Gear box advise please

Reggie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Gear box advise please

Post by Reggie »

I have just returned from the lake district and i was having problems getting up the hills in my Hi top.
I am currently running a 1600 tp engine and have a gearbox from Type 2 detectives IRS ed
I was wanting to know who make a good gearbox and what combination eg gear ratio would be best for a heavy bus with a camping interior.

I was having problems dropping from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st
NOT JUST A WAY OF LIFE lovol

1960 Westy SO 23 :-)
1968 Titan red Deluxe Bay
1968 Beetle

Ollie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Ollie »

At a guess anything with a 4.375 r&p

or (controversial?) stock gearbox and reduction box setup.

What size tyres are you running and what box do you have at them moment?
'it just bolts right up...'

Reggie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Reggie »

Thanks for the reply im running 14 beetle wheels and not sure with box but i think its 1303 beetle box it could just be the gear selects i suppose.
Thanks si

1968 Beetle

simons121
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by simons121 »

I run a DC code box out of a type 3. its a 4.125 with .89 4th gear. Its coupled to a stock 1500 single port engine and is brilliant. She has a full camping interior too.

We hardly ever have to drop a gear on hills and she cruises at 65 all day!

hope that helps.

Cheers, Si

Reggie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Reggie »

Thanks Si sond like ill have to look for one of those then

1968 Beetle

65southafricanbus

Post by 65southafricanbus »

1 got a rebuilt box from Cogbox in London - they're very helpful - I think they can build to any spec & they'll advise you on the best spec for your bus. Twin carbs & a freeflow exhaust will give you a bit mor umph
bought a 65 South African bus & doing it up slowly

flatbeat
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by flatbeat »

The 1303 (1300) box should be OK really. I think the type 3 box's have a taller 3rd and 4th gear so not sure how well that would work, good top cruising speed tho'. Is the engine OK? not losing compression? Some times they just get old and tired and a bit sluggish, but keep on going.
Packed a few belongings and headed out to Pirates Cove. In my buddy’s old grey Kombi we rolled until the gas got low.....

1965 11 Window aka 'Rustina'.
1961 Beetle.

delux 67
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by delux 67 »

hi top si wrote:Thanks Si sond like ill have to look for one of those then
might know were there is one for sale, will talk on sunday si :D

simons121
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by simons121 »

Forgot to add we run on rear 185/65/15 tyres.

Sam

Post by Sam »

Without trying to sound like a dick, and making no specific comments about your situation Si (this is a general rant of mine!), it constantly amazes me how people expect to put taller gears in their heavy over-loaded vans and expect no detriment to their performance.

I developed the following spreadsheet when i was looking for a suitable gearbox for an IRS kit that i had already bought. It lets you input tyre size, engine rpm and outputs your road speed based on a number of different available gearboxes. Pretty simple. Tyre sizes shown here are stock size BTW.

What this showed to me was that the jump in speed from std Bus to 1600 IRS Bug gearbox was far too large for the stock engine i run... instead of 61mph i'm going to be doing 76mph for the same engine speed and therefore same cooling. INSANE! The run-up to 61 mph already took long enough, imagine how long it would take to get to 76, at lower rpms? Ad imagine what would happen on even the slightest hill.

Speed vs. Torque... you cant have both.

VW weren't idiots and actually put some engineering effort into matching drive-trains vs engine output and the need for top end speed vs. acceleration. It was actually almost a bit embarassing that i did all this research into gearboxes then decided that what I had in the van was kind of ideal... you can imagne the guys at Wolfsburg screaming

"thats why we put that gearbox in there you tit!" (in german, obviously!)

I sold the kit to someone else and havent thought twice about it since.

Yes, IRS rides better, and yes, you can lower you van, but your performance may suffer. Think.

Russ T
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Russ T »

sorry to hijack the thread, but it is related.

i have a 67 split with org gearbox (i think it has been changed but not for anything special i think) and reduction hubs.

i have just fitted a 1776 twin HPMX 40's 4 into 1 exhaust and was considering what to do with the back end in the winter.

so what gearbox would be best for this set up i just want to cruise at 70 nothing more or less should i stay as is or go IRS or straight axle lowing is not a factor really.

or should i stay with 1600 and leave well alone as nature intended ?

Sam

Post by Sam »

Russ

speak to CogBox.... you have a bigger engine and thats a different kettle of fish (Cogbox know their onions)

Sam

Russ T
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Russ T »

Sam wrote:Russ

speak to CogBox.... you have a bigger engine and thats a different kettle of fish (Cogbox know their onions)

Sam
i thought that would be the answer, Cheeerching ! i best crack out another hidden spreadsheet 8O

Sam

Re: Gear box advise please

Post by Sam »

hi top si wrote:I was wanting to know who make a good gearbox and what combination eg gear ratio would be best for a heavy bus with a camping interior.
I feel bad that I ranted... it didnt really help answer your question! :roll: :oops:

I think the best gearbox for you is the stock set-up with reduction boxes.

Sam