How easy to fit sleeves to trailing arms (CE beam)

Topic Author
Karmann
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

How easy to fit sleeves to trailing arms (CE beam)

Post by Karmann » Tue May 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi
As above, looking at buying a Creative Engineering narrowed beam but just wanted to know whether I will need to get the new sleeves for the trailing arms pressed on with a hydraulic press or whether they can be fitted at home. Trying to get everything prepared/organised before I order! I have sent a message to Creative asking the same but not had a reply as yet so though someone on here may be able to advise.
Many thanks

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: How easy to fit sleeves to trailing arms (CE beam)

Post by maddison » Wed May 20, 2015 7:34 am

Karmann wrote:Hi
As above, looking at buying a Creative Engineering narrowed beam but just wanted to know whether I will need to get the new sleeves for the trailing arms pressed on with a hydraulic press or whether they can be fitted at home. Trying to get everything prepared/organised before I order! I have sent a message to Creative asking the same but not had a reply as yet so though someone on here may be able to advise.
Many thanks
i seem to recall they just slid on, no need for a press…but my memory isn't the best

MarkFer
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by MarkFer » Wed May 20, 2015 8:15 am

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Wed May 20, 2015 11:51 am

What year trailing arms are you using?

Just wondering, as I've some arms that have wear on the bearing surface. If yours are good, would you be interested in a swap, as the new collars will replace the worn area on mine.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
Karmann
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Karmann » Thu May 21, 2015 3:33 pm

Hmm, sound like it's going to be a pain to get done then!
Jim, mine is a 67 model. Won't know if they are good until I get them off but will let you know if they are.
Thanks

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Thu May 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Okay.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Tony Shep
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Tony Shep » Sat May 23, 2015 11:19 am

I did these recently, was lucky to have access to an Induction heater, think that's what it's called? Basically two towers with a bar between them, put the sleeve over the bar and it gets heated and they just slid on!
Best way to do it IMHO, try a small local engineering shop as they are fairly common!

Tony