steering damper

Topic Author
russvw66

steering damper

Post by russvw66 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:49 am

HI
have a 4" narrowed lowered beam from T2D on van . Have fitted Rack & Pinion steering .The beam dose not have a steering damper
fitted dose anyone know who can supply a clamp for the beam and where I can get a damper to fit. The idler arm looks smaller than
the standard one so I will have to drill and fit the arm .The clamp would allow me to adjust the damper until I got the correct
position .

cheers Russ vw

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Re: steering damper

Post by vwJim » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:54 am

What year is your van?

If the arm doesn't have a hole for the bolt, then it's an earlier arm that had a bracket instead of a hole, and the damper went to the chassis rail.

I've probably for a bracket cut off an OG beam, as I weld those to the beams when they're missing off later splits
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:30 am

what kind or rack & pinion steering ?

Topic Author
russvw66

Post by russvw66 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:08 am

Hi its creative rack n pinion on the van . When T2D fitted the narrowed beam conversion it did not have any bracket or hole in the
idler arm for a steering damper. i was hopeing to fit one but the idler arm is much shorter. I know you can get a clamp to fit the beam
and shure i saw a steering damper that you can connect from the bracket direcly onto the track rod.

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:30 pm

sounds like you have an early pitman arm if it doesnt have a hole for the damper, what year is your bus (early buses didnt have dampers)

sparkyjohn
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by sparkyjohn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Does anyone sell a bolt on mount for 4” narrowed beams? I have an unknown beam in my 62 but I do have a stock pitman arm with the bolt hole for the damper.
I have found a place that sells them for beetles but they won’t fit a bus as the beam tubes are a different diameter.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:37 pm

maddison wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:30 pm
sounds like you have an early pitman arm if it doesnt have a hole for the damper, what year is your bus (early buses didnt have dampers)
Yes they did
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:07 pm

russvw66 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:49 am
dose anyone know who can supply a clamp for the beam and where I can get a damper to fit.

http://www.vintagev-dubs.com/shop/bolt- ... ng-damper/