T2 'novice' help.

Topic Author
longoverdue

T2 'novice' help.

Post by longoverdue » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:18 pm

Dear all SSVC experts, need help of the basic and (to some?) very familiar kind. My '67 RHD is currently with a restoration garage but seems to be somewhat slow in its reanimation, ten months slow. So far all works done have been 'tin' work, circa >£6Ks worth and whilst I have photos to show pre and post, feel a need to put a rocket up their derriere. A local acquaintance who had completed his T2 renovation, within his single garage, in six months has suggested that maybe I should pay lump sums 'up front', as opposed to my payments when invoices arrive? Also specifying just what the amounts are for. Therefore the nub of this boring ramble, suggestions of roundabout cost for rewire, engine rebuild and re-spray would be a good start? As said, pure novice but do need to get it right. Thanks one and all for your time.

Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: T2 'novice' help.

Post by Hongkongphooey » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:37 pm

Bit of a piece of string question with the wiring/engine & paint costs to be honest, paint could be anything from £2k for a blow over to £10k+ for a proper job, depends on prep work and what you want as an end result. Similar with engine rebuild, is it a case of a quick overhaul of what was a running engine, or is it starting from scratch with new parts? Stock or modified? again could be £1k or many £k depending what you want. Wiring wise, do you have all the hardware? ie switches/lights/relays/fuse box etc so just putting in a new loom? Loom itself is a couple of hundred, if the place know what they are doing then maybe a days work to lay it in, maybe 2 tops (Did mine on the driveway in a weekend and it was the first one I had done), but it depends on what the hourly rate is at you resto peeps?

As for places taking too long, it is a common story, have you been to the place and discussed your expectations? if not it will always end up as a 'fill in job' and take ages. If you are paying anything up front, then you need to make sure both you and the workshop know what to expect and when, and get them to agree to that completion to release the next payment and so on in writing if possible. End of the day it always comes down to good communication, if you have doubts about your current workshop/garage then think about pulling it and moving it somewhere else, just because it is in a garage does not mean you have to stick it out to then end and be left feeling glum about the whole process.
'60 RHD Devon

DoubleD
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: T2 'novice' help.

Post by DoubleD » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:52 pm

Good response!, HKPhooey!