LHD 64 Devon Interior

So you Devon perverts, it's finally here - the Devon specific forum - and it's in a whole new interiors section :-)

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

LHD 64 Devon Interior

Post by Rippers » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:16 pm

I needed an interior for my van and I had originally planned to fit a full width rock 'n roll bed and rear facing seat when the time came, but I was shown and demonstrated a 64 RHD devon interior and I was very impressed and wanted one ever since.

I had seen the replica sets you could buy and I intended to see if I could find an original first as my wife prefers the worn original look over the new ones. I saw a LHD interior on ebay and was interested straight away but I have to be completely honest I didn't know that the left hooker interiors where rare. Anyway I took inconsideration the price of a new interior and the running around, time and hassle that would have been involved in finding the parts separately and stuck my bid in with a few seconds to go (the ebay adrenaline was pumping lol) anyway I won the auction and picked up the LHD Devon interior. I just hope I made the right decision!

Now being a splitscreen newbie and a bigger Devon newbie I've got a ton of questions and I hope you guys can help me out.

I had been in touch with type21f and he gave me some brilliant pointers and has been a huge help so far :) I thought I post up the pics I have of the interior and a ton of questions for you guys to hopefully answer.

I've been having a play with the stuff and put together the large table which seems to be in really good condition, can anyone tell me if there is name for the pattern on the table

The slider unit, sadly one of the doors is missing so i need to hunt down, make my own or buy a replica if anyone can help me. T he black rubber in the alu trim seems to stop short is this shrinkage?

The wardrobe, very impressed with this and even hung a shirt in it to show the mrs how useful they where :lol:

My first question! :- is the forward facing part of the trim (i.e. the bit that rests behind the passenger in the cab) finished properly, should it have the alu trim all the way around the top of the unit as it looks a little unfinished to me?

Kitchen cabinet,

I take it the Gaydon plates would fit here? what size plates and how many would have been supplied?

Can anyone tell me what these clips are for?

Lastly is there a piece missing here as there are two nails sticking out each side as if there may have been, does anyone have a pic of what it should look like if not?

Bathroom cabinet:- looks to be all ok and in good condition

I noticed there is a little catch, I guessing to hold the mirror door open, what would the other side of this look like? I guessing it would have been mounted to the cargo door frame?

Cooker unit

The lid is missing the catch can anyone show me what the missing piece looks like or where I could get one?

I'm assuming this is where the Tap would have been?

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: LHD 64 Devon Interior

Post by type21f » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:58 am

LOL
http://www.devonmoonraker.pwp.blueyonde ... lebook.pdf
The formica pattern (or is it Swedish Perstorp pattern?) is called "Blue Flax"

The black infill strip does shrink...it was pulled in under tension and over the years relieves and shortens...you can get new from Cool Air if you want to replace.

The trim is correct it is cut away to snuggle up to the B post but should it have trim at the front? *****EDIT I now know on the 64 it did not have trim on the front! This gets better! EDIT*****
I posted a pic on here...now where is it...

Strange that it is missing/ cut off on the 64 model year!..profile obtainable from Cool Air or maybe there is a poster here with some left..

Dimensions for the slider door are on Bobley's drawings list...
here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38636&hilit=DevonCu ... esign2.jpg

The alloy round finger pull is well....very hard to find...no replacements AFAIK...but then what do I know...

The clips on the side of the crockery unit are to hold cups...originally in 1962 these held J & G Meakin Mugs..
It is difficult to say but this unit looks to be early 1963 if anything and suit the Meakin...I do not know when they changed over to Melaware ...
Anyone? Actually know?

The vehicle was supplied with four plates large size, four bowls and four mugs.

In the Meakin in Celeste (Blue), Rosa (Pink), Jade (Green) Sunflower (Yellow).

Melaware was introduced around this time and came in harlequin sets, Pale Green, Plae blue, pale Brown and Pale Pink..
Same colours were sometimes supplier as complete sets in one colour..They also had pale yellow and a Pale Turquoise...
You could order these from your local shop..
Will look at my collection of brochures and price lists to see when they are mentioned... and when they were mentioned as being available as an option

The little catch is to hold up the flap and i have a picture of what hold it up but do not know where...

Others have posted details but it would have looked like this in reverse..you can just see that there is a catch

sorry Doogle I'll remove if you wish

The two nails...mmm I'm not sure any more if this unit had a top bar or not, looking closer it does appear to missing? I have pictures somewhere but I initially thought it was like mine and they held on two rubber buffers for the top door to sit against...at least that is what i have there...like two mini door stops you have in the floor to stop the house door banging on the wall..BUT looking closer there is a buffer..
I will look out a VWjim picture of this..

The hole is where the tap would have been,,

I think the cooker catch is called an over centre catch and you may get on OG on here from A67MAN....? Ian?

there are repros about similar at Caravan Supplies etc..
for now...
Last edited by type21f on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

matt d

Post by matt d » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:21 am

Get the black trim from caravan-supplies.co.uk
It's a lot cheaper. Allow plenty of time if you get talking to Stan, He'd be giving you plenty of usefull advice about refurbing it all :wink:

jonnolly

Post by jonnolly » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 am

Lovely find fella. Side clips on cutlery unit are for the cups. Sorry if that's repeated
Image Image Image

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:17 pm

OK cool so the clips are for the cups. Need to hunt down some of the Gaydon plates, my mums recons she has two pale blues plates somewhere so thats a start!

