Foam cushions

If you're a fan or owner of this lesser known, but excellent conversion then welcome to your very own Forum

Topic Author
julian58

Foam cushions

Post by julian58 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Original Canterbury Pitt cushions were all 18" x 24" I think. Does anyone know how thick the original foam cushions were?
Thanks

Daz

Re: Foam cushions

Post by Daz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi Fella
They are 4 inches high
But Mine are 19" x 24.5" and the two that fit on top of the sink are 19" x 12.5"
regards
Daz
52 RHD Panel
63 23 winda
66 Canterbury Pit
http://www.midlandsplitbusmeet.co.uk

Topic Author
julian58

Post by julian58 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:10 pm

Thank you. No engine yet but I'm ready for cushions now

Post by 303 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Daz wrote:Hi Fella
They are 4 inches high
But Mine are 19" x 24.5" and the two that fit on top of the sink are 19" x 12.5"
regards
Daz
is that with covers on i take it , as gonna get mine as 4 cushions plus 2 for the sink in stead of the original ten

Daz

Post by Daz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:25 pm

303 wrote:
Daz wrote:Hi Fella
They are 4 inches high
regards
Daz
is that with covers on i take it , as gonna get mine as 4 cushions plus 2 for the sink in stead of the original ten
Yes it is
52 RHD Panel
63 23 winda
66 Canterbury Pit
http://www.midlandsplitbusmeet.co.uk

ShrediKnight
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ShrediKnight » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:02 am

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but it had the info I needed on the cushion sizes I'm going to need.

Which leads me to the question of where is the best place to buy cut foam? Also what sort of foam should I go for?

Any recommendations gratefully received. Want to get these as soon as I can so I can get them covered.

Thanks,

Mark

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:52 am

Aloha dude!
depending on where you are probably dictates where is best. I got mine from a foam shop in Pentonville Road and he did enough to do all the cushions for £100 and then £10 for the stockinette to put under the cushion fabric. If you dont use stockinette the material tends to catch on the foam and twist it all around and eventuially it takes chunks out of the foam. They also cut it to size for me as well. Dont be fooled into thinking you can cut in yourself as you'll end up with it looking like Freddie Kruger did it when he was drunk :lol: . I just told the bloke what it was for and he said what was best. When sitting on it its quite soft but as he rightly ppointed out, if you go any harder it will be like lying on a solid block when used as a bed as you're putting less pressure on it due to the spreading of the (love) load. Generally people use medium density, this from the direct foam.com website "Medium – this is the recommended density for seating cushions that are 4” in depth or more, it provides comfort and offers good support" and from memory i think thats what i got and its perfect.
I did mine as follows...
Rear facing bench seat - one piece for the seat base and one piece for the back rest
Forward facing bench seat - section covering the sink and the backrest section above the sink, rest of backrest one section, rest of seat base 2 sections.
I did it like this as it makes it easier to slot it all in and move it around when making up the bed etc but i can still get to the storage fairly easily which for me is mainly under the forward facing bench seat hence doing that bit in 2 sections. plus its also less sewing for Mrs. Empi :lol:

hope that helps,
cheers, Lee
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

ShrediKnight
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ShrediKnight » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Once again, nice one Lee! :cheers:

Hoping to get this lot ordered up tommorrow and then get on with getting the material. That end of August deadline looming.... :wink:

Thanks,

Mark