Devon interior

So you Devon perverts, it's finally here - the Devon specific forum - and it's in a whole new interiors section :-)

Topic Author
flashflack
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Devon interior

Post by flashflack » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:54 pm

At last.......... 4 years on,(cant believe it) after lots of blood sweat,cutting and reshaping,head scratching,patching,(why did we buy this van?) and a vans that's a ton lighter having had all the scrap taken out of it we've got to the stage that All the welding is finished,(big sigh) the spray job booked, we now need help/reminders on what the interior should be like as we are going for as close as original as possible. We've got most of the interior,(wooden bits ,easi cool,cooker) apart from the metal tank/tap(whale)(anyone got one hiding in their cupboard they want rid,like to share?) Not too sure which one we need for a 66 walk through spaceway
We are looking at using the TMI panels .Anyone have experience using them?
All help very much appreciated.
flashflack ( www.somersetshepherdshutholidays.co.uk) :lol:

John TC
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Devon interior

Post by John TC » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:36 pm

Exciting times, Pics of progress would be good :D

------------------------------1956 RHD Kombi.------------------------------
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82512
---------------------------------Aka Bucket-----------------------------------

Gavsplitty

Post by Gavsplitty » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:31 pm

I bought tmi interior panels and would from my experience say buy the original style material from them and buy some interior panels and get someone else to trim it . I don't think I have one panel left where the glue they used hasn't come unstuck . Still got my original panels in garage and they look better than the ones I bought .

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:13 am

The long side panel from TMI comes in two pieces (to aid shipping - at least to UK) and they are used to making LHD. Every owner who has fitted a TMI set on a UK bus (I have seen) has had a problem with trim matching up/ align. Not so important on mesh pattern but on early silver beige looks awful. They also seem to send LHD to UK RHD owners...
I am at exactly the same stage...bus painted and I have the OG panels I removed.....I was looking at them...some need scrapping..some could be saved...
BJ1 went through his LHD Devon and used some dark grey vinyl from a supplier (martrim? - I will check) and he recovered the original panels and it looked really good.
I have looked at TMI and looked at getting a trimmer to trim some panels for me. I have bought some TMI front seat covers and over the years have bought some pieces of both dark grey and grey mesh to make some seat covers but this will now be used to cover panels. Now I am trying to decide on getting the cab door panels trimmed up ..... to see what they look like..
Time to get my panels out to assess which to use and which to replace...
Monkey knuts wrote a lot about his dilemma "TMI or reuse or remake"
In the end he bought TMI material by the metre from USA and trimmed panels....
I bought a second set of panels to try to make one good set but in the end I think I will be looking at a source of panels to trim or have them trimmed...and pass the OG ones on ...
Watch this space...
Last edited by type21f on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

splitmaster

Post by splitmaster » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:57 pm

I just bought tmi panels there sh.t on the read panel and front the Materiel Does not go round the corners must be to save money
And the panels don't join very good on the side
I bought a set 4 years a go and they were much better the board they use is like cardboard

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:09 pm

The kick panels are just boards with a painted type finish...not lined panels..
My Caravette panels have vinyl trim attached and these are much nicer..
Your pictures shows the effect I was talking about the pattern on Bobley's beige grey check pattern did not line up and the long panel is in two parts..Just like yours

Interior looks nice though..
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

dottie the bus

Post by dottie the bus » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:43 pm

type21f wrote:
Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:13 am
The long side panel from TMI comes in two pieces (to aid shipping - at least to UK) and they are used to making LHD. Every owner who has fitted a TMI set on a UK bus (I have seen) has had a problem with trim matching up/ align. Not so important on mesh pattern but on early silver beige looks awful. They also seem to send LHD to UK RHD owners...
I am at exactly the same stage...bus painted and I have the OG panels I removed.....I was looking at them...some need scrapping..some could be saved...
BJ1 went through his LHD Devon and used some dark grey vinyl from a supplier (martrim? - I will check) and he recovered the originnal panels and it looked really good.
I have looked at TMI and looked at getting a trimmer to trim some panels for me. I have bought some TMI front seat covers and over the years have bought some pieces of both dark grey and grey mesh to make some seat covers but this will now be used to cover panels. Now I am trying to decide on getting the cab door panels trimmed up ..... to see what they look like..
Time to get my panels out to assess which to use and which to replace...
Monkey knuts wrote a lot about his dilemma "TMI or reuse or remake"
In the end he bought TMI material by the metre from USA and trimmed panels....
I bought a second set of panels to try to make one good set but in the end I think I will be looking at a source of panels to trim or have them trimmed...and pass the OG ones on ...
Watch this space...
Could you remember which grey from Martrim is a good match for the grey that is on 66 bus ? i have some mesh grey just need the right shade of grey> I have requested samples from martrim but have not received any. Many Thanks.
BBBBBrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rev Heads!!!!!!!!
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/ ... G_0524.jpg

vwdave
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwdave » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:39 am

I bought some TMI material frome the States as I wanted to make the panel in one length.

https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic ... &start=270

Hope you get sorted.

Jim

Happy Days............. :)