Vintage speed classic quick change gear stick.

Topic Author
RPATTZ

Vintage speed classic quick change gear stick.

Post by RPATTZ » Fri May 06, 2016 7:11 pm

Has anyone got any tips on fitting a vintage speed classic quick change gear stick or is it pretty straight forward and how does the reverse lock out work. Noticed the stick is pulled up instead of down unlike stock.
Cheers

split999
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Vintage speed classic quick change gear stick.

Post by split999 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:44 pm

It's very straight forward. The reverse lock out is as you rightly say, a lift rather than a push like stock, don't really know how it operates inside because I've never been bothered to look. All sorts itself out. Just make sure you fit the plate the correct way round that sits under the base, otherwise it won't select reverse.

Hth
66 UK RHD 11
70 911 Coupé
59 NSU Prima III KL

Topic Author
RPATTZ

Post by RPATTZ » Sat May 07, 2016 12:19 am

Cheers! I take it the lock out pin for reverse which moves up or down on the shaft faces in the right direction. ( towards the passenger seat) for location on the raised lip on the edge off the plate for reverse gear.

DoubleD
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DoubleD » Sun May 08, 2016 6:10 am

I fitted one of these (RHD) and it works very smoothly in all the forward gears. Getting into reverse is also quite straightforward, by pulling upwards, as said above. However, moving out of reverse into first is a bit strange. There seems to be a brief delay in releasing caused by something in the internals of the base of the gearshift. On occasion it has been difficult to get out of reverse, particularly when shifting in a hurry.

This could be down to adjustment of the base plate, but I'm concerned that if I start messing about I will lose the very nice shifting action that I currently have with the forward gears. So far I have lived with the issue by being careful when shifting out of reverse, but ideally I would like to improve on the reverse release action.

Has anyone had a similar experience with a VS gear shifter? Is it an issue with the design or can it be adjusted out? Can anyone suggest how the base plate should be moved to improve the reverse release action?

Thanks,
Dave.

Abbo

Post by Abbo » Tue May 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Mines ok it does come loose at the base of the stick where the nut is & it does have a lot of play has been like this from new .i did contact dan to see if this was normal but had no reply .

susta
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by susta » Tue May 10, 2016 10:54 pm

Surprise Surprise, mine is fine but with other issues the buck is passed !!!

DoubleD
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DoubleD » Wed May 11, 2016 6:39 am

Thanks for the comments guys.

Susta, do you get even a slight hesitation when disengaging reverse which you don't experience when selecting any of the forward gears. If not, then maybe mine is down to adjustment (or lack of) and then it's the old problem of which way to move the base plate!

Karl_F
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Karl_F » Wed May 11, 2016 11:25 am

There's a fault with early models, the base pin is made from stainless & will snapped under fatigue as I found out on the way to Santa pod. Later versions have a titanium base with a captive left hand nut holding the gear lever. Basically if you just have a plain nut against the shaft its the early version, its coming loose because the thread is weakening & it will snap eventually, its a crap design.

If it does happen I can repair it fairly easily, so give me a shout or kick off at VS demanding a replacement. I'll post up photos of the later version tomorrow.

Snapped early version

Repair

Karl

1960 Mango 11 window

Mango build thread

Instagram & Facebook @ 73Aircooled

susta
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by susta » Wed May 11, 2016 12:01 pm

DoubleD wrote:Thanks for the comments guys.

Susta, do you get even a slight hesitation when disengaging reverse which you don't experience when selecting any of the forward gears. If not, then maybe mine is down to adjustment (or lack of) and then it's the old problem of which way to move the base plate!
Mine is the newer model, so hopefully all good. Think I may have just got lucky when setting it up as it worked fine straight out of the box, but there was instructions about how to tweak it

Karl_F
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Karl_F » Wed May 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Karl

1960 Mango 11 window

Mango build thread

Instagram & Facebook @ 73Aircooled

DoubleD
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DoubleD » Wed May 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Thanks both. Those instructions will be useful - I didn't get them with mine even though I bought it new from VS at the Volksworld show about 3 or 4 years ago. Mine is the handed, non-adjustable type, so it's probably early enough to have the weak bit in it.

I'm going to take it apart and check it out - could be embarrassing or even dangerous if it falls apart whilst travelling. I'll also try setting it up using those instructions.

Cheers,
Dave.