1954 RHD Barndoor Doubledoor

If you've a bus for sale this is the place for it!
When something has sold please mark it AS *** SOLD ***

Byron Bamboo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: 1954 RHD Barndoor Doubledoor

Post by Byron Bamboo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:11 pm

I spent 5 years restoring this bus before being part of the deal with Dai and Iain.

It has some great history.

Good luck with the sale!
The Gaffa Tape Tour 2007

'58 RHD PGSG Microbus

Topic Author
49barndoor

Post by 49barndoor » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:37 am

lammyrider wrote::D i have a 59 thats being a little .... at the mo :evil:
Cool mine also has its moments :twisted:
Byron Bamboo wrote:I spent 5 years restoring this bus before being part of the deal with Dai and Iain.

It has some great history.

Good luck with the sale!
Cheers Deano In my opinion its one of the best panel vans in the world, certainly one of the rarest. If I still have it in the summer I will be using it again for sure, The problem is it really needs to pay for its keep by lugging about scooters and engines etc etc but on the other hand I am always paranoid about marking it. Still looks great after all these years its a credit to your passion and years of hard work.

Hope you and your family are still enjoying the pg/sg :wink:

nick
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by nick » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:44 pm

49barndoor wrote:It was restored to a high standard nearly 10 years ago and I have owned it for 3 years.
Not turned a wheel in the last 12 months.

Its the oldest bus to exist that was originally delivered to the UK.
There is only 6 known RHD Barndoor Doubledoors worldwide.

It was restored to stock spec with its original engine/gearbox and 16" wheels.
The first owner kept this van for nearly 40 years and its history is fully documented.
I have a disc with hundreds of pics that go back to the 70s and the resto was also documented with pics.
It was a Ultra VW mag feature in 2007.
Its due to be featured in a German book later in the year celebrating 65 years of the VW Bus.
Its a seriously rare old bus that should really be in a museum.
Most barndoor enthusiasts know this bus after all its been in the UK from new.

At one point I planned to get a little radical with this van but talked myself out of it as its really too nice to go down that route.
A tasteful mod I planned was to fit two pairs of cargo doors with windows but its not happened yet.
It has a genuine BeKoWa full length industrial style roof rack and genuine matching BeKoWa fold-up ladder.
A few other nice bits like a 1954 factory workshop manual (English language version) and crank start handle etc etc.
Its pretty close to mint condition but would take a weekends work to recommission.
Has old fuel in the tank and carb, Starter motor removed at present and brake fluid leaked from a rear brake cylinder.
Just trying to say as nice as it is you will still need a trailer it wont drive you home the way it stands.
The previous owner drove to Germany and back but its still probably not covered 1000 miles since the resto.
I would want £68k and would consider taking something interesting in part exchange.
Another bus? Split bug? Vincent motorcycle? 356 Porsche?
For the right deal I will do the recommission work.
Would knock off £2k if the rack/ladder/8 BeKoWa stamped clamps is not required.

A few pics from the early 80s when it moved from the original owner to its first barndoor enthusiast owner.

A few more recent shots.

Old unpretentious Lada workhorse actually takes centre stage in my shed at the mo :wink:

Happy to deal with oversees but it would be nice if it stayed in the UK.
whats that parked next to the scoot? With the blue seat.

Topic Author
49barndoor

Post by 49barndoor » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:16 pm

nick wrote: whats that parked next to the scoot? With the blue seat.
Well Nick its definitely not one for the Brit Bike purest :lol:

Its a 1955 Velocette MSS 500 chopper, Originally built in the early 70s

If your on the Britchopper forum there is a thread on the bike.
Pretty much all its history is known back to 1955 v v v v v

http://www.britchopper.co.uk/forum/view ... 21&t=43636

:wink:

Topic Author
49barndoor

Post by 49barndoor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:42 pm

Back up and running :wink:

Sorry the pics are not great I just did them on my phone v v v

bigben1977

Post by bigben1977 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:17 pm

Awesome mate.. :)
1965 Panel 2165cc Weapon.!!

Topic Author
49barndoor

Post by 49barndoor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:01 pm

bigben1977 wrote:Awesome mate.. :)
Cheers fella, I figured I should get some use out of it this summer if no one is going to step up to the plate.
Never found time last year what with one thing and another.

Only just noticed your in Doncaster, I spent a lot of time there as a kid, My grand parents lived there back in the day.
I was brought up in Barnsley :wink:

bigben1977

Post by bigben1977 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:14 pm

Hahaa.. Nice one.
I'm from Sheffield originally, then moved to Doncaster to be with the Mrs.. ;)

I've been using mine everyday.. Can't get enough of it.. Ha
Due to have my first baby girl next Tuesday, which was one of the reasons I considered selling my bus, if I'm honest I'm half tempted to keep it, she thinks I should... Just trying to shift some funds about at the moment, if I get it sorted I'm keeping it.. ;)

Hopefully going to Bug Jam in it.. I'm missing Big Bang as that's too close to my baby coming. Ha I would never live it down.. I have the urge to send it down the 1/4..

