new engine - urgent help needed if I am to get to Newquay

presland123
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

new engine - urgent help needed if I am to get to Newquay

Post by presland123 »

Brought a new engine from a chap on here. 1600tp with twin kadrons and a 009 mildly tuned.

Set it up took it for a 30 mile run and it ran like a dream.

Then took it back out a while later and after a few miles it started missing and lost power and when I pulled over I had not tightened up the dizzy so it had slipped. I reset to about 7.5 btdc (as it was) but struggled to start and limped home. No nasty noises but sounds like it was not running on all 4.

Spent the whole day on it, replaced coil, electronic ignition with points, plugs and when I took the plugs out, no 2 plug was wet.

Checked and we are getting sparks from each plug and at idle it seems ok but as soon as I put it under load and accelerate it runs like a pig.

Has anyone any ideas or any names of garages that would be able to help me over the next 2 days. I live near Grantham.

Booked in for the surfing in Newquay and am gutted that I cant go.

thevanthatcan

Post by thevanthatcan »

this may sound like a no brainer, but, i had a similar problem with a 1500 single port, missing under load, it turned out one of the plugs had worked itself loose, carbon deposits had got into the threads, so when i was tightening the plug it wasnt seating properly, i soaked the threads with wd40, refitted the plug right down to the crush washer and the problem was gone!! :wink:
aylesburyaircooledv.w.club

presland123
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by presland123 »

checked all plugs and all seated correctly but thanks for the thought.

the fact that it was running so well before, makes me think it is something really simple I just cant work out what it is.

thevanthatcan

Post by thevanthatcan »

are the heads torqued down correctly?, inlet manifold nice and tight?
aylesburyaircooledv.w.club

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

Did you put in new plugs, or replaced the old ones? If not new, try new ones. check the leads are fitted properly.

Has the linkage slipped on the carb's. Mis-balanced carbs' or loose linkage will have quite an effect.

Set the timing at 30 degrees at full advance rather than 7.5 at idle, generally works better that way.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

PS or get 're-covered' to us, and then carry on to Newquay once sorted... :wink:
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

ronnie12342003

Post by ronnie12342003 »

have you done a compression test ???

mif

Post by mif »

if its missing under load i would try another dizzy?
worth a go i reckun
65 rhd uk devon
Corton Hardcore camping posse 2006!

flatbeat
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by flatbeat »

Sounds like a plug breaking down. They're cheap and easy to replace and can act up in really weird ways sometimes. If no 2 is wet it ain't firing, can't really be the carb as they're single choke ( does both cylinders). If the timing went out due to the distributor rotating while on the move this MAY have knackered the plug.
Packed a few belongings and headed out to Pirates Cove. In my buddy’s old grey Kombi we rolled until the gas got low.....

1965 11 Window aka 'Rustina'.
1961 Beetle.

presland123
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by presland123 »

thanks to everyone for their advice.

After work, I will be back out to go back to basics. Re-checking the tappets, check and reset timing, check plus/leads and then fingers crossed.

Jim, where abouts are you based and if I did as you suggested, would you be able to fit me in on Thursday?

I havent got any spares (ie a spare dizzy) so am buggered if it that.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

We're in Tewkesbury, and yep, could squeeze you in on Thursday if needed.

presland123
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by presland123 »

cheers Jim, you may be hearing from me. Like you say, you are on the way from me to Newquay.

If I got running, but wanted you have a look at the engine it to set up properly, would you be able to fit me in late morning Thursday and how much would you charge for a tune up (Assuming this is all that awas wrong of course). This way, I could still get to Newquay for the evening.

Nothing firm, just an indication.

Also, do you have a mobile or should i just call the numbers on the website.

Thanks again for the offer, it is appreciated.

presland123
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by presland123 »

Good news, I found the problem.

BAD news its major. For no2 cylinder the spring is snapped when I took the rocker cover off. Lets hope its just the spring, not just need to work out how to fix this but looks I wont be in Newquay.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii27 ... ge3261.jpg
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii27 ... ge3261.jpg

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

Can't really make that out in the photo, but a spring swap isn't too hard if its just that. Check the valve stem is undamaged / valve moves freely once the spring is off. Also, pop the spark plug out to see if that looks okay.

ronnie12342003

Post by ronnie12342003 »

ronnie12342003 wrote:have you done a compression test ???

wot i said compression test reveals all 8O