Front Beam Options Technical Topic

scottish splitty
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Front Beam Options Technical Topic

Post by scottish splitty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:46 pm

rob.e wrote:Ok, so I've read the thread from start to finish, very interesting reading.

I'm looking to buy a van soon (most likely a late split) and i'm planning out what to do. I don't want something that's in the weeds - it needs to sit nicely lower than stock but still be practical as a family camping bus, handle ride and stop well (ideally discs on the front, maybe with a servo too?).

I've priced up the "traditional" approach ie dropped spindles, narrowed adjustable beam on the front, shorter shocks and a spline change at the rear, but having read this thread it looks to make more sense to go with the Red9 wishbone upgrade, given it's not that much more expensive, has great reviews from owners and also has the benefit of rack and pinion.

So here's the question in a nutshell; starting with a stock late split van and a buget of say, £3k where would your money go?

Red9 wishbones with late bay discs on the front + servo, one spline at the rear, or should i just save some money and go with just dropped spindles (+discs) given its only having a mild drop?

Hi
I would spend the money on the red9 wishbone kit and a set of creative adjustable spring plates,get it over with first time. Then you have infinitely adjustable suspension.
I've got their coilovers system on a bay beam with discs,dual master cylinder and servo.its a good set up but the steering is the big issue for me
My next step is the wishbone kit,I only wish I had done it to start with ,save me buying all my other stuff.
Good luck...

vwdave
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwdave » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:46 pm

Hi all, very interesting. If I wanted to drop the bus very slightly (1" or so) would adjusters be ok on the front and 1 lowered 1 spline on the back.

Also, I intend to fit 15" standard wheels. Does anyone the correct tyre size for these?

Thanks

Jim

Happy Days............. :)

Post by 24879845 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:22 pm

Zoe
L

The

vwdave
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwdave » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi, can anyone clarify the differences between the ride using beam adjusters and using a beam that's been cut and turned. (3") Is there any pros and cons with the setup? Just want to go down a little and keep everything else stock. Also, will a late beam fit my 64?

Really appreciate it.

Jim

Happy Days............. :)

Ihami01
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Ihami01 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:15 am

I have the weedeater set at max hight and dropped spindles, but would rather stock height. What's the easiest and Cheeper way to stock, oh and I have the CE steering rack too . This my first Splitty and the only one I have driven. The steering is heavy and turning circle massive.

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:00 pm

8 bus is looking for a narrow beam if yours is narrowed, maybe sell your set up complete and then replace it with stock height stuff?

Cheers, Lee
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

8 8US
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 8 8US » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Ihami01 wrote:I have the weedeater set at max hight and dropped spindles, but would rather stock height. What's the easiest and Cheeper way to stock, oh and I have the CE steering rack too . This my first Splitty and the only one I have driven. The steering is heavy and turning circle massive.
Have a spare stock beam, willing to trade with cash? Where are you based?

Thanks Lee.
Richard

1960 Single Cab Pickup “Barny” (resto thread - https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic ... 8&t=122082)
1966 Devon “Hetty”

1980 Brasilia gone :(

Geekshack

Post by Geekshack » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:57 pm

For those of you that have the r9d of creative rack, a mod of the horn push.
http://geekshackltd.co.uk/shop/products ... litscreen/

Mitchy69

Post by Mitchy69 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi guys and girls,

I'm not sure what to do, I've got a bay beam with adjusters and disc in my 66 I've got ball joint dropped spindles to go on too but don't know if I want to just get a 4" narrow beam and fit the parts to that or get a standard k&l beam with adjusters or buy a narrow k&l beam then get trailing arms and spindles to fit

Not sure what would be the better and cheaper option of the last two, I want to go lower but not on the ground

DaveyMoon
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DaveyMoon » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi all, my bus has an early bay front beam with these adjusters fitted (hopefully picture has attached ok). I have seen mention that these are the way Harry Harpics used to do them. The inserts have two holes offset but can be inverted, giving four different ride height positions.
IMG_6936a.JPG
IMG_6936a.JPG (36.13 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
I want to experiment with ride height to try and improve handling, but I can't get the threaded holes inside the beam to rotate any lower than they are, even with wheels right off the ground, so I can't raise the ride height.

Anyone got any tips? Would undoing the ball joints to remove tension from the torsion bars help?

Thanks in advance...
The optimism of the action is better than the pessimism of the thought

73 Devon Holdsworth
61 Kombi

lightice

Post by lightice » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:28 am

I have a late RHD split.
Removing the existing K&L pin beam and installing a late bay beam.

The late bay beam has yet to be modified but here are the intended mods.

4" narrowing
New mounting flanges with early and late bolt patterns
Stock spindles
Adjusters

The aim is to make it stock split track width (after using adaptors to wide 5) and height.

I plan to reuse the late bay disc brakes.

Also in the pipeline is the conversion of the steering box to a R&P using an astra RHD rack.

The existing problems are:
1) Lack of parts available in Asia for king and link pins.
2) Lack of engineering shops willing to take on the task to refurbish king and link pins and the steering box / center pin
3) My steering box is shot
4) Center pin needs refurbishment
5) Link pins are shot, king pin likely needs refurbishment

The cost to buy in K&L pin sets from overseas and shipped to me basically cost more than the late bay beam hub to hub. :lol: