OK - If you've clicked this ad, you'll know that Splitscreen Buses didn't come with 1.9 Turbo Diesel engines, power steering and night heaters!
Only selling as i'm after a 356 Replica (Chesil, Spyder, Any complete Speedster) or something RHD as the wife doesnt like a LHD!! let me know if you want to P/X - Swap etc (the van - not the wife) Looking for £25k
I suggest you go make a brew, come back.... find a comfy seat and read through this ad in its entirety.
Originally from Pennsylvania in the U.S, this 1964 13 window deluxe microbus is complete with all deluxe trim parts still fitted (Inc clock) including Creative Engineering front safari windows. The van has also received a full underbody and engine bay restoration by the previous owner. Both have been 2k painted in original factory colour Turkis green (see the pics). I can fully assure you the are no scary repairs covered in bondo and shiny paint. All its imperfections (or perfections) are visible and in plain sight.
The logbook shows it’s a 1.9 Turbo Diesel, the van is tax and MOT exempt. The van has been restored previously underneath with new panels as required (see pics) and looked like new. Above ground sympathetic repairs have been done to keep it looking un-restored and a timewarp to its past. The upper body rust is surface only and has not deteriorated since I’ve owned it. All repairs have been done with the van rolled over on a car tilter and have been welded with a proper MIG (not a 100amp hobby welder) The chassis and all repairs have been coated in POR15, the floor panels and under arches have been gravitexed then the underside and engine bay has been repainted in the Turkis Green OG colour.
The camper is built from a 1964 Rare Turkis & White US Spec Deluxe Microbus the highest spec van at the time. A factory special order van with option code M130 to “delete sunroof and panoramic windows” the big tailgate split vans were only built 64-67 which makes the 13 window deluxe a rare old beast. The van has been featured in both the split screen van club magazine and camper and bus magazine (copy of the magazine will be provided too)
All locks are original and work from a single key which is very rare! there are 2x keys included with the van.
The camper has been professionally converted to run a VW 1.9 TDI engine which take the stress out of long motorway journeys, the engine has been mildly modified with a de-cat’d, EGR delete and a free flow filter and stainless steel silencer, The van is very nippy and pulls strong due to max torque being at only 1900rpm combine this with the up-rated and rebuilt freeway flyer 091 2litre bay gearbox it will easily keep up with modern traffic but is smoother to drive in traffic than a modified aircooled engine! The van cruises at 65-70mph without even trying and it returns 40mpg on a run probably double what a 100bhp aircooled van will do and if pushed will go back round to needle stop on speedo if your really in a rush (on private roads obviously)
With all the extra power the brakes have been upgraded to 280mm drilled vented disks up front and 280mm drilled rears with a dual circuit master cylinder and a direct acting servo to make the brake pedal nice and light to push.
The suspension has been upgraded to a cb performance 2” narrowed beam up front with KYB gr2 gas shocks at the rear the reduction boxes have been junked in favour of a Volksheaven type2 IRS kit again complemented with KYB gr2 up-rated gas shocks and then the whole van has been lowered around 6”/150mm from standard
To help keep to van running true at the new higher speeds the steering has been upgraded to a power assisted direct acting rack and pinion steering setup this makes the van much more responsive to drive and takes out the usual steering box and centre pin free play, The steering Is now light enough to park with 1 hand just like a modern car even with the smaller 1960’s Nardi wooden steering wheel.
So here is a rundown on the main bits if your still reading:
Here is a comprehensive list of what repairs were done:
- Complete cab floor
- 2x outer sills
- 2x inner sills
- Opposite side to cargo door, floor to sill repair panel
- Top hat repairs
- x outriggers
- 4x jacking points
- 2x battery trays
- Inner lower front panel
- Outer lower front panel
- 75mm lower nose repair panel
- 2x lower a post repair sections
- n/s complete wheel arch/cabstep
- o/s complete wheel arch/cabstep
- Custom made spare wheel well made to fit full width Porsche spare wheel
- Narrowed t25 engine inspection hatch fitted to boot floor
- I’m not a VW mechanic, so a lot of this is from my mechanic and details from when I purchased the car.
