Steering issues...

Topic Author
PJGoose69

Steering issues...

Post by PJGoose69 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:50 pm

I’ve had my 64 for ten years and over the last 6 months I’ve noticed a strange issue with the steering that is proving hard to solve.
Under power the van feels fine but as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator, unless I’m braking, it starts to wander and is quite worrying.
I’ve stripped the steering box and repacked it with John Deere steering grease, checked and greased the king and links, they were rebuilt ten years ago.
All the track rod ends were done then too and all appear intact.
The damper is working fine.

I’m at a loss.
Under power, no problem.
Braking, no problem.
Foot off the gas whilst moving and it swims from side to side.

Anyone else experience anything like this or can suggest what might be the cause please..?

Dougie
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Re: Steering issues...

Post by Dougie » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:03 pm

Tracking?
SSVC Club President
SSVC Committee - Membership Secretary

Topic Author
PJGoose69

Post by PJGoose69 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:47 pm

Had the tracking and camber set up properly. Nothing has changed since then, it’s just come on this year.

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Reading your description, out sounds like your steering is vague when it's not under load and trying to toe-out. I would lift the front and get someone to rock the wheels left and right to mimic steering and see what the slop is. Lots of linkages and joints that could show wear.

j0hn
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by j0hn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:57 am

When you say wander is it a vague feeling in the steering, or more like it's pulling to one side or another? Does it do it constantly when coasting off power, or just once when you lift off?

58splitty

Post by 58splitty » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:37 pm

How much play is in the steering at stand still?
1958 splitscreen
1969 custom bug (the only bug to have been on the cover of Volksworls and Ultra VW)
1972 roof chopped bug (volksword, street machine, custom car, vw scene)

My invention: www.tapepal.co.uk
New website: www.radialdesign.co.uk

Topic Author
PJGoose69

Post by PJGoose69 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:38 pm

To answer your questions:
It’s vague, a bit like aqua Planing! Horrible feeling of not quite being in control.
Foot back on the gas and it goes away immediately.

There is no excessive play in the steering wheel, no notches or grabbing, I stripped the box in situ, emptied the old oil out and replaced it with new John Deere specific steering box grease.

I can’t fin any play or abnormalities when I jack the bus up and get someone else to turn the steering wheel, neither fis on lock to lock nor by wiggling it.

I’m at a total loss. It’s made me lose confidence in driving the bus, I need to figure it out to get the mojo back!

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:21 pm

Take it somewhere to get a fresh set of eyes on it.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

58splitty

Post by 58splitty » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:13 pm

Could be the tyres, my skinny tyres on the front did this, it felt like it was sliding left and right which made me very nervous
1958 splitscreen
1969 custom bug (the only bug to have been on the cover of Volksworls and Ultra VW)
1972 roof chopped bug (volksword, street machine, custom car, vw scene)

My invention: www.tapepal.co.uk
New website: www.radialdesign.co.uk

j0hn
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by j0hn » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Get under the back and check all the bolts connecting the spring plate to the reduction boxes (or bearing housing if SA).

I had an issue where two threads had stripped in an RGB and the other two had loosened - this caused the RGB to rotate slightly when under power and then rotate back again lifting off, which in turn caused the bus to squirm. When under power or braking the RGB doesn't move as the acceleration/deceleration forces are keeping it in one position or the other. This was before getting mine registered and MOT'd so just driving on an industrial estate - it was pretty unnerving before I figured out what it was!

It doesn't sound exactly like your issues, but worth checking if you've exhausted the front end checks.

russvw66

Post by russvw66 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:22 am

Hi how about getting your van a 4 wheel laser alignment done , this will give the piece of mind that everything
is in straight. Could it be your van rear wheel had hit a pothole or rut on a road and slightly knocked the rear wheel out
of alignment ,you might not notice at high speed but would show up more at slow speed . Hope this might give you another
avenue to check
cheers

monkski

Post by monkski » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:00 pm

I had exactly what you are describing on my van and problem was as j0hn suggests - loose bolts on rhs spring plate ( in fact one was stripped and missing).

Topic Author
PJGoose69

Post by PJGoose69 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Just to finalise this thread, I eventually found the issue and managed to rectify it!

The rear n/s castle nut had worked loose, not entirely ugh to break the split pin, but enough to bend it and hence create lateral movement of the drum on the spline.
This created a wobble on the wheel when either not under power or when braking, which stopped the drum “wobbling”, and when off power and not braking was allowing the wheel to wobble and create the swimming vagueness, which in turn made me think the steering was the issue!

So all in all, an easy fix: torque up the castle nut and a new split pin, plus I’d adjusted all the brakes anyway. First drive out was lovely! All sorted...

Hope that info might help someone else one day?

Cheers for all the suggestions, Goose

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:08 pm

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:45 am

nice one for updating with the cause ;-)