Jacking points - are they necessary..?!

Topic Author
SplitMind

Jacking points - are they necessary..?!

Post by SplitMind » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:32 pm

I'm in the process of replacing all 4 outriggers, sills etc on my bus and have been debating with myself whether or not to bother fitting jacking points, and I'm interested in other opinions.

The bus is Brazilian, so I'm not desperately worried about originality - and it seems to me the design of the jacking points is just another rust trap to create future problems, but I'm aware also they provide some additional structural rigidity from outrigger to sill...

So, am I daft to be even thinking this, or do other folk leave them out when rebuilding...?

MarkFer
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Jacking points - are they necessary..?!

Post by MarkFer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:08 pm

Mine didn't have them when I bought it and I ran it that way for 7 seven years. However I'll have the same decision to make shortly when I finish replacing sills etc. I'm not sure either. I did think about making/altering them with just a flat plate, with maybe a centre hole for location, so normal jacks can be used there. But I'm not anywhere near a decision...

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 pm

I never jack on them anyway, so left them off, as they're terrible mud traps
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
SplitMind

Post by SplitMind » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:55 am

Cheers Jim, my thoughts exactly - it's a brave man who'd jack up a VW on anything other than chassis or suspension!!

DOUGAL
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DOUGAL » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:28 pm

I've got them and now carry an original jack. I got a flat tyre a while back but didn't have a jack with me at the time.
The breakdown service had problems jacking the van up and chance the wheel. The jack they had with them didn't lift the van high enough. My van is stock height. Make sure you have the right jack with you when you travel!

Cheers,
Gertjan
Interested in 1/4 light/sliding window locks? Please PM me.
Available colours: black, blue, red, yellow, white, grey, green and purple
Link to forum post