Wiring loom

Topic Author
Gemmas

Wiring loom

Post by Gemmas » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:17 am

Hi everyone
I have a LHD 66 panel van and looking for someone to fit and supply a whole new loom
To my van , any recommendations of someone to come and supply and fit for me as I’m useless at electrical jobs .. I’m based in Bromsgrove just south of Birmingham

Kind Regards
Gem

jayvanman

Re: Wiring loom

Post by jayvanman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:30 am

Gem, I'm in Bristol and could do this for you but I've got a load on. But rather than pay someone to do why not do it yourself.

Honestly, it's not difficult.

The loom will arrive cut to size with the fittings attached. The wires will be colour coded so it's really easy.

1st of all you need to know what van you've got so you can get the right wiring loom. But if you are starting from fresh I would recommend that you stay away from the American style that uses the brake lights as indicators and has the 9 pin relay.

Also starting from scratch give you a great opportunity to future proof your wiring loom by adding more wires, just ask the people who make the loom to add a few more in ,4 or 5 should do it. Then if you need them in the future they are already there and you don't have the problem of trying to feed a single wire through the chassis.

Here a link to some wiring diagrams. At 1st it might look a bit confusing but really it's not and there aren't many parts to connect up.

Tip - start at the rear lights :-)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... bus_66.jpg
he who sins grins

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:37 am

Volksgoods make the best looms / best customer support to help you install it.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
Gemmas

Post by Gemmas » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:41 am

Hiya , I forgot to mention I’m colour blind so I really don’t think it would be a good idea doing it , when are you next free ? It’s for a LHD American Spec , panel van loom

If any of you can think of anything else ? I need to add I also would like to change all the battery wiring as it all looks a bit manky

Cheers

Topic Author
Gemmas

Post by Gemmas » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:30 am

Can anybody else advise ? Cheers

jayvanman

Post by jayvanman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:20 am

The battery wiring will be part of the loom. Maybe With the exception of the earth strap.

Gem. My red pigment is defective in my eyes so I'm colourblind as well, although maybe not as bad as some. I still see red and all the colours but I have trouble seeing berrys on a holly bush from a distance.

I honestly think you'll be able to do it yourself if you're able bodied.

Jason
he who sins grins

tomster

Post by tomster » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:53 pm

vwJim wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:37 am
Volksgoods make the best looms / best customer support to help you install it.
I second that. Peter does a great job and is reeeaaally helpful. You can also order a loom set including battery/ alternator wiring and/or have some extra cables added to the main loom. Comes in pretty handy if you consider installing oil temp/pressure gauges or other electrical features. Just make sure to tell him whether you have the 9-pin relay installed (or plan on doing so) or if you want to go for the European-style rear lights.

Installing a new loom to a split is far from being rocket-science. I'd self-classify somewhere less-than-zero on a scale from 1-10 when it comes to electrical skills but I think I had it completely installed in a matter of 3-4 hours. Just make sure to start from the back and use the old loom as some sort of pull-in aid.
Being colour-blind might not be the most ideal prerequisite for the job but ask your kids (or any other random person acting as your remote-eyes) for help. What is it? 20 wires or so. Might even be fun for them.

Topic Author
Gemmas

Post by Gemmas » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 pm

Cheers for the advise sounds it’s worth a go and go from there ,

Wish me luck il have a go

jayvanman

Post by jayvanman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:29 am

Hi Gemmas

How are you getting on ?

I'm keen to know who you use for a loom and if you stay with a U.S. Set up or go for a UK one.

Looking ahead I'm sure there will be plenty of other split screen owners that fund theirselves in the same situation that would love to know how you get on and use this thread as a guide/ inspiration.

So please, keep the posts coming and of course, pics !

Good luck

Jason
he who sins grins

jayvanman

Post by jayvanman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:36 am

Gemmas, to help you along I just remembered this epic rebuild thread by MarkP.

This link will take you to his page that contains the wiring, so you can have a look at what he done and give you an idea of what is involved.
https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic ... start=2445
he who sins grins