oil light ?

robert.copley1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

oil light ?

Post by robert.copley1 »

After a run the oil light flickers on tickover , its a 1600 twinport using morris sae 30 is it anything to worry about and could i try sae 40 oil , or what about the upgrade spring in the pump :?: anyone used it and what its like to fit Thanks Bob

flatbeat
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by flatbeat »

Could try a new sender unit first, they're about £3 only and do go wrong.
Packed a few belongings and headed out to Pirates Cove. In my buddy’s old grey Kombi we rolled until the gas got low.....

1965 11 Window aka 'Rustina'.
1961 Beetle.

renka

Post by renka »

upgrade pump is not a good idea it covers (often temporarely) the problem rather than curing a possible problem

cheers René

Grizzly
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Grizzly »

If you using that morris 30 stuff I had the same problem on an old 1500 beetle after it had been on a run, put some quantum 15-40 in that did the trick for me . . .
Stonor VW Show
http://www.abvwc.com/stonor

Aircooled Konnection VW Club
http://www.aircooledkonnection.com

robert.copley1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

oil light

Post by robert.copley1 »

thanks for the feedback , Iv swapped the pressure switch,replaced the 009 with a vaccume advance dist,re opened the hole on the butterfly valve checked the ign timing and covered the holes in the tinware probably try the as reccomended oil change n see what happens , thanks Bob

matjk

Post by matjk »

Stupid question, which ones the oil light, i have 2 on my speedo, they both come on first key position, then when i start her the one on the right goes out, the one on the left flickers unless i rev it up a bit, i assume this one is the alternator light, am i right ? or do i have the same problem :cry:

Grizzly
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Grizzly »

matjk wrote:Stupid question, which ones the oil light, i have 2 on my speedo, they both come on first key position, then when i start her the one on the right goes out, the one on the left flickers unless i rev it up a bit, i assume this one is the alternator light, am i right ? or do i have the same problem :cry:
Your right its your alternator/generator light
Stonor VW Show
http://www.abvwc.com/stonor

Aircooled Konnection VW Club
http://www.aircooledkonnection.com

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

matjk wrote:Stupid question, which ones the oil light, i have 2 on my speedo, they both come on first key position, then when i start her the one on the right goes out, the one on the left flickers unless i rev it up a bit, i assume this one is the alternator light, am i right ? or do i have the same problem :cry:
depends if someone has wired them in back to front before.... :wink:

Pull the wire off the sender in the engine to be sure which light is which
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

matjk

Post by matjk »

where would i find the sender unit on the engine??

wilgartw

Post by wilgartw »

matjk wrote:where would i find the sender unit on the engine??

the sender unit is at the top of the case, to the rear left, near rhe distributor.
59 kombi

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those don't.