Cooker Lid locating peg - Thanks Type21f!

So you Devon perverts, it's finally here - the Devon specific forum - and it's in a whole new interiors section :-)

Topic Author
ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Cooker Lid locating peg - Thanks Type21f!

Post by ted698 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:39 pm

After a great chat about all things Devon with Graham (Type21f) at Avoncroft Meet I pointed out an annoyance with my cooker lid in my 67 Devon - it flops around and falls out of the rear aluminium trip designed to hold the lid in place - I said to him it needs a locating buffer or something, and pointed out what I thought was a broken off nylon buffer in the cooker cabinet.... :oops:

Thanks to the encyclopedic Devon knowledge of Graham - he pointed out that that the 'broken off nylon thingy' in the cabinet base was actually a locating peg and socket for the lid which I had thought was missing (and much needed!)

So this evening I've managed to lever out the nylon peg with two sharp screwdrivers, it was thoroughly stuck in its socket and return it to what appears to be a replacement Cooker Lid - I marked where it needed to be located by the age old trick of putting a blob of paint on the end of the peg, then settling the lid down on it gently to mark on the lid. :wink:
I needed to drill the lid to fit the peg tightly - the peg is stepped, (6mm dia end goes into the lid) - so a 5.5mm drill and a gentle tap! got it snugly home - It wont come out and get stuck again!

So big thanks to Graham - my loose cooker lid which has been a major irritation since I had my Devon and now its solid as a rock! :cheers:

My rear aluminium locating trim - apparently only very late Devons (66 & 67's) have this - all other models its piece of routed wood (another Type21f lesson!) - and yes I know it should'nt have modern pozidrive screws in it - hahahahaha

Solid as a rock now!

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Cooker Lid locating peg - Thanks Type21f!

Post by type21f » Sun May 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Here endeth the first lesson.....

Let there be many more..

I am seeing so many more details every time I take a very close look at another Original Devon.

It was a great pleasure to meet you and share a little of the Devon knowledge....
I always say I know a awful lot about very very little..
But as we discussed, looking at Mark Buckingham's lovely original 66 Devon Torvette Spaceway....on a Kombi.. It always amazes me what great variations you find in original Devons.. I am convinced tjat Devon used and fitted parts that were available on that very day..
If they ran short of an item...they fitted whst they could get...
From local suppliers.. Hardware shops Ironmongers Woolworths etc..

LOL

Oh and my lesson in life....
Every day is a school day.. You learn something new every day.

Even the day you die...
You learn you were mortal after all..lol

Every time I look at Mark's OD bus I see something new I had not noticed before, like the original washing up bowl and bucket.. I saw today (probably from Woolworths..)

Have you found the electronic parts catalogue on vintagebus.com. ? ?
My mirrors had been moved again..when I went to drive home..
LoL
Last edited by type21f on Sun May 14, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Mon May 15, 2017 6:32 am

I still have to Finally solve the cooker installation in Peebles my September 1964 1965MY Devon Caravette, to my satisfaction... The rear edge of the cooker cupboard where it meets the rear seat back "floats about". it is wearing the veneer..
I do not have the 65MY cooker which was fitted to my bus - it was missing.. I do have lots of the components but not the correct lifting base and shroud.
When we bought Peebles it already had a modern two burner cooker n grill...which works well when you do not run out of gas.. I suspect the metal interior was butchered though
So if anyone who has a period correct 65MY Dudley for sale?
I have an earlier 64 one being restored to use..

I hate to admit it but I am contemplating fitting a small L shaped bracket (but it will be a period correct Devon one - as used to hang the crockery cupboard - still made, found by the clever Rachel Jackson and given to me by Kevin Jackson of KevDev's Devon Interiors)
I believe the PO butchered my cooker cabinet internals and that there is a piece of steel lining missing on mine..
I have two screw holes but nothing fitted..

I am going to have to look very carefully at Catherine January 65 65MY Caravette and compare with Peebles..
Continuous work to get it back to OD (ish)
1965 Type21f

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:06 pm

dooh...
was searching for this post to see the 66 cooker door... but just out of the picture!

G
1965 Type21f

Topic Author
ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Will take a pic for you Graham! must remember - I am rebuilding my engine currently so it's not like I'm not in the garage very often! LOL