1952 Barn door for Sale, matching numbers, concourse.

If you've a bus for sale this is the place for it!
When something has sold please mark it AS *** SOLD ***

Topic Author
Richlewis

1952 Barn door for Sale, matching numbers, concourse.

Post by Richlewis » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi there,

Selling my 1952 Barndoor. I expect a few of the regulars here will recognise it, it was restored by Status VW, in fact there is a blog showing the restoration here:

http://statusvw1952van.blogspot.co.uk/

As far as I'm aware, please don't shoot me down in flames though, its the 3rd oldest surviving original van left. It has all matching numbers, and all the parts used are genuine NOS. Body off chassis restoration, its as perfect as you'll find a 52 van. Runs and drives perfectly, MOT exempt, and comes with the private plate 52 BD. All the parts are correct as per manufacture in October 52, I have an enormous list of each individual difference. Im just finishing off recommissioning it, as its been stored in various places since restoration, and a few parts needed finishing off (see my other post in technical)

Its as good as you will find, and is as good underneath as on top.

I'm rather illiterate with computers, so I have also included a link to the ebay advert here, so you can see the pictures.

Ebay ad: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1481936688

My email address is

alfiebear1234@gmail.com

My phone number is 07879812835

Any questions I will answer quite happily. Van is located in the southwest of the UK.

Price is 70,000 Or VERY VERY near offer, with plate included. It will on go up, and is only 8000 more expensive than a 1986 S1 RS turbo that sold recently. If you are interested, the van is probably worth double that in the US, and will only continue to appreciate.

Thanks for looking.

Rich

masterjedi

Re: 1952 Barn door for Sale, matching numbers, concourse.

Post by masterjedi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:40 am

£70k and no pictures.

busben

Post by busben » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:02 am

Hi Rich,

Certainly not "shooting you down", but I was confused by your eBay add and wonder if maybe you've been misinformed when you bought the van? Maybe it's helpful to confirm a few things for you. If you'd rather I remove any comments then please let me know. Just trying to help.

The van certainly isn't the third oldest original van in existence, in fact there are 3 older and more original vans parked in my garage alone! There are over 40 1950 vans known in the world, and over 80 from 1951. Some of these are massively original, unrestored vehicles, and others restored with minimal welding or panels replaced.

The restoration, while apparently to a high standard, didn't use solely NOS parts, in fact many of the body panels were replaced using mainly reproduction KlassicFab panels. It s a nice looking bus but I think your ad is misleading. Perhaps it's worth amending the wording or having a chat with the guys who sold it to you?

I wish you all the best with the sale, and please feel free to contact me if you want any more information about the bus as I've known it for years and am very familiar with it.

RockStock

Post by RockStock » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:22 pm

so much baloney
StockRocks
SSSVC Membership applied for

Topic Author
Richlewis

Post by Richlewis » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:02 am

Hi, thanks for the replies. I take any criticism well don't worry! Right, Ive added the pictures now, sorry, I have only worded the advert as the owner asked me too. I don't own it, I suspect a few people on here might know who does, but They are now in the south of France and not coming back to the UK. So They are in a bit of strife, so I offered to sell it for them. Why they told me this I don't know, but if busben knows the van, could you elaborate any more on whats correct and what is not. Its not my field, and I admitted that, so as for telling me its "balloney" Great, thats really helpful. I based the pricing, based on what they told me and what others seem to have sold for in the past.

Any other interesting facts about the van let me know, or would someone be able to give me some sort of idea of a true value?

Thanks

Rich

NikC
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Location: Mayrhofen, Austria (but my for sale bits are in the UK)

Post by NikC » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:10 am

So when you say "Selling my 1952 Barndoor" do you actually mean "Selling someone elses 1952 Barndoor" ?
Cornwall to Austria in my 1961 15 Window Story
The Westy Resto
1970 Type 3 Notchback
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Topic Author
Richlewis

Post by Richlewis » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:17 am

Yes if you want to be pedantic yes. Here is the honest truth for everyone. I am selling someone elses van. I have all the documentation for the van. Its stored at my secure premises. I shall sell it for X, give them Y and keep the difference for selling it. I can't be any more honest than that.

busben

Post by busben » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:27 am

pM'd you Rich. You ought to be aware of what they've asked you to sell and how it differs from their wording. The buyers contract will be with you after all, together with all the legalities that go with this. Hope the information helps.

Dai
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Dai » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:20 am

For reference, here's the link to the old Ssvc build thread too:

http://ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=79241
In the pub after Hessisch.

dave_garnz

Post by dave_garnz » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 am

Quote from eBay ad:

The original van cost £8000 to buy, £5000 to ship and import, and £125000 to restore. It had a team of 3 people working 5 days a week for 2 1/2 years to complete.

That's a lot of man hours

harryvonstacks

Post by harryvonstacks » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:40 am

However the ad pans out it still is a stunning piece of kit and one I'd crawl 2 miles over broken glass to own!

Good luck with the sale. And if i can sell a kidney to fund it I'll be down bupa tomorrow!
PER MARE PER TERRAM. SINCE 1664

Topic Author
Richlewis

Post by Richlewis » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:56 pm

I've sent them the link to this thread and messaged them the details of various messages I have received regarding the van. They are happy (well not really) but based on facts presented they will accept 55000 ukp including the 52 bd plate. Whatever anyone says about the van it's as good as you'll ever buy. I can accept payment in euros too if that helps. Please email me pm or phone me if you want anymore details. At the end of the day it's a rare van in superb condition and from many other people's opinion who have messaged me this is a fair and reasonable price.

Cheers

Richard

lowdown dirty rat

Post by lowdown dirty rat » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:29 pm

The new price is much better. This bus is stunning. It was at volksworld a few years ago. But it did undergo a full on resto. While this is not a bad thing, it means it is very much not 100% original. And although very well restored there are one or two errors. The drainage dimples on the long side sill for example.
Worth the new price though for sure. good luck with the sale.
1951 Samba 20-017894
1952 Samba 20-028952

markmullins

Post by markmullins » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:09 am

hi rich
just for your info I am the nutcase that bought the RS turbo series 1 a very different car/van to a split I have a 21 samba and are chalk and cheese plus the RS is the lowest mileage and original RS in the world
I never thought this RS would create so much attention everyone I talk to knows about it and now to find it being mentioned on ssvc site its mad
mark

Topic Author
Richlewis

Post by Richlewis » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:06 am

Hi mark. Well fair play, you couldn't find another one like it, and that's why it commanded the price that you paid! I would love it, if I had the money to buy it in the first place.

Rich