LHD 64 Devon Interior

So you Devon perverts, it's finally here - the Devon specific forum - and it's in a whole new interiors section :-)

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: LHD 64 Devon Interior

Post by BJ1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:02 pm

maddison wrote:looks like a standard whale, like in the 65 onwards buses

I don't have one of those but I know a boatyard that has a stash taken out of 60s boats so I'll have a look there.

Some of you will know that I bought the walkthrough Spaceway interior that was on here a few weeks ago. It's an early one, possibly a 65. I know David's book says they started in 66 but I believe several were made earlier. They were slightly different to the 66/67 Spaceways. I'll take some pics and start a Spaceways reference thread.

Rippers - you can replace your pin in the hinge by using a stainless roll pin of the right size. Get them from eBay. You may have to shorten one but I found some the right size a couple of years ago. Used them all up I'm afraid.
1966 Westy in Velvet Green - being restored
1967 Devon from Devon still in Devon
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA
1971 patina Delux from Montana now living in Germany
1972 Devon now owned by No 1 son!

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:35 pm

Rippers wrote: My first question! :- is the forward facing part of the trim (i.e. the bit that rests behind the passenger in the cab) finished properly, should it have the alu trim all the way around the top of the unit as it looks a little unfinished to me?

I dont think 64`s should have it front facing, that wasnt included until 65, when it went all the way round (except for the little bit to clear the B post inner)

a little odd....? but thats the 64 for you

A67 MAN
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by A67 MAN » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:59 pm

maddison wrote:
Rippers wrote: My first question! :- is the forward facing part of the trim (i.e. the bit that rests behind the passenger in the cab) finished properly, should it have the alu trim all the way around the top of the unit as it looks a little unfinished to me?

I dont think 64`s should have it front facing, that wasnt included until 65, when it went all the way round (except for the little bit to clear the B post inner)

a little odd....? but thats the 64 for you
My main doubt for this not being OG was the lack of specked white paint inside this unit....when did they start doing that :wink:
Floyd wrote: Does anyone in this forum have Dormatic seats? If you do I would love to come and touch them.
Mike1973 wrote:Jayfors lovely hack job :blackeye: -
58 Devon
SH11TT #2 OFFSHORE CHAPTER
Image "

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:11 pm

when the top formica went black ;-) 65 onwards

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BJ1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Nope - paint splashes came in on May 14th 1961 - approx 10.15 am IIRC.
I'll get my anorak................................
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Didn't quite expect the interest the interior has had, thanks guys you have all been very helpful :)

I was going to ask about whether the cooker should have legs as I could see the mounts underneath. Does anyone have a measurement of the length and diameter so I can get some made.

So should the wardrobe have a trim on the front facing part or not I'm confused now :oops:

If anyone has a whale pump for sale or sees one for sale please get in touch!

Next question for you kind people.. cushions.. where to buy, how much and whats sizes. I know there are a few odd shaped ones and also a small square one for the passenger head rest that pops onto the wardrobe.

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:41 pm

One other thing I noticed about the rear table holder, it has no fade or wear marks from upper rear units as if it never had them in the first place.

Looking at the ones on ebay you can see marks clearly on the table holder from the cupboards

Could this interior been from a 13 window or samba?

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Oh and thanks BJ1 for the heads up in the roll pins I'll have a measure and order some :)

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BJ1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Rippers wrote:Didn't quite expect the interest the interior has had, thanks guys you have all been very helpful :)

I was going to ask about whether the cooker should have legs as I could see the mounts underneath. Does anyone have a measurement of the length and diameter so I can get some made.

So should the wardrobe have a trim on the front facing part or not I'm confused now :oops:

If anyone has a whale pump for sale or sees one for sale please get in touch!

Next question for you kind people.. cushions.. where to buy, how much and whats sizes. I know there are a few odd shaped ones and also a small square one for the passenger head rest that pops onto the wardrobe.

The cooker legs are very similar (same as?) to the legs supplied with 68/69 bay Caravette interiors so try a wanted post on Earlybay. I sold a complete 69 interior with legs last year. They are alloy (similar size to the arms on the old H shaped TV aerials) and have small rubber feet like walking stick feet. These are still available if you hunt around.

Buy cushions from eFoam. http://www.efoam.co.uk/indexm.html Best prices and quality.

Cloth from the good folks at Ross Fabrics who have several patterns of top quality fabric that is close to the OG Duracour http://www.rossfabrics.co.uk/index.php? ... &Itemid=30. They are mega helpful and will send you samples.
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Excuse me...
Thanks for posting a picture of my cooker! LOL

That was why I asked....!
Does it have Devon leg plates on the bottom like my other cooker...

or tubes with thumb screws to take the legs...like this one requiring restoration

Can see yours on here

So you need the long metal tubes...not Devon legs..

My late 1964 (September B) and early 1965 (January C) interiors are both 1965 model year and both have sprayed interior to cupboard and the panel attached by rivets to the bulkhead...

Last edited by type21f on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Well on the subject of the wardrobe I was looking through the pile of door cards that came with the interior and this was among them

I instantly knew where that would fit :lol:

Its not fitted properly and should sit higher but for the sake of a pic

w1ggo

Post by w1ggo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Cooker legs 30 1/8" long 3/4" diameter
Water tank brackets at the front

Rear of wardrobe with no alloy strip

Small cushion in position

Close up of whale water pump

And i store my table legs, cooker legs, Jack and wheel brace in the space by rear draws

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Graham yes you are right the dudley cooker does have the slots of legs and thumb screws to hold them

Thanks for the pics w1ggo that really helps, I'll get some legs made. Your Whale pump looks like it is all alloy is it missing the plastic cap or is that another variant? The wardrobe front facing part looks identical to mind and the pops are in the exact same place.

I emailed Formica tonight do see if any of the Blue Flax can be traced and if so I know a man who can make me a table :D
Last edited by Rippers on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:54 pm

So your interior looks like it did not have upper rear cupboards anyway and they did sell off eBay for a fair price..
Looks like the interior was even more complete than I realised! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Also noticed your bus does not have the curved finisher on top of the division...These can be found and fitted so cupboard fits to it..

I was looking through formica covered tables on eBay to see if there was any blue flax pattern like it LOL
Last edited by type21f on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:57 pm

type21f wrote:Also noticed your bus does not have the curved finisher on top of the division...
The cap on the bulk head? It does have one as I bought it and fitted it a couple of weeks ago :) its a little bit dented thou but the body shop will sort that :wink: