Oil Pressure Light and Switch

Topic Author
Dot
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Oil Pressure Light and Switch

Post by Dot » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:19 am

Morning All,

I’m still going through the Bus I’ve bought and I’ve one problem that I’m about to embark on, the lack of green light on the dash. Bulb checked and is ok. Engine appears fine but won’t be happy until this issue is sorted and I’m not driving it on the road atm.

Looking in the engine compartment it’s got an extension to the oil pressure switch which I’ve not seen before. Anyone guide me as to what it is please, and can I or do I remove it?

I’m planning on installing a gauge in the cab, any advice appreciated. I’m wondering if I’ve got a wire continuity issue...

Pic attached as is...

Thanks all

Dot
Attachments
5521C46A-A4B4-4EC9-A659-6C232705A901.jpeg
'59 import Mango... plus a liberal sprinkling of rust....

8 8US
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Oil Pressure Light and Switch

Post by 8 8US » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:33 am

Dot

That extension is to allow an additional sender (pressure or temp) to be fitted, looks like it is blanked off.

Have you grounded the wire in the engine bay? The bulb should light, if not it is a wiring issue which you can test by running a temporary wire outside the bus between the sender and the bulb. If it does light it'll be the sender is duff.
Richard

1960 Single Cab Pickup “Barny” (resto thread - https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic ... 8&t=122082)
1966 Devon “Hetty”

1980 Brasilia gone :(

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:10 pm

As Richard said, except its not backed off, its got an oil temp sender fitted but not wired up.

As the bus is new to you, don't assume the idiot lights are wired up the correct way. Put the ignition on, see which lights are working. Remove the cable to the charging warning light (either off the alternator or off the dynamo regulator). Does the charging light go out?

And with the help of an assistant, as Richard said, touch the oil pressure cable to earth, does the light come on?
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
Dot
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Dot » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:42 pm

All sorted, thanks Jim and 8Bus. Green light working A1. Although the additional part in there appears to have a larger thread so i've had to retain it for now.
'59 import Mango... plus a liberal sprinkling of rust....

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:05 am

Dot wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:42 pm
All sorted, thanks Jim and 8Bus. Green light working A1. Although the additional part in there appears to have a larger thread so i've had to retain it for now.
Cool.

What was the reason for it not working before?
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.