Front shocks recommendation - stock vs aftermarket?

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Location: Weymouth, Dorset, Fitting a smaller engine in the van!

Front shocks recommendation - stock vs aftermarket?

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

So, i`ve got a late split front suspension (happens to be on a 68 bay, but i don`t think that matters too much here).

I have dropped spindles fitted - so, the suspsension travel and distance between the shock mounts stays the same although the van is riding 3.5 inches lower because of the spindles.

Is there actually any difference in the stock front shocks (reasonable priced at £32 ish each) -

like this -

https://www.vwheritage.com/113513031g-s ... -67-frt-rr

to purchasing some of the expensive aftermarket shocks which seem to be priced anywhere upto £200 each!
Build thread here :)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=92787

philsparks
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Front shocks recommendation - stock vs aftermarket?

Post by philsparks »

Buy the ones from type2 detective Bilstein ones yellow and blue. Excellent transformed my ride. I have dropped spindles same as you. I tried cheap ones but threw them away after a year.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Thanks - I was looking at the type 2 detectives ones.
How did they transform the ride - what was the ride like before and after?

philsparks
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by philsparks »

The ride is really smooth and more controlled than before. I have done over 2k miles with them and no complaints. The cheap ones were OK but after a year were very bouncy.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Hi,

Thanks for advice - i actually think i`m going to go for some stock Wolksburg West ones actually as they`re £35 each and my budget is already pretty stretched!

I`ll see how they go - i can always upgrade them in a year or so if needs be!

Cheers, Mike

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 »

I have been researching shocks myself - I replaced my original oil shocks with some cheap oil filled COFAP ones (brazilian) - I bought them v cheap from DubFreeze a couple of years ago - they came off brand new T2's out of the Danbury factory - they had piles and piles of them for £20 a pair.... I asked the guys selling them what they fitted when they took them off - I think he said Spax as an upgrade....

I can now see why they take them off - they are worse than the ones I took off - they are very bouncy - my van now handles like a Galleon coming about in a storm on undulating roads....

A 'thesamba' thread really rated and recommended oil filled Koni's - these 'special red' 80-1349 and 80-1350's came highly recommended by quite a few people (although they were american and their roads are different kettle of fish to the UK generally) - you can get them various places like here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KONI-New-4x-C ... 2273815153

But they are still quite pricey for a full set

The samba thread really discouraged the use of Gas shocks saying they are always under gas tension so made the suspension sit up tall against the pressure of the shock - how true this is I don't know....

N.B stock height with stock spindles, so I like a comfy ride, but not a scary one! hahahahaha

passion4
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Location: Hastings, East Sussex... yep, that's 5 mins walk to the sea! :-)

Post by passion4 »

63CorvairSplit wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:36 am
Hi,

Thanks for advice - i actually think i`m going to go for some stock Wolksburg West ones actually as they`re £35 each and my budget is already pretty stretched!

I`ll see how they go - i can always upgrade them in a year or so if needs be!

Cheers, Mike
Any updates after some time of use?
‘impossible just shows a lack of imagination’

vdubxs
Aircooled Adventures

exclusive VW Split Screen T-Shirts and bumper stickers for sale… (and Schwimmwagen ones too!)

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Hi - I ended up picking up some hardly used t2d ones - the yellow bilstein ones.

To be honest, they`re pretty good and give a nice ride :-)

passion4
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by passion4 »

63CorvairSplit wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:48 pm
Hi - I ended up picking up some hardly used t2d ones - the yellow bilstein ones.

To be honest, they`re pretty good and give a nice ride :-)
Were the Bilstein ones for a lowered bus?

vdubxs
Aircooled Adventures

exclusive VW Split Screen T-Shirts and bumper stickers for sale… (and Schwimmwagen ones too!)

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

I think so - not sure! It was the t2d I ones they sell for lowered vans

passion4
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by passion4 »

Would you say they’ve made a noticeable difference to the ride/handling?

vdubxs
Aircooled Adventures

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

No idea I'm afraid - van had been off the road for many years beforehand!

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 »

ted698 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:38 am
I have been researching shocks myself - I replaced my original oil shocks with some cheap oil filled COFAP ones (brazilian) - I bought them v cheap from DubFreeze a couple of years ago - they came off brand new T2's out of the Danbury factory - they had piles and piles of them for £20 a pair.... I asked the guys selling them what they fitted when they took them off - I think he said Spax as an upgrade....

I can now see why they take them off - they are worse than the ones I took off - they are very bouncy - my van now handles like a Galleon coming about in a storm on undulating roads....

A 'thesamba' thread really rated and recommended oil filled Koni's - these 'special red' 80-1349 and 80-1350's came highly recommended by quite a few people (although they were american and their roads are different kettle of fish to the UK generally) - you can get them various places like here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KONI-New-4x-C ... 2273815153

But they are still quite pricey for a full set

The samba thread really discouraged the use of Gas shocks saying they are always under gas tension so made the suspension sit up tall against the pressure of the shock - how true this is I don't know....

N.B stock height with stock spindles, so I like a comfy ride, but not a scary one! hahahahaha
I posted this above a few months ago - I did order the Red KONI adjustables in the end after a lot of recommendations\reading on TheSamba - and what a transformation! - the body is so much more controlled now, and the ride is transformed - I'm even tempted to say they are the best thing I have ever bought for my bus.
I have thrown the el cheapo COFAP's in the bin - I couldn't bring myself to inflict them on anyone else!
I run the front fully un-adjusted for comfort and the rears just 180deg/half turn stiffer - I read somewhere (Ratwell) that this seemed the best settings after testing - and I certainly have no complaints when set at this.
See http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Koni.html although this is mostly about Bay Window, a bit is Split.