Gear selection.

Topic Author
RPATTZ

Gear selection.

Post by RPATTZ » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi guys, I'm looking to try and solve a problem that I left probably up too 3 years ago and only now I'm looking at getting back to solve.

I basically installed straight through axle kit (think bus boys?) and had a gear box from a Beatle sent away too tes engines to be refurbed and changed to a highway flyer box. Didn't really check if if the box would be compatible but just went ahead.

On return installed with all new mounts ect bushes on the selector shaft and also changed the nose cone and hockey stick from my original bus box. Connected every thing up and just can't select gears and the ones I could select when driving ment that the gear stick was fouling on the seat or moving in directions not like the original box unit.

In the end from what I can remember I wasn't having any success and a move of house and arrival of my son meant that the garage door was shut and that's where I left it.

It's a 66 kombi with a 1640cc engine. I don't know the code on the refurbished box (Beatle box) but I may be able to get hold of the year car it came from.

If I can get some ideas from the forum that I haven't tried yet then failing those I will revert back to the original gear box and with the straight axle kit.👍 thanks

Topic Author
RPATTZ

Re: Gear selection.

Post by RPATTZ » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:00 pm

Are the gearbox codes visible if your looking up from underneath the bus and what area are they usually stamped.