LHD 64 Devon Interior

So you Devon perverts, it's finally here - the Devon specific forum - and it's in a whole new interiors section :-)

w1ggo

Re: LHD 64 Devon Interior

Post by w1ggo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Looks very nice 8)
Hinge on top right looks very close to the broken one
http://www.caravan-supplies.co.uk/image ... ies_HG.jpg

Paul_Revere's Ghia

Post by Paul_Revere's Ghia » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Looks stunning!!!! You must have been like a kid at Christmas!!
You can now follow me on Facebook to keep up to date with my latest Artwork & Ceramics-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newport/S ... 700?ref=mf

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Oh I am so pleased to see the quality of this interior!
Many many people will be envious and copy this idea for their Devon clone!

Observations...again
When you do put a floor in make sure you get the correct thickness ply....so that the cooker unit sits at the correct position and the cut out for the division header mates with the header bar. If you fit thicker wood and insulation and tiles it throws everything out for your seat angles/ gap for the magazine rack and table to sit between for the bed.

There should be some pieces of wood to fill the ends of the rear facing seat where the drop down back sits..
These are often missed in restorations because the fitter did not have them or the the restorer did not know they were needed..

The seat bases do slope backwards and the cushions sit at this angle. When you make the bed up Devon advised to pack the cushion up at the rear to make the bed level..

The board to go round the water tank has holes for the pipes and holes for the fixings of the clamps and brackets which hold the tank in place,

I have the clamps and brackets on my 65 but they are missing on my sons's 64...

On 1962 Devonette there is a plain hardboard panel painted pale grey across the top of the engine panel.
On 1962 Caravette with drawers there are two shaped panels either side of the drawer unit and nothing underneath it..
On the 1965 model year Caravette there should be a hardboard piece covered in grey plastic or patterned material like on the top of your drawers. This has the cheeese headed slotted screws and aluminium cup washers along the front edge holding it down and the drawers are screwed in place through the front lower member with countersunk screws into the over engine panel.

I really like the full depth drawers which go right up to the rear seat back without any cross van leg cupboard.
This is just like the 1962 Caravette layout so yours may be OK with strips down the side...Small rear hatch but no rear leg cupboard.

This was also done on 1963 Devon Samba layout....I have no idea when the rear leg cupboard came in...off to look at the brochures! 1964?
Your legs will fit nicely down in the gap! Result...
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

mdsa65
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by mdsa65 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Still kicking myself for loosing out :banghead: in the last five minutes of bidding my folks arrived for Sunday dinner, hence lost all concentration of my first digit, didn't help when my better half screamed "HOW MUCH" in a high pitched voice, she really thought I had lost the plot! my son kind of gave the game away, kind of off putting to say the least. All said cracking buy, fantastic reference pictures, keep them coming will make my job and many others I imagine so much easier converting right to left.

notasprint
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by notasprint » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Great Interior.

Good pictures showing how it's all going in, learnt a few things about my interior!

Regarding the rear drawers not going all the way across, this is the same as on mine, they fit nice and snug on the left and have a four ish (from memory) gap on the right.
My simple thought is that it's devons way of not having to work around the petrol filler neck! We find it's great place to store bottles when travelling!
1965 Devon Caravette

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:29 pm

w1ggo wrote:Looks very nice 8)
Hinge on top right looks very close to the broken one
http://www.caravan-supplies.co.uk/image ... ies_HG.jpg
Thanks for the link it looks identical bar the counter sunk screw recess, if I can't find any I'll probably buy one

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:30 pm

mdsa65 wrote:Still kicking myself for loosing out :banghead: in the last five minutes of bidding my folks arrived for Sunday dinner, hence lost all concentration of my first digit, didn't help when my better half screamed "HOW MUCH" in a high pitched voice, she really thought I had lost the plot! my son kind of gave the game away, kind of off putting to say the least. All said cracking buy, fantastic reference pictures, keep them coming will make my job and many others I imagine so much easier converting right to left.

If it makes you feel any better I bidded quite a lot more then what I won it for :oops:

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:31 pm

notasprint wrote:Great Interior.

Good pictures showing how it's all going in, learnt a few things about my interior!

Regarding the rear drawers not going all the way across, this is the same as on mine, they fit nice and snug on the left and have a four ish (from memory) gap on the right.
My simple thought is that it's devons way of not having to work around the petrol filler neck! We find it's great place to store bottles when travelling!

Thanks for putting my mind at rest on the drawer gap :)

Mike1973
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Mike1973 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:30 pm

Rippers wrote: Image
Wow! Just found this thread, what a cracking interior 8) 8) 8) 8) Well done on winning it!

And I've never seen this pattern before? Absolutely love it :love5: so of the period. Hope you learn to live with it, maybe even love it?

Look forward to following this thread :wink:

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:48 pm

The Mrs has told me she wants the Blue Flax to stay so all is good, the only sad part is I doubt I'll ever have the matching middle table unless I can copy and print the design?

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:28 am

contact formica, you never know, they may still have it / do it ?? worth a shot

like you say, in these modern times, shouldnt be too hard to take a close up photo of your large table, and go to a printer and get it printed onto vinyl - sorted

rear leg drawer between the rear drawers and seat back came in end of 64 for the 65 model changes

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BJ1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:54 am

Just got back from Corfu to see this awesome interior in detail - well done for winning it :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Anyone have a pic of the tap that would have been fitted in the unit? I have couple of spare Whale taps that might just be suitable.

I really like the Blue Flax - never seen it before but it's so early 60s! Pleased to see that you are keeping it :D

This interior is clearly genuine Devon and was probably fitted to a lhd van brought to Sidmouth by a continental customer - exactly as the ex-employee described to me. Did the seller know anything about its history?
1966 Westy in Velvet Green - being restored
1967 Devon from Devon still in Devon
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA
1971 patina Delux from Montana now living in Germany
1972 Devon now owned by No 1 son!

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:14 am

looks like a standard whale, like in the 65 onwards buses

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:24 am

The table will be the small table with the three screw catches with a knob and latch..like i have posted in the past.
This one is on the bottom of A67MAN's ****EDIT 1963 table EDIT****..would be similar to mate with your long panel table mount with the brackets on..

These tables do come up in several guises with five plates underneath.
The later types with the male protruding peg are (I believe) the same size and the pegs are sought after by others...

Later 66/7 tables have the alloy strip down the edge to attach to the long side panel and again the same size.
Bay tables with the plastic strip are larger.
The tables do come up on fleabay and also the legs (25.5" = split) (Not the 57cm legs which are are bay legs)

So you'll want one long leg for use in the van or four long legs for the table (could be used on either) or eight if you want to use both tables outside. Your cooker lid does not appear to have leg plates...

Question for you...what is the bottom of your cooker like?
Does it have anywhere for legs and what type of legs?
Last edited by type21f on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:53 am

green shielded 64 only cooker should have the fitments for 4 angled legs (and yours does have the guides...just checked the pics, legs shouldnt be hard to replicate as they are the same diameter all the way, with what looks like rubber feet