Ignition power loss

Topic Author
paulster

Ignition power loss

Post by paulster » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:06 am

Hi all,
New to the forum as I have just bought a 1965 camper, which leads be to my first issue with it !
Just wondered if anyone has had this issue before -

After collecting the vehicle and driving some 60 miles home, about a mile from my house it just cut out ???
I had lost power to the ignition. I bridged the fuse box terminals with a bit of coke can that I found by the side of the road (try that with ya modern day motor for a repair) and got her home safely.

The next morning I thought i'd look into the fault but the ignition was again working as it should?

We then took it for another long run for a camp with friends and at about roughly the same distance it did it again !!! (this time i had brought some high class tin foil in preparation for this and made it to the camp)

Well it started fine the next morning and has been ok since ????
I am an old school mechanic and have been for 20+ years but before I decide to possibly rewire the complete vehicle, is there anyone who has experienced this same issue and could point the right way ?

Thanks all.

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Ignition power loss

Post by type21f » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:18 am

Lots of detective work required!
Did it blow the fuse?
Use of aluminium foil to wrap round the fuse sounds like it blew!
Or was it loose?
So need to trace the wire feed from the fuse through each component and eliminate that lemgth of cable/ leg/ component from the check.
You can get a copy of the wiring diagram from two sources thesamba.com and a site called vintagebus a VW bus surge in the USA.
On the samba under the technical drop down there is an owners manuals section by year language and there is a wiring diagram in there.
The problem comes that some say it is hard to read the diagram. The items in the circuit are lettered and there is a seperate sheet with descriptions. Wire colours I find easy to read and diagrams easy to follow but after 50 years all kinds of things wear get replaced or hacked.
It sounds as if you have a direct short to earth somewhere and a systematic search is needed. Be careful using a anything in your fuse box other than.. Ask about fires. Lots of old buses have electric fires because people by pass the fuse. Get you going but be ready to whip out at the smell of burning.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Topic Author
paulster

Post by paulster » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:08 am

Hi Type 21,
It didn't blow any fuses at all, just lost power to the fuse box (ignition switch) so i bridged it across.
Looks like many before me have chopped and hacked at the wiring on the bus. So probably best to strip it and start from scratch to make it factory spec as per the diagrams you kindly pointed out to me.

Thank you.

DOUGAL
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DOUGAL » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:01 am

Did it cut out while driving?
Loose connection on the ignition or maybe light switch?
I would go through all the connections on the fuse box, ignition switch and light switch first.

Cheers,
Gertjan
Interested in 1/4 light/sliding window locks? Please PM me.
Available colours: black, blue, red, yellow, white, grey, green and purple
Link to forum post

Topic Author
paulster

Post by paulster » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi Dougal,

My feelings also the light switch as looking at the diagrams this is where it is fed from.

Cheers
Paul

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:00 pm

Also lots of issues with the sprung tabs in the fuse box - try and clean up the little hole where the nub of the fuse fits into - this needs to be clean & shiny bright, and carefully bend the sprung arms to increase the tension on the fuses.
Very common issue!