Wipers - grrrrrr

Topic Author
Doka Dave
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Wipers - grrrrrr

Post by Doka Dave » Mon May 25, 2015 10:42 am

It seems really difficult to get enough pressure on to the blades to clear the rain completely off - thank god for Rain-x really!

has anybody improved their wipers somehow or used different arms/blades etc to help?

Looking for inspiration here please!
Ta
DD
:)
--------------------------
Member since 1996.

Official SSVC Quizmaster 2014-2018 :) :) :) :)
-------------------------

e m p i

Re: Wipers - grrrrrr

Post by e m p i » Mon May 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Yes, I use Morris minor blades as they are segmented rather than just a flat blade. I have drilled a small hole in the end of the wiper arm and in the fixing on the blade and put a tiny screw in it to hold it in place. It's miles better but still not as good as a modern car. You need the late style ones for 63-72. It's a bit fiddly to do but well worth it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-11-IN ... 35ea951502

But rain-X is your friend :lol:

Cheers, Lee.
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

clymoj

Post by clymoj » Mon May 25, 2015 9:13 pm

We were discussing this the other day. I was told the later wiper disengages for safaris stand the arms off from the screens too far and that earlier spindle ones were better.

But I've also been told new springs may help too.

Either way my problem is primarily from lack of commitment from the arms rather than duff blades.

They also do a de-mist rain-x for the inside which is a godsend in my (damp) experience.

Topic Author
Doka Dave
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Doka Dave » Wed May 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Living in Scotland, I need these fellas to work!
I wonder if there is some way of putting a thread or similar onto the wiper spindle and then bolting on the arm with a nut (if there's room?)
I don't have safaris (read line 1 as to the reason why lol) so I don't need the wipers to pull off the screen, I just want them to work!!!
What do you think??
DD
Member since 1996.

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm with Clymoj on this, it's the lack of strength in the spring holding the arm/blade o to the screen. Mine are marginally better than standard due to the more modern blade but they're still not all that.
It's a bit of a bodge but you can put a small cable tie around the bottom of the arm and across the bolt that holds the arm on and pull it FT and it will pull the arm onto the screen. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers, Lee.

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Wed May 27, 2015 9:06 pm

Well

This may be known to many BUT VW introduced a long body with a strong spring to try to cure the pressure onto the very end of the blade...

Like this one...

All the repro ones are short bodies and these were second hand with good springs....bead blasted and then painted.

NOS ones do come up but they are Rocking Horse POO..

I only want to use these to look stock...
G
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Wed May 27, 2015 9:13 pm

The best wipers I've ever seen, (purely on performance), have been on a pair of Indonisian imports, as they're not scared of the odd hack or too, so they graft in beetle wiper spindles and use late bug blades.

Work a treat, but look crap.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
Doka Dave
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Doka Dave » Fri May 29, 2015 10:01 pm

e m p i wrote:I'm with Clymoj on this, it's the lack of strength in the spring holding the arm/blade o to the screen. Mine are marginally better than standard due to the more modern blade but they're still not all that.
It's a bit of a bodge but you can put a small cable tie around the bottom of the arm and across the bolt that holds the arm on and pull it FT and it will pull the arm onto the screen. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers, Lee.
See, I was kinda thinking along the lines of this.
I was wondering whether it is possible to drill a horizontal hole through the base of the wiper unit then lock it into place with wire or a small cotter pin - thus keeping a lot more tension on the blade.

I want to keep the OG look but if it weren't Rain-x, I'd be knackered really at the moment.

Time to get experimenting with options methinks...........
DD
Member since 1996.

malum
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by malum » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:35 pm

I also have the morris minor type ones mentioned above. I just have them pushed on with no screw. They hold in place fine.
However they don't both fit in the 'duck' so now I run with the original type wipers (which look nicer) and keep one of the Morris ones in the bus which I put on if it rains hard enough

I also have NOS arms on it

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:55 pm

You gotta love the ingenuity of us bus owners to make things work :lol:
Only thing if you still a hole in the base and lock it onto the screen is what do you do when you want to lift then off to clean the van or put a silver screen round etc. that's why I went with the small cable tie option as you can't really see it and if I want to lift the blades I just cut it off and fit another one.

Cheers, Lee.

MarkFer
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by MarkFer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:20 am

I use my bus daily so I wanted working wipers too. After swapping things around I've managed to end up with a driver's wiper that does actually do a clean sweep and a passenger wiper that sweeps but does not clear all the rain off, but I can live with that. I also tried the Minor-style blades but found they still needed a decent spring strength - the spring in the blade was stronger than the one in the repro base!

I went through a several pairs of the repro spring bases (I think I tried all the main suppliers) but each one only lasted a year or less before the monkey metal they use to hold the end of the spring fatigues and snaps. They were all rubbish quality.

Currently I have a pair of good 2nd hand og ones on and they have lasted 3 years/30000 miles or so. Coped happily with that torrential downpour we had last week.

Mark.

Topic Author
Doka Dave
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Doka Dave » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:20 am

I'm gonna give it a go at the weekend.
I don't need a wraparound screen so that isn't an issue for me, I just need to see where I'm going in the rain (which is quite a lot up here!)
DD
e m p i wrote:You gotta love the ingenuity of us bus owners to make things work :lol:
Only thing if you still a hole in the base and lock it onto the screen is what do you do when you want to lift then off to clean the van or put a silver screen round etc. that's why I went with the small cable tie option as you can't really see it and if I want to lift the blades I just cut it off and fit another one.

Cheers, Lee.
Member since 1996.

MarkFer
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by MarkFer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:40 am

The other idea I had but never tried was to use a knurled adaptor on the wiper shaft. Then you could choose from a wider range of wiper blades which may have better/stronger springing.

Something like: http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercu ... ury-1.html

passion4
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Location: Hastings, East Sussex... yep, that's 5 mins walk to the sea! :-)

Post by passion4 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:15 pm

back from the dead ;) just wondering are the 10" or 11" (which is the correct length for a splitty?) sprung wiper blades much of an improvement over the standard stock blade?
‘impossible just shows a lack of imagination’

vdubxs
Aircooled Adventures

exclusive VW Split Screen T-Shirts and bumper stickers for sale… (and Schwimmwagen ones too!)

OP
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by OP » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:44 am

Wouldn't sprung wiper blades require the springs in the arms to be quite good?

I run original VW bases and aftermarket safari spindles and they seem to work fine. I do use RainX but you need to be moving at speed for it to work.
www.dubberware.com "Personalise Your Ride"
Official SSVC forum Username stickers. Decals, Bespoke Decals & Clothing.

'Ron' the 55 Portuguese bus ST-14-96