Canterbury Pitt table restoration

If you're a fan or owner of this lesser known, but excellent conversion then welcome to your very own Forum

Topic Author
PeterJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Canterbury Pitt table restoration

Post by PeterJ » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:56 am

I'm thinking of restoring my van's table...

Sometime in its previous life my Canterbury Pitt table was cut down in length losing its rear legs in the process. Fortunately, it retained its front leg complete with spring fixing and also has the twist catch that secures the table to the side of the van so it's still very useable. A couple of short planks complete the bed space when needed and act as an additional under the table shelf when not.

I've had a look at the Volkszone link from a previous thread – very useful thanks for that - so I know what the rear legs ought to look like though I did wonder what the width of each leg ought to be. The inside of the front leg's foot on my table has a metal bracket (shown) which I think a thin metal bolt ought to slide into. Something like this is shown in the link but I wondered if anyone might have a better, more close up photo / dimensions showing what the bolt looks like. Presumably this also stops the rear legs falling down when the table is set up for inside the van? It would also be good to know of a source for an as close as possible match to the original Formica top.

Thanks very much.
CP Table Foot Bracket.jpg

e m p i

Re: Canterbury Pitt table restoration

Post by e m p i » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:23 pm

I also have a table that's been cut down, although luckily I also have one that is the correct length.
The shorter one I got as part if a job lot but it was infested with woodworm :eek: however I managed to get it zapped by a well known pest control company ;) which killed everything off. The edges then fell to bits with dry rot but I managed to salvage the top and the leg. Being such an anorak I spent literally hours with a bit of broken hacksaw blade cutting slots into what was let's of the screws that held it all together so I could undo them and re-use them. Over the course of a month or so I managed to dis-assemble it and clean up all the original screws and brackets/hinges etc ready to put it back together again. I got hold of some hardwood in the right colour and carefully cut it to size for the new edging then built it call back up. I managed to use all the original screws except for two which I couldn't save.
I'll have to get done pics and post them up but like the nobber I am, I didn't take any before or during photos.

Cheers, Lee.
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

Topic Author
PeterJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by PeterJ » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi Lee,

Thanks very much for your reply. To see a few more photos would be great. I'm guessing that the width of the rear legs should be about 2¼ inches.

My plan would be to keep the table I've got now pretty much intact just in case I end up preferring the length it currently is which just about contains the front leg when folded up. I'd just transfer over the front leg and claw catch to a new full length table top. My table also shows two lots of four holes at the front leg end where presumably short legs were previously fitted so it might be fun to add those also but I was thinking that you'd likely bash your knees into them when sitting down. No luck yet with finding a close match to the original Formica (or whatever laminate it was) so I'd probably end up using a light granite effect top surface.

Thanks again.
Peter.

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi Peter,
I've found this
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/prod ... olt/683846
Which might be suitable for the catch you're missing. It's also missing on my table and has been replaced with a simple dead-bolt. It looks a bit sh!t but as it works I'm leaving it as if I remove it I'll be left with some holes....decisions decisions eh?
My short table isn't quite long enough to contain the front leg when folded so I don't know what whoever was thinking when they cut it down :( My longer table is shorter than others I've seen as well because my bug has a magazine rack that folds down as well to make up part of the bed if that makes sense? I'm with you on the short legs and bashing your knees.

Cheers, Lee.

Topic Author
PeterJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by PeterJ » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:45 am

Hi Lee,

That's a great suggestion for the missing catch. Thanks very much. I hadn't come across that design before. The ones I had been looking at in local shops were rather more chunky looking so I was thinking I'd have to modify one of those or make one myself. I used the 'cranked cabinet bolt' description from your link and found the same/similar design on ebay in both cranked and straight forms so I think one of them (original shape?) would definitely be to go for if I take the plunge and make a table – potential Formica samples now sent for. I've also double checked the length of my table top and like yours the front leg actually overlaps the end a bit but not by much.

Best wishes,
Peter

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi Peter,
Hmm, might have a look on eBay. Out of interest where are you getting the Formica from? I think the colour and pattern should be wood effect grey ash but can't find any decent suppliers that don't want a fortune per sheet.
I'll measure the thickness of the legs for you tomorrow if I get a chance.
Cheers, Lee

Benjamin.Breeg
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Benjamin.Breeg » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:21 pm

Had a look online and idsurfaces.co.uk has a large choice of Formica.

