What front shock

Topic Author
wizard 1066

What front shock

Post by wizard 1066 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:17 pm

Been running around with a lowered bus for a while now, and we know the ride quality isnt great, but want to improve things.

Just got a good used beam, its from an early bay 1968 year so will fit onto the front of our 1967 bus, comes with ball joints and discs, as we still like the lowered look its got adjusters welded in, but this time we will be fitting dropped spindles from Dream Machine in France.

We have used stock front shocks in the past we would like some input as to what people use on their lowered vans, and not just the best.

BlackSmoke
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: What front shock

Post by BlackSmoke » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:47 pm

I'm running on early bay front with 3.5 dropped spindles and discs, ride quality is good with loads of bounce.

With standard commercial tyres I'm getting a lot of tyre scrubbing with heavy load. Also getting arch catching when braking sharply with full lock.

I've done one a bit of research and it sounds like "GAZ" adjustable shocks may be a good solution to my wheel scub - reduces the softness but I guess everything is a trade off - don't like the look of low profile tyres (or the load rating! ).

Intrested in this thread as I have to make a final decision on the "GAZ" shock or... ??

As an aside, the disc brakes were disappointing until matched with a VwJim inline brake servo.

split999
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by split999 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:31 pm

I've just fitted Gaz adjustable front shocks. Yet to take it out on the road, but just by shifting it around the workshop it feels good. I'll post when I've driven it which will be early this week.

If you decide on Gaz, give Mark a call at Gazmatic and he will sort you out with the right shocks for your measurements.

Hth
66 UK RHD 11
70 911 Coupé
59 NSU Prima III KL

OP
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by OP » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:23 pm

split999 wrote:I've just fitted Gaz adjustable front shocks. Yet to take it out on the road, but just by shifting it around the workshop it feels good. I'll post when I've driven it which will be early this week.

If you decide on Gaz, give Mark a call at Gazmatic and he will sort you out with the right shocks for your measurements.

Hth
Be interested to hear how it drives as thinking of putting them on mine.
www.dubberware.com "Personalise Your Ride"
Official SSVC forum Username stickers. Decals, Bespoke Decals & Clothing.

'Ron' the 55 Portuguese bus ST-14-96

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:38 pm

bay balljoint beam on lowered split

you do know the bay beams tubs are further apart, i.e, the lower tube sits much nearer the floor than a splitty on, so if you go low on a BJ beam, the bottom of the beam tends to hit the floor over certain bumpy roads (at least mine did) saved the steering box i guess, as he beam would hit the floor before the box

split999
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by split999 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:48 pm

OP wrote:
split999 wrote:I've just fitted Gaz adjustable front shocks. Yet to take it out on the road, but just by shifting it around the workshop it feels good. I'll post when I've driven it which will be early this week.

Hth
Be interested to hear how it drives as thinking of putting them on mine.

So far so good Neale.

Drove it today first time. There's 20 "clicks" on the adjuster knob. Anti clock - softest, clockwise - hardest.

First off I set it to 5 clicks from softest. Was ok but a little soft I thought. Got to my destination and wound up to 10 clicks, mid setting. I'm happy at 10. Speed bumps were very nice to go over, and I have to say better than my coil overs from before, although they were sitting on non-narrowed bottom trailing arm mounts and therefore not exactly vertical.

I'm happy and based on the 30 miles I covered today, would recommend them.

Hth
66 UK RHD 11
70 911 Coupé
59 NSU Prima III KL

Topic Author
wizard 1066

Post by wizard 1066 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:31 am

Thanks for the feed back, Been looking at getting these or similar for our split, we have just taken delivery of 2.5" dropped spindles from Dream Machine VW parts in France, as we have a early bay ball joint on the van these were on offer at £196, so will have to see what size "how long" they will need to be from maximum to minimum before we order them, dont want to get the wrong size, good thing they are adjustable.

split999
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by split999 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:51 am

if you go with Gaz, ring them direct with your mount to mount measurements. They will give you the correct length shocks with the correct ratio of up and down travel.

Hth
66 UK RHD 11
70 911 Coupé
59 NSU Prima III KL

Topic Author
wizard 1066

Post by wizard 1066 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:07 am

What price are they for the fronts, as we had a set on our mini and paid about £90 for all 4.

split999
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by split999 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:01 pm

wizard 1066 wrote:What price are they for the fronts, as we had a set on our mini and paid about £90 for all 4.
The shocks are £47.50 each. Plus vat & post comes to £127.00
66 UK RHD 11
70 911 Coupé
59 NSU Prima III KL

Sjtw
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Sjtw » Mon May 02, 2016 11:29 am

I have a bay beam and just put new shocks on.
You need to measure the distance between the two fixing points for the shock when it off the ground and the shock isn't attached, then have a look on the creative engineering website for that measurement and it will tell you what length shock to buy. (Not necessarily from them). According to them You shouldn't fix or buy shocks before you know this size.
I bought their spax adjustable shocks and they're very good.
https://creative-engineering.com/produc ... bers-each/
Steve

OP
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by OP » Mon May 02, 2016 12:57 pm

Cheers for the update mate, what are they like on the open road? My K&L pin beam is silly bouncy :/
www.dubberware.com "Personalise Your Ride"
Official SSVC forum Username stickers. Decals, Bespoke Decals & Clothing.

'Ron' the 55 Portuguese bus ST-14-96

Cleverchap

Post by Cleverchap » Mon May 02, 2016 1:30 pm

I'm about to fit this in my 65, also running 3.5inch flipped spindles.

I was convinced to go with the GAZ coil overs after hearing rave reviews about them on the EarlyBay forum (ball joint beam you see ;) )
|o\*/o|

BlackSmoke
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BlackSmoke » Tue May 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Ohh errr... I was looking at the Gaz GT, didn't think about the coilovers because it sounds like the GT adjustable would be ok.

But it looks like those coilovers have the adjusting knob too.

Now I'm in a bit unsure - with 3.5" dropped spindles and a bit of tyre scrub over bumps with heavy load, should I be thinking about Gaz Adjustable with/without coilovers? Maybe a chat with Gasmatic is in order.

Cleverchap

Post by Cleverchap » Tue May 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Apparently with 3.5 dropped spindles these are the puppies you want. I'm a bit late to the party but others have done a shed load of research on them.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45111 Check the replies when it comes to these coil overs, also all pat numbers are listed.
The only difference between peoples set ups is wether to get 9inch or 10 inch length 150lbs springs.
|o\*/o|