Swing Axle vs IRS Technical Topic

ian 68

Re: Swing Axle vs IRS Technical Topic

Post by ian 68 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:37 am

dubdup wrote:Hi,

I managed to blow up my gearbox last weekend - gutted. I removed the engine yesterday (1500SP - stock) hoping it was the clutch that had let go, it was not. So think terminal with current box. I cannot determine what it is (beyond been a beetle box).

I am running swing axle (straight axle) on the bus and the marking on the box are

44 113 301 103 D - casing stamps
9678177 - hand stamped, unable to find anything else!

I have a spare box, but need advice if it is going to work (gearing wise). the potential replacement is

44 113 301 103 H 2BR AB25 083 - Which I believe is 1300, 4.375 ratio. Any help is welcomed.

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Take a look here mate, it should help.
http://www.shining-wit.net/rick/buggy/d ... &%20Ratios

Best

Ian
It don't make any difference who you vote for, the Government always gets in.
Banksy.

paul_f
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by paul_f » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:56 am

dubdup wrote:Hi,

I managed to blow up my gearbox last weekend - gutted. I removed the engine yesterday (1500SP - stock) hoping it was the clutch that had let go, it was not. So think terminal with current box. I cannot determine what it is (beyond been a beetle box).
What are your symptoms - I'd be surprised if you have blown the box.

More likely are stripped splines in the drum or a broken axle - but the latter you can normally see as the wheel moves.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Wastedspark

Post by Wastedspark » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:59 am

I have a few questions about fitting IRS,

Relocating the shock mount,
When does the shock mount need relocating, is it a matter of ride height?
Where is the mount moved to? Further back on the chassis leg or on the other side?

Spring plates
Are adjustable spring plates necessary? Or does it depend on how low you go?

Gearbox output shafts.
When using 944 100mm drive shafts is it only trekker output shafts that can be used or are there other options?

Does anyone have a link to people using aluminium trailing arms?

I'm sure there will be more questions.

Martin.

MYTDUB

Post by MYTDUB » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:44 pm

biggles wrote:got most of my irs kit but have run out of money,wah!! i have the box with all the beetle running gear on it, a set of late bay driveshafts, so what is the cheapest way to do it myself,ie was going boxwagen which i would love to do but skint so need to do some fabrication of some discription, has anyone done it using all secondhand as a pose to just buying an aftermarket kit. which arms can i use early bay,late bay, beetle. Any advice would be be great folks getting a little t'ed off with this now.

cheers biggles 8)
Hi B.
I'm converting my 56' to irs. I've not bought a kit. I just collected the parts over last year. I sourced the hubs and arms from a 69 bay. And then spring plates 68, Drums are easy to find.
A new bolt kit (eBay). Drive shafts from late bay, beetle cv's needed one end. I've converted late bay back plates to use old 45mm shoes to match the drums. All I had to buy new is the creative engineering horns.
Basically, you need bay 68' 69' arms hubs ,spring plates etc. I have heard of the old split plate being re drilled or machined to fit?..
Late bay arms are at a different angle. See creatives e website.
Wanted , bench seat bottom half, early ignition switch, RHD STEERING BOX, CROWS FEET STEEL WHEELS. CASH WAITING.

sychosis

Post by sychosis » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi all

I'm looking at lowering the back of our bus a little more through adjustable springplates, main reason being shock mounts are not level. The po irs'd the bus using early bay brakes. I'm a little confused as to what model spring plates I would need to buy split or bay?

Cheers

Lee

tikibus

Post by tikibus » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:57 pm

I think early bay spring plates fits in split window torsion bar. My splitty runs with a complete early bay train with early bay drums and arly bay adjustable spring plates too.

sychosis

Post by sychosis » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:54 pm

tikibus wrote:I think early bay spring plates fits in split window torsion bar. My splitty runs with a complete early bay train with early bay drums and arly bay adjustable spring plates too.
Cheers

I'll look into it

Lee

MYTDUB

Post by MYTDUB » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Yep , you'll be needing early bay spring plates if you have early bay irs..
Wanted , bench seat bottom half, early ignition switch, RHD STEERING BOX, CROWS FEET STEEL WHEELS. CASH WAITING.

clarkey31

Post by clarkey31 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi all have got a quick question about irs a bus for a friend, we have got a 1303 gearbox he has seen you can get adapter off buttybit to allow you to run early beetle drums on the later hubs but can't work out what other bits as everything else I have read uses early bay bit..

Thanks Gavin

MYTDUB

Post by MYTDUB » Mon May 26, 2014 5:21 pm

clarkey31 wrote:Hi all have got a quick question about irs a bus for a friend, we have got a 1303 gearbox he has seen you can get adapter off buttybit to allow you to run early beetle drums on the later hubs but can't work out what other bits as everything else I have read uses early bay bit..

Thanks Gavin
Not sure what you mean ? Are you running early 68-69 it's parts or late bay?

Ukrobotman
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Ukrobotman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:39 pm

I'm considering straight axleing my 62 split. I saw the basic kit that a company called One On One supply. It involves modifying original split screen spring plates by cutting, drilling then finally welding them to beetle spring plates or alternatively using 68 bay window spring plates. This is a cheap kit but bit concerned about cutting, drilling and welding to spring steel!
Any feedback on this kit? Has any one used it?
Steve

Biscuit

Post by Biscuit » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi Guys,

Can anyone assist me as I need new 205 drums on my IRS conversion on my 1960 split? I have a bay IRS set up with freeway flyer gear box with late bay stub axles/hubs and wide 5 drums. Due to having late bay hubs that are shorter in length to the early ones, my current drums are cut/machined from the front snout to enable the castle nut to fit onto the threads.

My options are, buying standard drums and finding some to machine the front down (24mm ish) or I think CE sell a drum which I think is already done (205 custom rear drums £250.00 ) . Has anyone had experience of the CE drums or knowledge of machining the original drums.

Any advice will be much appreciated

Thanks Simon

chrystal

Post by chrystal » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:57 pm

I have Harry Heroics. They clamp on the torsion bar housing. I think ce means cutting bits of
There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
and she's buying a stairway to Heaven
When she gets there, she knows if the stores are all closed
with a word she can get what she came for

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

1963 pick-up

Post by type21f » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Anyone who is planning to IRS or straight axle their 1963 pick up?
Or has done this conversion?

PM me please to help answer a question?

G
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

welldoneade

Post by welldoneade » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:57 am

Hi, Does anyone have any thoughts on fitting urethane bushes instead of the stock rubber spring plate donuts? I see creative do urethane gearbox mounts, but use rubber spring plate bushes. Maybe urethane is too harsh? Heritage etc supply these but you have to trim the lobes off for the split...
Cheers
Adrian