Original paint 1954 kombi rare so22 interior

If you've a bus for sale this is the place for it!
When something has sold please mark it AS *** SOLD ***

Topic Author
67ben
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Original paint 1954 kombi rare so22 interior

Post by 67ben » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:00 am

We have been thinking about this for a while, so have decided to put our 54 Kombi up for sale.

Manufactured August 1954 and delivered to Passau ,Germany.
I know the history back to 1993 when it was found being used as a wood store.
We have had it about 8 years now and wouldn’t hesitate to drive to Europe tomorrow in it.

It's a very solid and straight barndoor by today’s standards. The inside is pretty much all original paint and undrilled as it left the factory inside around the inner gutters is very clean and original.

It’s approximately 80% original dove blue paint the roof is 100 percent original paint just wearing through to the primer in places. I hand stripped the old paint back to where it is today about seven years ago and this was done to very high standard and took in excess of 250 hours.
The paint is strong but it has old marks where it was scuffed up to paint it on the lower long panel and a few on the front.
The logos on the doors are where I believe it was first put to work but I have never been able verify this with the company.

It has all the correct barndoor parts it should have handles and glass etc only the rear glass isn't original it's a later one with the correct logo added, which have been collected over the years where needed.
Metal wise it is rust free, it has its original front panel, chassis rails and I beams etc., which is rare these days 0n a barndoor and they are excellent.

Body work wise it had inner and outer sills, out riggers and a rear floor, doglegs, lower bulkhead and lower valence and front floor edges In the early ninety’s panels were available. The doglegs appear to have been NOS 64-67 ones.
The rear corners had about the bottom 3 inches repaired but the reflector pressings are still there and the original steel.
These repairs are okay but by today's standards and panels could done again or tidied up it has had less welding than most later split buses out there .

It has a few dents on it from years of use but it's not that bad for a commercial vehicle I looks like it had a small tap on the passenger side front at some point in its life and the roof has some surface dents in it but it's pretty straight overall.
It has an original 54-55 Barndoor front seat with a cover made by Lenny Copp in the US to a very high standard and a repro front Matt from David.

It has been lowered using rebuilt beetle spindles which bolt straight on with no beam modifications so could be put back to stock with ease.
It has zero off set Porsche pattern CSPs about 5000 miles use and Creative Engineering adjustable spring plates which are about a year old and is running a good late beetle box with German Porsche pattern drums.
The engine is a VW Mexico 1600 with twin 35 Solex carbs and has done about 10,000 miles.
I would sell the van without the engine if desired aswell.
The interior is a 1962 SO22 which has been reupholstered and includes the rare door unit and table and original it's missing the wardrobe and has a repro sisal Matt.
(this isn't for sale separately so please don't ask) but I wouldn't mind keeping it so would sell the van without it.
It has currently fitted SSP Gasburners which have been stripped and flatted back to make them look more original and has good 185 70 15 rear tyres and 165 65 15 front tyres.
I have the original center gearbox but no rgbs and have 3 of the 8/54 original wheels and one earlier one (these are currently on a friends barndoor and if wanted the van could be £1000.00 less without them)

Any questions email us on benjoynes@aol.com
The roof rack isn't included in the sale

We can help with worldwide shipping, shipping to California would be around £1300.00-£1500.00 also I would px with a rusty barndoor project with Windows or a early westy

many thanks Ben

Serious enquires only please daytime only or before 6.30 pm (we have small children)

07747 864 894

£54,000 Ono

Here are a few options as I've had these questions asked I would sell it without the so22 interior preferably.
-£2000.00 less
And without the engine I would sell it for
-£2000.00 less but would install a running 1600 single port.

I can take any photos needed and help with overseas shipping

Many thanks ben
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (46.77 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (60.45 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (63.57 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by 67ben on Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
54 Kombi

kristovs

Re: Original paint 1954 kombi rare so22 interior

Post by kristovs » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:11 am

Very nice bus! But you forgot to mention the price?

kristovs

Post by kristovs » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:26 am

Ok thanks!

JD Westy
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JD Westy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:20 pm

A bus to die for I love it Ben hope it goes to a good home no putting back to stock !
Dec 54 RHD Type 22 D Image can you dig it?
A67 MAN wrote:That bus deserves more respect IMHO.....7 remaining UK BD's and it's the 1st to get fUKed treatment..

Sweet Rides

Post by Sweet Rides » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:40 pm

JD Westy wrote:A bus to die for I love it Ben hope it goes to a good home no putting back to stock !
Wouldn`t that be just awful! Please someone with a good home save her from such a terrible fate.

Topic Author
67ben
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 67ben » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:34 am

Now now calm down ;-)
It have driven it thousands of miles stock and as it is which is totally reversable to stock in a weekend as nothing is cut or modified.

Ben
54 Kombi

Topic Author
67ben
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 67ben » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:57 am

Will be at barndoor campout hopefully :-)
54 Kombi

Chris_87
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Chris_87 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:51 pm

Hard to believe this is still for sale mate. Such a good bus for the price.

Maybe just cut out the OG wheel tubs Ben. Put some big tubs in and drop it on the floor, I'm sure that's what it needs :wink:

Topic Author
67ben
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 67ben » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks Chris
Deposit taken
54 Kombi