- VW 1.9 TDI engine (1Z engine code)
- Mildy tuned with free flow air filter & exhaust fitted,
- Decatted and stainless backbox,
- Egr valve deleted
- Fully wired as per vw specs giving full obd2 diagnostics to work with diagnostic scanners/vagcom etc
- Custom road speed sensor added and ECU enabled to give full cruise control (previous owner didn’t show me how, but it shouldn’t be too hard to work out).
- The engine is mounted on VW hydro engine mounts with a custom cradle to give a smooth idle and reduce interior noise at higher engine speeds, the engines vitals are monitored by 3x VDO gauges (water temp/oil temp/oil pressure) mounted in the over head cab air ventilator along with a 5” monster tach rev counter and shift light, the engine is cooled by 2x alloy cored VW radiators in a belly pan scoop ensuring the engine runs nice and cool often a problem with poorly engineered conversions.
- The engine runs a stock 228mm tdi solid flywheel and standard clutch meaning if needed it would be easy to find replacement parts anywhere in the world
- The gearbox is a late 2.0 bay (the one everyone wants with the 4.57 diff) 091 type (CP code) 6 rib freeway flyer gearbox which has been reconditioned around 5 years since with new bearings as required - full set of syncro’s new 3rd/4th gear hub, new shifter hockey stick and full seal set, plus new weedle 0.70:1 4th overdrive gear and HA projekt uprated tdi input shaft, the case is painted black with stainless fixings.
- Fitted with a empi quick shift kit to gear lever. The gearbox is mounted on void bushes to again reduce engine noise. A 1.7kw reduction gear starter motor has been fitted to easily start the engine
- Driveshafts are 100mm T2 CV joints both ends rebuilt with new GKN lobro cv boots
- Direct acting power assisted steering (does away with steering box and all linkages under van to completely eliminate free play) custom hydraulic hoses and PSA electro hydraulic pas pump (even with small 1960’s nardi wood rim steering you can still park with 1 hand) flipped bay ball joints in spindles to reduce bump steer
- CB Performance adjustable ride height narrowed front beam fitted with KYB gas shocks, late bay front hubs rebuilt with new bearings and seals and bay spindle lock nuts.
- Volksheaven IRS Rear suspension kit with genuine OG 68 spring plates, brand new genuine A-Arms, late bay rear hubs rebuilt with Timken/SKF brand european top quality bearings and seals, KYB gas shocks
- 280mm vented/drilled front disk conversion on late bay front hubs with 15mm hub centric studded Porsche wheel adaptors
- 280mm solid drilled rear disk conversion on late bay hubs with 35mm hub centric studded Porsche wheel adaptors
- Custom handbrake cables
- All flexi hoses and solid brake lines have been replaced
- 7j x 16 Porsche 928 teledials wheels with polished lips
- Falken 195/45/16 front and 205/50/16 rear tyres
- Porsche 928 space saver spare wheel with full size spare tyre fitted
- Porsche tombstone seats (need recovering) with swivel base fitted to passenger side
- 3 point inertia seat belt fitted to front seats (doesn’t have any seat belts factory fitted)
- ISOFIX child seat mounting on rear seat
- Full width rock and roll bed (6’3”long) with 5” thick foam
- JBL 10” powered door speaker setup with 3.5mm input for ipod, smart phone etc
- Lots of storage under rear seat
- Front coolant feed run heater box, blows air through screen vents/totum pole
- Eberspacher D1LCC diesel powered blown air night heater, runs independent of other heating systems
- 240v mains hook up with twin rcd’s for zig unit and sockets for mains power on caravan sites
- ZIG CF8B unit to charge leisure batteries when on mains hook up
- 2x 86AH leisure batterys with split charging from engine’s alternator and battery isolator keys,
- 50w large power inverter ideal for running Tv’s, laptops or charging mobile phones etc (even big enough to run power tools)
Bank Transfer for payment, all payments must be clear before vehicle is handed over.
Delivery available at extra cost, please contact me to discuss.