rear back plate /handbrake cable removal

Topic Author
jon parker

rear back plate /handbrake cable removal

Post by jon parker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:09 am

I'm trying to take the transmission out of my bus and having problems removing the hand brake cables so I can remove the back plates. They need cleaning. The 13mm bolt on the cable clamp (?) refuses to budge, I don't want to use heat for risk of damaging the cable and fire. Am I doing it right is there another way (drill it out ?). I'm guessing that this is a fairly common problem. Any advice most welcome. Jon

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: rear back plate /handbrake cable removal

Post by Who.Me? » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:37 am

Which end?

Up front should be a nut. At the back should be the fitting to go over the brake actuator. I'm sure I pulled through from back to front when installing, so you need to release the nut up front and pull back through.

If you've a non stock trans or later trans in an early bus, someone may have rigged up fittings up front as there are no stock cables to fit. If so, you may have to cut the end of and buy new cables. Depends how it was done.

Post pictures here.

Topic Author
jon parker

Post by jon parker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:24 am

Thank you. So the only way is to remove the cable from the front?

I'm still a bit confused (sorry to be thick).
The cable outer is still attached to the back plate they can't be separated?
It looks like the this part of the bus hasn't been touched since 1964 when it was new.
Strange how little information there is in the manual or anywhere about this I'll have a look at you tube to see how the "rednecks" do it !

thanks again Jon

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:42 am

Ah, the Bowden tube sheath may be held with a clip inside the back plate. Think that changed over the years though. Yours may need and have them, although often they're gone.

I don't have the clips on mine (I have a 67 trans in my 56 single cab). Sometimes that causes problems releasing the handbrake, but mine's been ok, and the clips are no longer available. I haven't had a problem.

Look here...https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... brake+clip

Topic Author
jon parker

Post by jon parker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks again. I think that's the answer.
I had look on you tube. Someone working on a bug (called Rosie) she just got a socket on it and gave it some...I'll keep nagging away, eventually somethings got to give.

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:52 pm

On mine (67) the handbrake cable outer sheath/collar end fits into a stamped retainer on the back of the brake backplate - one side slid out easy - the other side was absolutely solid - spent too many hours trying to get it free - eventually just drilled out the couple of spot welds holding the retainer onto the back plate and took the cables out with it still attached as they pull out from behind the back plate, so the retainer went with it - it went back like that too - just used a couple of small self tappers to reattach the retainer plate back onto the brake backplate.

I drilled out the spot welds and removed it within 10 minutes! afters spending a stupid amount of time trying to free it up!

Topic Author
jon parker

Post by jon parker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:34 pm

I like that idea ! I too have labored too long my friend.

Let's get jiggy widdit (whatever that means)!

Thanks Jon

Topic Author
jon parker

Post by jon parker » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:06 am

I don't know if anyone will see this, but I have finally removed the handbrake cable (1964). I found that the outer sheath on the cable was just a (tight) friction fit into the fitting on the back plate (which is very similar to the ones on thesamba forum posted earlier but without the bent over retaining part).

I am still puzzled: The guide section fitting is adequately secured to the back plate by a 13mm bolt, but someone has also pop riveted it. I looks as as though it might originally have been spot welded like the one described above, and similarly they were drilled out.

BUT WHY WAS IT BOLTED AND WELDED IN THE FIRST PLACE ????? and more importantly do I need to do the same or can I rely on the bolt ??? Any thoughts anyone what does vwJim think ?