Must be something there that's a close match to original.

Unsure of price though.

Les

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Good call Les. What do you think of the colour and pattern of F1079 natural oak? I think that looks about the closest. I did see another one that was an ash colour and grain which was quite near but can't remember where I saw it.
Might give I D surfaces a call to price it up. I think I might have looked at them before when I was looking at getting some tables made.

Cheers, Lee.

Benjamin.Breeg
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Benjamin.Breeg » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:11 pm

Lee, looks like a decent choice to me, and that'll go well with the wooden interior too.

Les

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:37 pm

Hi Peter,
This is the bolt I'm thinking might do the trick. I'm going to measure the bolts/catches on the rest of my larger table to see how it compares, although for what it costs I'll probably just buy it and try it anyway
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RETRO ... bxeUO_28tw
Well I've just bought one so I will let you know how it goes :cheers:

Cheers Les,
I might see if I can get them to send me a sample and see how good the match is.

Here's some pics of the cut down (by some moron, not me) table that I restored

Here's the only two new screws as I couldn't save the original ones

I spent a ridiculous amount of time with fine emery cloth getting the bracket and hinges to this standard. They were completely covered in rust when I got the table

The remains of the woodworm scars :lol: I could have filled these but thought I leave them as it shows the journey that the table has been on and come through to where it is now, wood worm and dry-rot free :cheers:

Everyone who saw it laughed at me when I said I was going to save it but I just took my time and went careful so I didn't damage it any more than I had to.

Cheers, Lee.

Topic Author
PeterJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by PeterJ » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Many thanks for the table photos Lee – mine looks pretty similar though with a different top design – not a wood grain but a white background with grey squiggles. I couldn't find a match to the original top surface but as my seat covers aren't original either I've now been looking at various different options from an ebay shop that does 4'x2' sheets. I wasn't sure from the photos how light your table top is but just in case, they offer a white pine effect, item number 252268521733 but without seeing a sample it's hard to see how close the match might be to yours. Re the table leg sliding catch that's the ad I saw too so following your lead I've just put in an order!

Kind regards,
Peter
Attachments
CP Table Top.jpg

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi Peter,
Let's hope we've got it right with that catch or that'll be another bit sat in the drawer :lol:
Cheers for the eBay link but I'm not sure 600mm wide will be wide enough, I will have a measure when I get a chance. As for colour/pattern on mine, both tables are the same but neither are original to the van. I will have a look at my sink drainer which is original to the van so that should be what the colour/pattern of the table on mine should be. I'm now just hoping that they're the same :lol:
I'll take some close up pics so you can see. I know I've definitely seen one with the virr-varr or (whatever it's called) pattern on it.

Cheers, Lee.

Topic Author
PeterJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by PeterJ » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi Lee,
I like the catch design so if I had to modify one to fit a bit better, then assuming it's strong enough I'm happy to start with that one. Thanks for the info re the table and drainer matching – very timely. I don't think my table top is original to the van either. It certainly doesn't match the drainer. Anyway, I've now taken the plunge, ordered some Formica and bought some ply.

Kind regards,
Peter

ShrediKnight
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ShrediKnight » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:36 pm

Nice work on the table there Lee!

My table was in a right old state when I got it but it is possible to get them looking nice. My friend replaced all the wooden banding on the table edge which helped a lot.

Took a look at the link, reckon I'll be getting one of those.

Also did search on the ironmogery site, how does this measure up the table leg stay?:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/prod ... ted/439939

Cheers,

Mark

Topic Author
PeterJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by PeterJ » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:59 pm

Mark,

They look just the job - thanks very much for the link. I've just checked the length of the stay on my table's front leg and it's about 250mm so a bit longer than on the ironmongery site. Like with the catch, I put in the 'Table Flap Stay' description from your link onto ebay and came up with item number 171850313827 which is a 250mm version. Are front and rear stays on these tables the same length? I'm guessing they are but whatever the length, one more item soon to be ticked off the list. Great stuff! Thank you.

Kind regards,
Peter