SO42 Interior materials

If you're the sort of perso who thinks that Westfalias are nice, you might want to pop inside.

Topic Author
scholsie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

SO42 Interior materials

Post by scholsie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of restoring/preserving an SO42, I'm after some information regarding the specification of the interior materials.

The cargo door cards are shot, (i've managed to save even the worst de-laminated bits but these are rotten) so I need some new material for those, is a modern equivalent just 6mm birch ply?

The veneer on the underside of the small and large tables is also delimitated and rotten around the edges. What is the modern equivalent to these strips? I've seen it referred to as arctic birch, white birch and imported birch, so if somebody have sourced some in the UK and could pass on the details that would be great.

The front door cards and kick panels had been long removed before my ownership, when searching I have come across people saying that they had the standard grey vinyl covered items and others have said that they have birch items. So which of the two should it be? If it is birch, again would it just be normal birch ply or would it be a ply with the birch veneer strips applied?

And finally, just out of interest, what is the veneer used on the rear side panels, it's strips rather than a birch ply in my van but the grain looks to be a different cut almost like a 1/4 sawn veneer?

Cheers in advance, I'll post some pictures of the bus up when I get around to sorting some out.

easy e

Re: SO42 Interior materials

Post by easy e » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:50 am

I need some new material for those, is a modern equivalent just 6mm birch ply?
6mm is way to thick, ceiling / wall panels are ~3/32"... door/cab ceiling cards = 3.5mm
The veneer on the underside of the tables is also delaminated. What is the modern equivalent to these strips?
Not sure what exactly you mean by "strips"....veneer?
I've seen it referred to as arctic birch, white birch and imported birch
Baltic birch
The front door cards and kick panels had been long removed before my ownership, when searching I have come across people saying that they had the standard grey vinyl covered items and others have said that they have birch items. So which of the two should it be? If it is birch, again would it just be normal birch ply or would it be a ply with the birch veneer strips applied?
Baltic birch ply is some hardwood plywood with a birch veneer. There's isn't pure Baltic birch plywood. Cab area was painted grey. You'd be doing good to search out pics of original or correctly restored SO-42s.... study.
And finally, just out of interest, what is the veneer used on the rear side panels, it's strips rather than a birch ply in my van but the grain looks to be a different cut almost like a 1/4 sawn veneer?
Some stuff was laminate over plywood (seat/closet/jump seat/ice box) & some stuff was veneer (walls/ceiling).

Topic Author
scholsie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by scholsie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:12 pm

easy e wrote:
I need some new material for those, is a modern equivalent just 6mm birch ply?
6mm is way to thick, ceiling / wall panels are ~3/32"... door/cab ceiling cards = 3.5mm
The veneer on the underside of the tables is also delaminated. What is the modern equivalent to these strips?
Not sure what exactly you mean by "strips"....veneer?
I've seen it referred to as arctic birch, white birch and imported birch
Baltic birch
Baltic birch ply is some hardwood plywood with a birch veneer. There's isn't pure Baltic birch plywood. Cab area was painted grey. You'd be doing good to search out pics of original or correctly restored SO-42s.... study.
Some stuff was laminate over plywood (seat/closet/jump seat/ice box) & some stuff was veneer (walls/ceiling).

That's great, 4mm seems readily available.

Yeah I mean the strips of veneer, struggling to find a supplier for baltic birch veneer in the UK.

I'll have another look around for a good original one for reference.

Throughout the interior the width of the veneer strips vary, off the top of my head the veneer on the underside of the tables is about 80mm wide, the veneer on the inside of the wardrobe is around 250mm, I was wondering why this was? Also the grain pattern changes, hence the question about if some (like the rear side panels) are 1/4 sawn/cut veneer. All of which is irrelevant if I can't even find baltic birch veneer!

Cheers.

easy e

Post by easy e » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:16 pm

Maybe don't look for veneer... look for baltic birch plywood and ask manufacturer's representative questions.
Maybe give Booker a call... http://www.bookertimber.co.uk/Plywood_C ... ywood.html
Back-up sources...
http://www.dhhtimber.co.uk/birch_plywoods.htm
http://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/products/panels/plywood

Repro Westy has the cabinet laminate... if you're looking.
http://www.reprowesty.com/index.php?id=webshop/cat/1/10

falstaff

Post by falstaff » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:50 am

What he said on veneer. If bending it, score the back lightly and steam to get the right curvature.

The repro pattern laminate is pretty good, I've used some in the past, but prefer to get original from donor so42 or so67/early bay units. Takes hours and hours to strip off (did I say days and days) but is the exact correct shade, slightly redder than the repro stuff on NLAVW and elsewhere, thoguh they may have fixed it by now. I'm guessing the original samples they used to base the repro on, were probably lightly faded/bleached (UV light over the years kills the reds first of all). Depends on the level of detail you want. Stripping/re-gluing laminate is a hell of a faff, done lots of it when restoring units, building so42 spice-racks etc

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:33 am

This company on eBay sells baltic ply panelling
Think they may do Split interior
Worth asking
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bay-Window-West ... nav=SEARCH
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop