1966 Devon Options

So you Devon perverts, it's finally here - the Devon specific forum - and it's in a whole new interiors section :-)

Topic Author
Bathtub57
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

1966 Devon Options

Post by Bathtub57 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:08 am

I'm looking for some info / photographs of some of the Devon options available in 1966 that I've not yet come across. They include;

Retractable Step for Side Doors
This would be very useful for my little lad and my parents
Portable Toilet Unit
Useful for same as above :lol:
Small Side Door Awning (this is not the Side awning)
I'm wondering if this is similar to the ones that join the cargo doors or if it fitted the awning rail (Maddison any clues?)
Regal Sleeping Bag, nylon covered, dark blue outer, light blue inner, Terylene filled
Probably a great static energy provider...
Adaptor to utilise large table inside Devon Caravette standard model
Very interested to see what this would be?
Cranked Gear Lever extension
I might have this already - or it might just be an aftermarket item?

Would be nice to at least know what could have come with the van when new.
Cheers
Mark
1966 Devon Caravette

My Vans Thread http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51495
Mark Paine

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: 1966 Devon Options

Post by maddison » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:33 am

Bathtub57 wrote:
Small Side Door Awning (this is not the Side awning)
I'm wondering if this is similar to the ones that join the cargo doors or if it fitted the awning rail (Maddison any clues?)
I prefer it on the rear hatch ;-)

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:58 am

Bathtub57 wrote:
Portable Toilet Unit

interesting you use the term 'portable'
pics above are stand alone Harrison toilet tent, but i also have one that rolls up into its own bag and hangs from the bus, so is static on the bus , without poles - no pics yet

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:00 am

where is you list of options from, as there was a complete original bus forsale recently, that had the original day awning, but also what looked like an original cargo door canopy in blue

so the small awning either refers to my 1st pic of the small awning...or a blue cargo door canopy

....this bus, also had the retrabtable side step fitted....which if i'm not wrong, is like the ones fitted to ambulances

Topic Author
Bathtub57
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Bathtub57 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:30 pm

maddison wrote:where is you list of options from, as there was a complete original bus forsale recently, that had the original day awning, but also what looked like an original cargo door canopy in blue

so the small awning either refers to my 1st pic of the small awning...or a blue cargo door canopy

....this bus, also had the retrabtable side step fitted....which if i'm not wrong, is like the ones fitted to ambulances

I knew you'd have the knowledge on this :lol: List is here http://www.devonmoonraker.pwp.blueyonde ... celist.jpg I have an original from '67 which is nigh on the same except sleeping bag name is different.

It doesn't list a toilet tent, but portable toilet unit so I took this to be the khazi rather than the tent, but could be it was the tent. So they were Harrison tents then? I have the day awning and the drive away I bought from you some years back but the awning rail attachment is curved so not sure it was for a VW and I still need poles for the day awnin.?

Regards the step I get the idea - presumably they sourced options from an aftermarket supply pool.

Cheers

Mark
1966 Devon Caravette

Mark Paine

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:41 pm

8)

Topic Author
Bathtub57
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Bathtub57 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:26 pm

so many questions....but very cool 8)
1966 Devon Caravette

Mark Paine

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:18 am

I have a retractable step on the 65 Caravette with awning skirt with hole on it and Dave has made a copy of a Devon step I bought from Isabelle. Pictures of it trial fitted to my 64 with belly pans are in my Peebles thread. I helped windybri modify his ambulance step with pictures of ambulance steps and Devon steps
Dave made one to a finished state and cut List of parts and part assembly for the Devonette.

I also have OG cranked gear lever extension and duracour front seat covers and extra transverse hammock bunk..

Will look at 1966 option list..
Last edited by type21f on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

John TC
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by John TC » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:46 am

type21f wrote:I have a retractable step on the 65 Caravette with awning skirt with hole on it and Dave has made a copy of a Devon step I bought from Isabelle. Pictures of it trial fitted to my 64 with belly pans are in my Peebles thread. I helped windybri modify his ambulance step with pictures of ambulance steps and Devon steps
Dave made one to a finished state and cut List of parts for assembly for the Devonette.
Will post pics here.
I also have OG cranked gear lever extension and duracour front seat covers and extra transverse hammock bunk..

Will look at 1966 option list..
Hi Graham
Hope all is well with you and your family

I would be interested in the info of the Devon step if at all possible. What's Dave's contact details ?

cheers John

cheers

------------------------------1956 RHD Kombi.------------------------------
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82512
---------------------------------Aka Bucket-----------------------------------

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BJ1 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:15 pm

There was indeed a portable toilet unit, smaller than the one in Maddy's pic and painted in greeny blue hammerite. Looks like a large biscuit tin. I think I may have one somewhere - I'll stick a pic up when I get to it. Very rare, perhaps because it was a bit small for female bums so didn't sell too well :wink:

We have an original cranked gear lever extension on our 67 Spaceway. It's steel, welded into place and painted the same colour as the gear lever.

Brian
1966 Westy in Velvet Green - being restored
1967 Devon from Devon still in Devon
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA
1971 patina Delux from Montana now living in Germany
1972 Devon now owned by No 1 son!

Topic Author
Bathtub57
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Bathtub57 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks Guys for the replies, this is interesting stuff.

Graham - I've got a pic of your transverse hammock in my files, but would love to see the gear lever extensions and front seat covers. I need about a yard of blue duracour to finish my interior...
Step is very cool, I'd love to get one made if your chap is up for it?

Brian - a pic of the gear lever would be great but I'm most excited about the toilet. I have a biscuit tin and some spare hammerite so might have to venture some DIY :lol: I'd imagine it was quite a balancing act to use.

Keep em coming! Anyone got an original '66 wash basin and water container whilst we are at it?
1966 Devon Caravette

Mark Paine

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:08 am

I tried for ages to get a set of OG front cot brackets to get Dave to copy, seen pics of OG but non in the flesh. Got as far as a repro set of fronts and OG rears sold on eBay but never got OG Devon. For now I am going to the darkside and getting a westy cot made up with westy poles in suitable dark greeny greyish canvas with bag and matching jack bag. The canvas is better under tension. When I have the interior cushions done I will be asking Joanne to make front cot and transverse hammock in double thickness duracouresque Ross portobello fabric on the westy poles and use the cot bag
1965 Type21f

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:13 am

AFAIK wash bowls look like they were bought from wollies as required. My 65 came with a square yellow one which is very old and the PO said was OG. They kept the cutlery but gave me the folder. I found the spoon they had lost under the front seat, I did not give it to them...this may or may not be OG. I have hunted for years in charity shops and on eBay for more pieces like this but no joy. Spoon has the big bowl and short handle to fit the folder.
Last edited by type21f on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Type21f

Topic Author
Bathtub57
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Bathtub57 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:29 pm

maddison wrote:
Bathtub57 wrote:
Portable Toilet Unit

What's the best way to attach a driveaway awning? Threaded into the awning rail means you have to take the whole thing down to unthread it - hardly driveaway? Is there some sort of quick release method can be used?

I know modern awnings have a figure of 8 and plastic strip system - is that the way to go? What did Devon / Harrison do?
1966 Devon Caravette

Mark Paine

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:13 pm

The V.A.A.C.C.U.U.M. President will no doubt give a full and correct answer but AFAIK...the drive away idea was that on the best solution, there is an .....umbilical piece which is attached to the van awning rail and this then zips to the awning...

So
Method 1) You put the awning up with the vertical side pointing to where you want to put the van and you attach the umbilical bit to the awning rail and then you manoeuvre the van to a position where you can zip up..
Method 2) You park the van where you want, you put the umbilical bit in the awning rail and then you zip the awning to it and put the poles up and tension the umbilical entry.

So when you want to drive away....you unzip...drive forwards and you can then take the umbilical bit off
and as it says in the Haynes manual assembly is the reverse of disassembly...
Last edited by type21f on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Type21f