Had some good nites out in Barnsley..

GLWS pal..

Regards
Ben

Topic Author
49barndoor

Post by 49barndoor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:26 pm

bigben1977 wrote:Hahaa.. Nice one.
I'm from Sheffield originally, then moved to Doncaster to be with the Mrs.. ;)

I've been using mine everyday.. Can't get enough of it.. Ha
Due to have my first baby girl next Tuesday, which was one of the reasons I considered selling my bus, if I'm honest I'm half tempted to keep it, she thinks I should... Just trying to shift some funds about at the moment, if I get it sorted I'm keeping it.. ;)

Hopefully going to Bug Jam in it.. I'm missing Big Bang as that's too close to my baby coming. Ha I would never live it down.. I have the urge to send it down the 1/4..

Had some good nites out in Barnsley..

GLWS pal..

Regards
Ben
Congratulations mate your life will never be the same again lol
I have three wee ones, My girls are 6 and 4, My boy is 3.

I like the big bang and at one point was wanting to take a barndoor down the strip.
Now I plan on joining the Gasser Circus and buying/building a 50s Chevy Station Wagon Gasser, Like this v v v v :twisted:

Plenty of bang for your buck with an old yank and a streetable gasser wagon is ideal for 3 kids :lol:

I love my old van but its wasted on me, I need to drive it like I stole it, Life in the slow lane is cool for a while but its coming to an end for me. I nearly fitted a 2110 with a Dick Landy Supercharger but sold it after talking myself out of the idea.

If I had your bus I would defo give it a run down the strip mate :wink:

bigben1977

Post by bigben1977 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:54 pm

I know I can't wait.. My first.. Gulp..!! At 37... Ha

That will turn a few heads.. ;)

I was looking at the F100's before I bought my bus.. But when I saw mine I thought it was right up my street.. It is a nice feeling when I put the foot down... Haha The old dial carraidgeway round about trick, having to go round the roundabouts slow.. The cars behind getting up your ass then pulling out to over take when off the roundabout, then I put the hammer down and you can see em struggling... ;) quality

Try not to drive it too hard, but I do give it a kick.. It's definitly been built with speed in mind. It does drink the V-Power but it's worth it...

I'm considering having it re sprayed all black? Inside and out? Am I mad?? And changing the rims and lowering it further.. Obviously if I commit to keeping it..

What do you think?

bigben1977

Post by bigben1977 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:57 pm

Want it to look meaner??

Topic Author
49barndoor

Post by 49barndoor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:51 pm

bigben1977 wrote:I know I can't wait.. My first.. Gulp..!! At 37... Ha

That will turn a few heads.. ;)

I was looking at the F100's before I bought my bus.. But when I saw mine I thought it was right up my street.. It is a nice feeling when I put the foot down... Haha The old dial carraidgeway round about trick, having to go round the roundabouts slow.. The cars behind getting up your ass then pulling out to over take when off the roundabout, then I put the hammer down and you can see em struggling... ;) quality

Try not to drive it too hard, but I do give it a kick.. It's definitly been built with speed in mind. It does drink the V-Power but it's worth it...

I'm considering having it re sprayed all black? Inside and out? Am I mad?? And changing the rims and lowering it further.. Obviously if I commit to keeping it..

What do you think?
Personally iv never really liked spit busses in black but I know what you mean about giving it a tougher look, I think taking the shine off makes all the difference by painting it in matt or a satin finish. I like the colour of your bus but it would look tough in a satin finish and the rims done in gloss black 8)

Your not too old mate at 37, I was 38 when I had my first :wink:

bigben1977

Post by bigben1977 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:45 am

I totally agree... I've never seen a good looking Gloss black one, and you don't see many in black at all.. Not know if it's a bit left field... That's what's holding me back really... But I also hate being normal and conforming to everyone else.. Hence buying the split panel in the first place..
really appreciate you input..

Your bus is insane, straight clean and original.. I always say there's a customer for every car (bus included) use it and enjoy it until they appear..
GLWS .. Keep in touch
Regards
Ben

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:15 am

Hi Ben, excuse me for jumping in, I have a 67 RHD panel in L345, is your bus L345?
I do rate panels and a lot less to see than other campers etc, the Barndoor is a real beauty, I'd be proud to own it, I may be responsible for building the wiring loom for this back on the day, I did one for Nick when he had this.
I debating to sell my panel but stuck as to know what it's worth, it's been a nut and bolt job but panels don't seem to have to much of a following, for what your van has fitted to it I'd guess it's a good price.
Like someone said, there's a bus for everyone, you just have to find them, good luck with the birth and hope all goes well, I'm 64 and have never been the same since our granddauter came on the scene, just love it..

Rocket Ron
Sometimes when you have set the benchmark, the only one you have to beat is yourself !

Byron Bamboo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Byron Bamboo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:22 am

Ron,

You did build the loom for this. :flower:

Cheers

Deano
The Gaffa Tape Tour 2007

'58 RHD PGSG Microbus