Which shocks for IRS conversion

Topic Author
PIPKIN

Which shocks for IRS conversion

Post by PIPKIN » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi folks,

Would like to order some shocks for my bus IRS conversion.

Will standard shocks fit if the bus is moderately lowered?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Restoring a splittie is like have the worlds biggest meccano kit but someone has thrown away the instructions.

philsparks
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Which shocks for IRS conversion

Post by philsparks » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:47 pm

I used the bilstein yellow and blue ones shocks from type two detective my van is lowered by 4 inches and they work great. Not cheap though. Give them a call they are very helpful

Phil

Topic Author
PIPKIN

Post by PIPKIN » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:01 pm

Phil, Cheers for the pointer.

Paul
Restoring a splittie is like have the worlds biggest meccano kit but someone has thrown away the instructions.

split999
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by split999 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:25 pm

I think I'm right in saying you should measure mount to mount only when the bus is sitting level on the ground, with engine in etc and interior etc, this way you can select the correct shock with the correct amount of travel in either direction.

Hth
66 UK RHD 11
70 911 Coupé
59 NSU Prima III KL

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:48 am

split999 wrote:I think I'm right in saying you should measure mount to mount only when the bus is sitting level on the ground, with engine in etc and interior etc, this way you can select the correct shock with the correct amount of travel in either direction.

Hth
Yes you are correct. Also don't forget that the top mounting point will be in a different place to an original bus.
Spax adjustable all the way for me if I was buying again, at present I have KYB-GR2 which are fine but they're not adjustable.

Cheers, Lee.
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

flatbeat
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by flatbeat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:47 pm

When the bus I'd fully loaded measure from the top to bottom mount and then contact Creative Engineering with the measurements and they will supply the correct length Spax adjustable shocks. They supply 11 different lengths so you can be sure to get the correct ones for your buses ride height.
As Lee says Spax all the way. Its all I've ever used and never had a problem with them in over 30 yrs.
Packed a few belongings and headed out to Pirates Cove. In my buddy’s old grey Kombi we rolled until the gas got low.....

1965 11 Window aka 'Rustina'.
1961 Beetle.

split999
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by split999 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:53 pm

66 UK RHD 11
70 911 Coupé
59 NSU Prima III KL

davebug

Post by davebug » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:38 pm

Good luck with creative , happily take money and wait forever for parts to arrive as not actually in stock :twisted:

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:14 pm

You'll find that a lot of companies don't carry a lot of stock. Bear in mind that with expensive items that don't get ordered every day it doesn't make economic sense to hold stock.

If they did they'd have to put the prices up, or go out of business and then there'd be no one to supply the kit in the first place.

I take it you're not in business yourself ?

davebug

Post by davebug » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:36 pm

For reference yes I am in business as it happens , and I don't take payments or orders for things I don't even have , but if this is the practise they use they should at least let the customer know it's not in stock to therefore give them the option to shop elsewhere not keep them hanging in limbo wondering what on earth is happening .

flatbeat
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by flatbeat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:49 pm

davebug wrote:Good luck with creative , happily take money and wait forever for parts to arrive as not actually in stock :twisted:

Well I decided that the shocks I was going to fit on the 15 were too short cos of raising it a bit,got in contact with Mandy at C&E
and said I needed them ASAP and they arrived the next day!!! They even offered to take the original pair back even tho I'd said I'd trial fitted them.

Never ever had a problem waiting for stuff.
Packed a few belongings and headed out to Pirates Cove. In my buddy’s old grey Kombi we rolled until the gas got low.....

1965 11 Window aka 'Rustina'.
1961 Beetle.

tufty65

Post by tufty65 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:31 pm

The only way is to measure between the top and bottom mounts and go from there.
I recommend protech shocks, much lighter than spax and they aren't a hideous colour, really nicely engineered and you can get them supplied with rose joint ends as IRS conversions normally end up with the top and bottom mounts being offset which wears the rubber bushes on the shocks.
OFF 35
Et 12.64@106.25
http://www.offdrc.co.uk/