Pretty sure the Wardrobe is missing the front facing trim, I had a closer look in the light and you could see the fade mark where the trim would have been) also two holes where in the front facing panel, I remember seeing a cushion that popped onto this part on another split, should there be one or two poppers? Does anyone have a pic of the this and cushion fitted.

So I need to hunt done the round alloy finger pull I guess a plain sliding door won't look to bad to start with

Big question for you Devon peeps.. would it be criminal to lose the 'Blue Flax' in favour of the plain black? as I'm not really a fan :oops:

A67 MAN
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by A67 MAN » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:36 pm

type21f wrote:LOL
I think the cooker catch is called an over centre catch and you may get on OG on here from A67MAN....? Ian?
I have one left :wink:
Rippers wrote: Pretty sure the Wardrobe is missing the front facing trim, I had a closer look in the light and you could see the fade mark where the trim would have been) also two holes where in the front facing panel, I remember seeing a cushion that popped onto this part on another split, should there be one or two poppers? Does anyone have a pic of the this and cushion fitted.
my headrest cushion interior was a 65...two poppers
Rippers wrote: Big question for you Devon peeps.. would it be criminal to lose the 'Blue Flax' in favour of the plain black? as I'm not really a fan :oops:
It's a bit marmite but I have never seen it in a Devon before although it is on there swatch :wink: IMHO I would keep it !!! the new black "repro" scratches to hell and at the end of the day it's a unique interior with a cool twist
If you really cannot live it get you local sign maker to laminate it in black Vinyl then over laminate with decent clear laminate....I could do this for you but you would have to take a boat trip :lol: easy removed and will preserve the OG formica :wink:
Rippers wrote: So I need to hunt done the round alloy finger pull I guess a plain sliding door won't look to bad to start with
I've just sold a whole unit so they do come up.....I have a piece of battered alley trim in work not sure of the lenght though
Floyd wrote: Does anyone in this forum have Dormatic seats? If you do I would love to come and touch them.
Mike1973 wrote:Jayfors lovely hack job :blackeye: -
58 Devon
SH11TT #2 OFFSHORE CHAPTER
Image "

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:58 pm

:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
maddy accused me of stalking him...LOL
Knew if anyone had a catch it would be you Ian!

My 1964 and 1965 have the small cushion...
The 1/3 2/3 seats were introduced in August 1963 for 1964 model year....with the Caravette seat layout for the bed there is a gap in the cushion layout so I have no reason to question when the small cushion was introduced onto the front of the tall cupboard...
I would guess when the bench seat was replaced?

I have NEVER seen that trim it is special so I agree....
You might find a black big table and cover over the front wardrobe BUT I'd keep Blue Flax with a LHD! for sure...
1965 Type21f

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Great Stuff guys, A67 MAN you have a pm coming :)

Thats a great idea about covering the Blue Flax with black vinyl so it is not lost! I have a good friend who is a vinyl sign maker. As I guess finding a matching table in blue flax is going to be nigh on impossible although the large table is big enough that maybe the design could be copied?. Although if I'm honest a black table again would suit my taste a lot better, something to think about.. along with the turquoise door cards. We where intending to paint the van Dove Blue so the Blue Flax might work.. I better consult the mrs :oops:

Something I've be trying to get my head around is the water tap and water tank. If the tap is in the cooker cupboard and the water tank is behind the drivers seats how was this plumbed in? did the water pipe travel underneath the floor?

Got loads more pics coming!

mdsa65
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by mdsa65 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 pm

You definitely made the right decision ,I was one bid behind you and after viewing these pictures am kicking myself big time. Hey ho back to my rhd conversion :cry: rear seat and overhead locker wanted maddy!!

Paul_Revere's Ghia

Post by Paul_Revere's Ghia » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Congratulations on getting the interior- we were all watching with interest- I would be very interested in purchasing the door cards from you if they are not needed- they look way better than what I currently have! :D
You can now follow me on Facebook to keep up to date with my latest Artwork & Ceramics-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newport/S ... 700?ref=mf

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:51 pm

the ebay pics didnt do that justice

TOTALLY AWSOME interior.....amazing !!!!!

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:02 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Like I said I do like a Happy ending!

The male and female poppers for the small cushion can be bought from...Woolies Automotive...(Trim + other bits...)
Joanne and J&S can make the interior and supply these..

Clips are for mugs (but these are hard to find...) so can find cups and saucers...
1965 Type21f

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Took some pics of the Dudley stove

Is the frying pan original? it was hidden underneath at the back. I'll try and clean it up and sort the dents out.

Has the side mount

Fits very nicely

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Took some better pics of the Kitchen cabinet

I noticed these stamps on the back which look like G 4 7 the seven in upside down its then got a pencil 4 and LH (left hand i'd imagine as it written in quite a few places on the interior)

Closer picture of one of the nails in the tope, it does look like there might have been something there as there is a faint impression on the wood, does anyone have a picture of the top of there kitchen cabinet they would like to share?

Topic Author
Rippers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rippers » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Bathroom cabinet

What does the catch this goes into look like?