electronic ignition.

Topic Author
suzanne63split

electronic ignition.

Post by suzanne63split » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:01 pm

im in the market for an electronic ignition set up for my 1641 tp engine. ive read a bit but still no idea which is best and value for money. has anyone used the acuspark system they seem to have a good right up and good value for money.

modifiedbrian
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: electronic ignition.

Post by modifiedbrian » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:28 pm

Got one on my spare engine.
Think its great for the money.
2276cc fuel injected turbo 1967 SO42
Best ET 14.66

YOUR ONLY SUPPOSE TO BLOW THE BLOODY DOORS OFF !!!!

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:34 pm

I use the powerspark one, from simonbbc (google it, or look on ebay), its been on my van for over a year, and its way, way cheaper than pertronix etc, think it was about £28 when I bought mine, its been faultless,and fitted in minutes.

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Set of points and a condenser on mine. Been on there in various guises since 1964 and never had any problems. Cost 7 quid per set and can be changed and adjusted at the side of the road with a screwdriver in a couple of minutes if they go wrong (which they never have).
Out of interest, why do you think you need electronic ignition on a 1641? It's just more electric stuff to go wrong and leave you stranded in my opinion.

Cheers, Lee.
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

Claushema
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Claushema » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:50 am

e m p i wrote:Set of points and a condenser on mine. Been on there in various guises since 1964 and never had any problems. Cost 7 quid per set and can be changed and adjusted at the side of the road with a screwdriver in a couple of minutes if they go wrong (which they never have).
Out of interest, why do you think you need electronic ignition on a 1641? It's just more electric stuff to go wrong and leave you stranded in my opinion.

Cheers, Lee.
I've got points on all 3 of mine and never once had a problem. As far as I know neither did my mom back in 54' with her bug. Don't really see why I should change something that works fine.

ziggy
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ziggy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:54 am

I've gone through 2 pertronix, both failed for different reasons, I have also tried a powerspark unit but it was very lumpy at low rpm, having said that it was in one of my spare Chinese dizzy's. I'm afraid it points for me, easy to get hold of, cheap and can be replaced/adjusted on the roadside. However I'm a big believer of only using vw or bosh points and setting them up with a dwell meter, Experence has shown the cheap chinesse points don't give the correct dwell when set using feeler guages, don't line up correctly, need constant adjusting and dont last 5 minutes. Personally I think it's these cheap parts which has given the impression point are crap and pushed people towards the dark side, don't get me wrong I'm sometimes tempted, just for the sake of it, but you have to resist the pull of the dark side. Oh I'm running a 1776 :wink:

OP
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by OP » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:54 pm

I ran an Accuspark cheapo dissy on my bus for a year then it started to over advance and was playing up big time. Luckly I noticed when I checked it all over before EBI last year or it would have cooked the engine!! The poor chinese casting should have stopped me using it really.

Back on an original Bosch dissy with points and condensor on a twin Weber'd 1641 and nooooooo problems again.
www.dubberware.com "Personalise Your Ride"
Official SSVC forum Username stickers. Decals, Bespoke Decals & Clothing.

'Ron' the 55 Portuguese bus ST-14-96

henk

Post by henk » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:46 pm

I always wanted a electronic ignition on my beetle as well.
I bought a complete MSD systeme,worked great when new but a year later the problemes start.
Went back to a bosh 010 with points and now i get everywhere again.

Henk!!!

Kranjam

Post by Kranjam » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:01 pm

I am in the points camp too.
Had a starting problem and didn't want to believe the electronic ignition was the problem but it was.

Andy

Topic Author
suzanne63split

Post by suzanne63split » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:27 pm

thanks for all your replies. i think i will stick with the points then.