Formica - possible for a DIYer?

For all those other conversions, including homemades and one-offs.

Topic Author
CPL

Formica - possible for a DIYer?

Post by CPL » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:04 am

As title really. Been looking at ideas for my interior as now at that stage. :-)

Is it possible for a DIYer to use Formica and do a good job of it? If so is there anything particular I would need.

I was thinking of using it for the odd drawer/cupboard front, table or possibly the interior panels.

Thoughts please!

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Formica - possible for a DIYer?

Post by maddison » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:48 pm

wood glue and some clamps...works a treat...just like in the olden days

John TC
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by John TC » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:42 am

Yes it is possible for a DIYer
check out YouTube for some vids on the subject

Formica is not the nicest of materials, if not handled carefully it can chip, split and is difficult
to cut if you don't have the right tools. A laminate cutter is just a hardened steel point with which you score
several times along a straight edge before bending the sheet which will break along the mark.
Laminate is normally glued using a contact adhesive. This is spread on both surfaces to be joined
and allowed to become touch dry before assembly, this type of glue creates an instant bond so
make sure you get the position spot on first time.
Most people that use Formica will cut a piece slightly larger than the wooden area to be covered, and
once stuck down they use a small router with a laminate trimming tool fitted to cut it perfectly to the size
of the wood
once done it gives a very hard wearing decorative surface

------------------------------1956 RHD Kombi.------------------------------
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82512
---------------------------------Aka Bucket-----------------------------------

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:58 am

John TC wrote:Yes it is possible for a DIYer
check out YouTube for some vids on the subject

Formica is not the nicest of materials, if not handled carefully it can chip, split and is difficult
to cut if you don't have the right tools. A laminate cutter is just a hardened steel point with which you score
several times along a straight edge before bending the sheet which will break along the mark.
Laminate is normally glued using a contact adhesive. This is spread on both surfaces to be joined
and allowed to become touch dry before assembly, this type of glue creates an instant bond so
make sure you get the position spot on first time.
Most people that use Formica will cut a piece slightly larger than the wooden area to be covered, and
once stuck down they use a small router with a laminate trimming tool fitted to cut it perfectly to the size
of the wood
once done it gives a very hard wearing decorative surface
Ha, you make it sound so easy John :lol: You forgot to add that you're a master at these things unlike us mere mortals that chip and crack everything we touch!!

Shalom, Lee.
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

matt d

Post by matt d » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:00 pm

John is right. :wink:

Get a small router or laminate trimmer and some careful filing of the edges and you can have a very professional looking interior.

Veneering is very similar. I've done both on my bus and found it both very enjoyable and satisfying.