Rear airbags PSV/MOT FAIL NOW passed whoop whoop

Topic Author
slippy8v

Rear airbags PSV/MOT FAIL NOW passed whoop whoop

Post by slippy8v » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:14 pm

A simple question (its never simple I know) the van failed the PSV/mot today I am over in Northern Ireland so legislation is different

due to having dual airbags only on the rear no shocks, this set up was put on by a previous owner, the tester said he has to see some sort of damping, to be honest I never was 100% happy with the setup.
I was told the airbag set up was got from lime Bug
So to keep it simple I hope to remove the rear airbags and fit a set of adjustable coil overs so heres the question, what have you fitted that bolts straight on , have had red9 recommended.

The tester would be happy If I can show him a specification sheet which confirms internal damping in the airbag, I have searched but cant find any info.
Last edited by slippy8v on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Rear airbags PSV/MOT FAIL help needed

Post by ted698 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:33 pm

Even though its bagged it still needs dampers though - so I'd agree with the tester tbh.
Do air bags have internal damping? never heard of that before...

Topic Author
slippy8v

Re: Rear airbags PSV/MOT FAIL help needed

Post by slippy8v » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:16 pm

ted698
been very stressful few days, new shocks ordered, new mount bolts ordered and weld in bottom mounts ordered. Van on a lift to check where I can fit new bottom mounts measured up about 10 times lol Got an unexpected phone call from the MOT centre today and after a long conversion it turns out they had agreed that the vans rear suspension had passed the roller test and there fore the van was OK ref the airbags, just need to take her back for a retest ref the headlight dip blew a fuse on the day of the test which I have now sorted I hope, so all being well ref the lights she will get a pass. Will be keeping the shocks as I will probably go back to the standard set up.

Topic Author
slippy8v

Re: Rear airbags PSV/MOT FAIL help needed Now passed whoop whoop

Post by slippy8v » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Its been a roller coaster few days with the split-screen but we are over the moon to now have her PSV’D for the 1st time.
IMG_2795.jpg

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Rear airbags PSV/MOT FAIL NOW passed whoop whoop

Post by JonnyCJ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:16 pm

Well done !

I got the MOT tester to stick a greasy thumbs up thumbprint in the blank section where advisories should go when I got my first MoT.

He does it every year now :D

Topic Author
slippy8v

Re: Rear airbags PSV/MOT FAIL NOW passed whoop whoop

Post by slippy8v » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Well hopefully the issue with airbag and no shock absorber is now fixed we managed to fit a new bottom mount bracket and fit new shocks a bit fiddly but really glad to have the use of a drive on lift.There is a marked improvement in the ride now, once I’m happy with the fit I will get the lower bracket welded in place. While she was on the ramp we changed the cv boot clamp on one side to a large hose clip as there had been slight oil leak after they had been renewed.
IMG_6850.jpg
IMG_2810.jpg