Where have you put your turbo?

Topic Author
wejjy

Post by wejjy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:25 am

Hi guys,

Ive been doing a fair bit of google searching and forum hunting for pictures of where folks mount the turbos on their buses. Haven't found a huge amount so was wondering what the general consensus is?

I know a few mount them under the battery tray, should be ok, but I am running very very low so am keen to hear how people cope with placing them elsewhere, ie next to gearbox, in engine bay itself etc?

Any pictures of the above would be hugely appreciated too!

Thanks guys.
Stock is good, its just that low and fast is better!!

flatbeat
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Where have you put your turbo?

Post by flatbeat » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:41 am

Here ya go :wink:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Packed a few belongings and headed out to Pirates Cove. In my buddy’s old grey Kombi we rolled until the gas got low.....

1965 11 Window aka 'Rustina'.
1961 Beetle.

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:47 am

flatbeat wrote:Here ya go :wink:
Nice 8)

I know very little about turbos but I'd have thought that in the engine bay was a definite no-no due to the heat it generates? I've seen oil coolers sited in the engine what as well and always thought that a bit odd too as you're generating heat in an area that you're trying to keep cool :?

Cheers, Lee.
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:54 pm

Lee,

Yes it is, IMHO, daft to put the turbo in the engine bay, which is why these aren't in the engine bay.

Some people do it though, guess they like engines with short lives, or customers that come back frequently for rebuilds.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
wejjy

Post by wejjy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Cheers guys! Always super helpful. The engine bay query arose from seeing Trevors turbo half out of the engine lid, putting it inside the actual bay I know is just bad.

My issue is how to get equal length primaries in a twin scroll setup with virtually no ground clearance. Things are never simple are they! If I remove any one of the above its reasonably simple! I like the pictures of the one in the valance, just need to check size and clearances. Thanks guys.

orb

Post by orb » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:23 pm

Hey dude
Trevors is where it is for very good reason (he's not as silly as he looks in his fez), not just to try and let some heat escape but also so the header is all equal length - a lot of thought and research went into this.

The guy who built it is a genius and builds proper systems for Ferraris and Lambourginis etc and just happens to have a passion for VW's. He will build and design what you want. If you look at race beetles they usually mount them central and high (hanging out the back) which isn't really an option for us.

Are you still using it on the road? If not then it can really be placed in the optimum position as long as you're happy having it sitting in the load area. Also what turbo are you running? There are massive gains to be had from the custom built precision one like Trevs running, only downside is the cost!!!

Trevor will talk your ears off on this subject but be prepared to have the full charge cooler can't too (can't stress how important getting the intake temp down is) plus the water meth discussion too - it's the way forward ;-)

Orb

My Bus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7deu8L0ra4
PB 15.126 @ 83.26 mph EBI 2015

tufty65

Post by tufty65 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:38 pm

Don't have the air intake in the engine bay like the CB performance ones do as it just sucks all the hot air back into the engine!
OFF 35
Et 12.64@106.25
http://www.offdrc.co.uk/

Topic Author
wejjy

Post by wejjy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:28 pm

orb wrote:Hey dude
Trevors is where it is for very good reason (he's not as silly as he looks in his fez), not just to try and let some heat escape but also so the header is all equal length - a lot of thought and research went into this.

The guy who built it is a genius and builds proper systems for Ferraris and Lambourginis etc and just happens to have a passion for VW's. He will build and design what you want. If you look at race beetles they usually mount them central and high (hanging out the back) which isn't really an option for us.

Are you still using it on the road? If not then it can really be placed in the optimum position as long as you're happy having it sitting in the load area. Also what turbo are you running? There are massive gains to be had from the custom built precision one like Trevs running, only downside is the cost!!!

Trevor will talk your ears off on this subject but be prepared to have the full charge cooler can't too (can't stress how important getting the intake temp down is) plus the water meth discussion too - it's the way forward ;-)

Orb
Hi mate,

I wasn't suggesting anything untoward and the results speak for themselves on the decision thats for sure. Im sorry if it came across as a dig, it definitely wasn't, more an inquisitive remark. Part of my reason for asking the question is that with a twin scroller getting nice bends and equal lengths is a must, and all of my designs so far end up with the turbo somewhere central, otherwise you end up with equal length but uneven radii bends from one pair to the other, which I dont want. So the option of it poking through, means that it gets airflow and is central correct?

