niko

Post by kombi niko »

I just did this mod too but the bloody arm popped off while it was working jamming the arm against the body , now the motor has stopped working:( Any ideas what to look for?

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

Burnt out motor? blown fuse?
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

kombi niko

Post by kombi niko »

was a burned out motor, got another one from WW and its in but seems to only work sometimes??? even out of the bus and on the bench battery it will take a few goes to get going. its like its shorting on something cant see what?? any ideas?

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? »

kombi niko wrote:was a burned out motor, got another one from WW and its in but seems to only work sometimes??? even out of the bus and on the bench battery it will take a few goes to get going. its like its shorting on something cant see what?? any ideas?

Check the wiper motor gearbox. If you didn't service that at the same time as changing the armature, you might be lucky and your problem might just be due to the grease turning to gunk inside. Mine had gone crusty. Could be jamming one of the gears. Take photos before you touch anything in there though - the gears just pull of the spindles, so you'll need something to remind you of where they go.

Also, check the teeth of those gears. They're only plastic. If the motor jammed under load it might have stripped or chipped teeth.

davebug

Post by davebug »

Don't kill me you lot but I was told a six volt wiper motor works fine in 12v without swapping anything , am I wrong and in trouble :roll:

DJDUNKY
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DJDUNKY »

I've just done mine on a 65 and had to change over the centre pin. It was an easy job and now it fits and runs a treat

kombi niko

Post by kombi niko »

Who.Me? wrote:
kombi niko wrote:was a burned out motor, got another one from WW and its in but seems to only work sometimes??? even out of the bus and on the bench battery it will take a few goes to get going. its like its shorting on something cant see what?? any ideas?

Check the wiper motor gearbox. If you didn't service that at the same time as changing the armature, you might be lucky and your problem might just be due to the grease turning to gunk inside. Mine had gone crusty. Could be jamming one of the gears. Take photos before you touch anything in there though - the gears just pull of the spindles, so you'll need something to remind you of where they go.

Also, check the teeth of those gears. They're only plastic. If the motor jammed under load it might have stripped or chipped teeth.
Had a look and all is ok in the gears, I'm blowing a fuse everytime I turn it on :( Again got it working but as some as you disingadge the wiper arms it stops working again.

Banger
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Banger »

Just a thought, did you run a cable from the case to earth?

kombi niko

Post by kombi niko »

just the way it was from factory I think.

malum
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by malum »

What is the problem with running a voltage dropper to a 6v motor?

lids_2001
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by lids_2001 »

am update regarding the 1965 wiper motor. As previously pointed out the new 12V armatures do not fit the one year only wiper motor.

There is another solution. Get hold of a 1968 beetle armature part number 113 955 813E. its 12V and slips right in. I must thank Don West for sourcing one for me. He also points out that the new 12v armatures have the wrong gauge wire and therefore don't spin at the correct speed and also run slightly hot!

Tourist exchange with optional extra of a rubber mat!