knocking noise from rear

Topic Author
jongolfvws

knocking noise from rear

Post by jongolfvws » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi i own a 67 camper with 944 discs all round, since putting the parts on i have a knocking noise from offside rear.
I have removed the handbrake shoes, no joy still knocks at low speed, i have removed the caliper no joy, hub nut is tight with the spacer ring on. Any ideas????? oh its straight axle and only knocks on one side.

richandsue
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: knocking noise from rear

Post by richandsue » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:01 pm

a chap at my local garage had a camper in with a knocking noise, spent hours and hours trying to find the cause, stripped virtually everything you could think off to find it, Turned out to be a tin of baked beans rolling in a cupboard. hope this helps, :lol:

JacksHere

Post by JacksHere » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:35 pm

:lol: I would feel shock if its not the beans :P

Doka Dave
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Doka Dave » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Here is a true story about "knocking noises from the rear". (I know 'cos it happened to me!!)

Many years ago, I sold my first ever splitty as we needed the money to go travelling and the couple who were buying it were flying in on a one-way ticket so everything had to be "ready to go".
I spent all evening polishing and cleaning everything to get things tidy but when it came to picking them up from the airport in the morning in the bus there was a knocking noise from the back that had never ever occurred before. I had to go back to the house and get them in the car and explain that there was a possible problem with the van but that I would fix it.
I even dragged my mate out of his garage to have a look and between us we figured it must be the CV joints (bus was IRS'd) but why would they go simultaneously and knock even in a straight line?
So I gets down to the local parts man and buys two brand new CV joints and me and my mechanic mate worked like crazy to fit them ASAP as time was now dragging on and these lovely people had a long drive ahead.

After we did this we went for a test drive and the NOISE WAS STILL THERE!!

So we sat and pondered WTF was going on and my mate asked me "what have you changed since the last time you drove it when there was no knock?"
so I replied "the wheels"

(the new owners got a bit off the price because they didn't want the alloys I had so I just put the standard wheels back on)

We then looked very closely at what was going on and basically the problem was the old wheel bolts which I had used for the alloys were slightly longer than standard so were catching slightly on the brakes inside the drum!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

10 original wheel bolts later and the noise disappeared completely and the new owners drove all the way home with no problems away in a cracking van with brand new CV joints fitted at no extra cost and for no flipping' reason!

True story! Check your wheel bolt length!!!
--------------------------
Member since 1996.

Official SSVC Quizmaster 2014-2018 :) :) :) :)
-------------------------

russell13

Post by russell13 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:30 pm

Like the above story check your wheel bolts I had this noise like a clicking noise. Just undo them a little and spin the wheel to see if that's the noise.

Topic Author
jongolfvws

Post by jongolfvws » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:39 pm

found the problem to be a shim had moved where the shaft goes into the gearbox. It has caused some damage to the shims and shaft. How bad is this and why would this happen?. I took this tube out when i had some work done when fitting the porsche hubs