It will be used on the road yep, but I dont mind a compromise on aesthetics over the performance. I already have a Water Meth setup, but am working on an intercooler rather than charge cooler at the moment, thoughts please?!? Im running a Borg Warner Turbo, its an S300SX with a 0.76 AR and a 56mm comp wheel so should be good for a 2316 with the spec I am running. Hopefully, it was recommended by Walter and his bug went well :)

Cheers for the input mate, it will be great to actually catch up with you face to face one of these days! How long ago was Brooklands?!?

Cheers,

Wejj
Last edited by wejjy on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
wejjy

Post by wejjy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:29 pm

tufty65 wrote:Don't have the air intake in the engine bay like the CB performance ones do as it just sucks all the hot air back into the engine!
Cheers dude, maybe I can pop that into the engine lid?? We will see, going to mock up tomorrow I think...

flatbeat
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by flatbeat » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:50 pm

The CB type like mine in the pic above? You can do some simple things to mitigate the amount of engine bay heat being sucked up. The engine tins/engine bay seals fit perfectly...no gaps and although not fitted in the pic there's a rubber seal around the induction pipe that seal that where it come s through. But the biggest and easiest thing to feed cold air is to drop this pipe over the filter and fix the open end just inside the right hand engine bay vent. Easy to whip it off for any show purposes.

And I haven't taken you comments as a dig :wink: just pointing out simple solutions :D

I like the look of the filter where it is and if power was my ultimate goal....I'd wind the boost up :lol:
It's old school carbs and only running 8 psi (although I built them to take 28-30 psi before leaking) but that's giving around 225-230 bhp and + 40 @ 12 psi.....but it was never built for power and it'll stay at 8 where it should be pretty much stress free.

But..... I've been down this road before and know how addictive power can be/is....... :lol:
Now where's that boost controller :wink: :lol:
Attachments
image.jpeg
Pipe fits tight over filter
Packed a few belongings and headed out to Pirates Cove. In my buddy’s old grey Kombi we rolled until the gas got low.....

1965 11 Window aka 'Rustina'.
1961 Beetle.

orb

Post by orb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:12 am

Hey dude

I didnt for one second think you were having a dig mate, Trevors bus is the ultimate love it or hate it bus so why should the turbo position be any different ;-)

Yep, where its placed is exactly that, half out for heat dissipation and central to create the equal lengths and smooth radius bends.

Intercooler might be fine for the road, anything to bring the temp down is good and will obviously allow higher boost. Trevors has two rads, one underneath in the airflow and a second under the rear seat built into an ice box, it all works great and allows him to run race fuel and higher boost but does rather hinge on your ability to get ice! It's great that they now sell it at the pod but water meth is the way forward.

Turbo look sweet :-)

Brooklands...... Bloody hell,that was a while ago

Catch ya so mate

Orb

My Bus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7deu8L0ra4
PB 15.126 @ 83.26 mph EBI 2015

paul_f
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by paul_f » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:17 am

Where are you going to put the intercooler? In Wally's bug the intercooler is in the airflow, I don't think you could put it in the airflow in a bus. If it doesn't have a lot of air going across it then it can be worse than not having an intercooler as you get a pressure drop across the intercooler.

Topic Author
wejjy

Post by wejjy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:42 pm

paul_f wrote:Where are you going to put the intercooler? In Wally's bug the intercooler is in the airflow, I don't think you could put it in the airflow in a bus. If it doesn't have a lot of air going across it then it can be worse than not having an intercooler as you get a pressure drop across the intercooler.
Thats the next issue, hence the chargecooler question as they are more compact and allow me to mount another rad under the bus, which is a lot simpler. Originally it was going right across the engine lid (its 600x300x50mm) with the number plate cut out and a couple of fans mounted to suck air through but thats not going to work! Its a packaging nightmare, and the more I look the more I wish I had just gone none turbo... Doh!

Does anyone know if Borgs can be clocked??

Will put some pics on later so I can get some help from you guys...

Thanks for the help so far!

tufty65

Post by tufty65 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:22 pm

This is an old picture but my charge-cooler fits neatly in the engine bay and works really well,

Richie Webb has a used one exactly like mine for sale on the cal-look lounge for £60 :wink:
OFF 35
Et 12.64@106.25
http://www.offdrc.co.uk/

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:14 pm

My chargecooler is a lot smaller and less restrictive (in terms of accessing the spark plugs etc.

Works really well and only allows the the intake air temp to increase a few degrees, (less than 10), when at 12psi and 200bhp.

Personally I think the 'equal header' lengths isn't all that important in a turbo engine. Yes, get them similar, but packaging is so tight so you have to balance your compromises. High turbos are great for oil return, but I wouldn't want to cut the deck lid etc.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.