German quality

Don't disrupt threads on the main boards - get it all out of your system here. Think of it as 'playtime'.

e m p i

Re: German quality

Post by e m p i » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Justavan wrote: End result is the modern fuel softens up the poor quality fuel line.......
This problem is also showing its ugly head with Carb and Fuel pump rebuild kits as the little diaphragms are not able to cope with modern fuel.
Like the diaphragm on my 2 year old SYTECH regulator that split and p!ssed fuel all over my nice warm engine :x: :x: Thankfully I smelt the fuel and saw the massive trail it was leaving in the road and switched it off before it went up. Complete and utter Sh!t quality part that could have seen my bus go up in smoke :x: :x:

Shalom, Lee.
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

Justavan

Post by Justavan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Yep scary stuff Shalom,

In my case I had the good sense to have solid copper fuel lines and a fuel shut off solenoid fitted underneath the fuel tank so as when you turn off the ignition it shuts off the fuel supply. Other wise the fuel would have been ....... out and set my bus on fire. As it was the fan belt had hit the solid fuel lines I have fitted between the fuel pump and carb and still managed to cause a fuel leek. Scary stuff watching leaking fuel a mere couple of inches under a burning dynamo..... 8O 8O

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:48 pm

I must say I agree with most of what's been said, and used most of what's out there as I restore buses.
I have tried in the past, still do today, to get the old reconditioned, but the problem we are all missing is the cost.
I get old Bosch starters reckoned in Bristol, they work out expensive because of labour not parts, but when I get them back they look like brand new, better...
I get my wiper units from a guy in the states who tries to use NOS parts, again, this ain't cheep.
I have been there with the cheepy repro crap and hate it, but there is a limit to NOS parts being available for much longer.
I don't know the answer, but we do have a club with rather large funds.
We did, a few years ago, agree to have the membership raised to help fund the re-making of parts for steering boxes, very good they are too.
Perhaps that may be the route to take in getting good quality parts made, just an idea, after all, it's your money..........
So, where shall we start...

Rocket
Sometimes when you have set the benchmark, the only one you have to beat is yourself !

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:48 pm

I have to agree Ron..
German now means crap to me...
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:20 am

Ha, don't get me started on carbs Empi, but to those who don't know, Cogbox can and do recondition your old Pict unit for a very reasonable cost, when you compare the price of NEW, no contest really.
I know there are others, any ideas.........

Ron
Sometimes when you have set the benchmark, the only one you have to beat is yourself !

dombutler
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by dombutler » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:10 pm

It is getting difficult to decide where exactly the best place is to buy parts.
I think the worst items I have bought recently was some headlight rings (they didn't fit right), oh and a rear hatch handle that was only fit for the bin.
I have had some good parts from the states though, and the club shop.
Cheers,
Dom.

Jim the Van
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Jim the Van » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:39 pm

I was visiting a garage the other day who have been doing this for 30 years plus so know where and where not to buy parts. They were fitting a top pulley to a beetle and when assembled with a new belt they had to remove 3 or 4 shims to get the belt tight. The belt was measured just in case and 3 other brand new German made pullies were tried before a good OE used one was put on and the belt tightened straight up. It just goes to show what so called German made parts are like now and if the professionals are having problems what chance do us mere mortals have.

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Here, here....

Rocket ron

Dr Grub
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Dr Grub » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:39 pm

Here's an interesting twist for this thread, I ordered a German quality part from a very well known VW business (Bosch distributor cap to be exact).

The cap arrived in their own box but still clearly labelled as being a Bosch item, I think you can probably guess what happened next..... Yes the cap had no Bosch markings (my original item has Bosch stamper all over it) and was a poor fit generally.

So I ordered a "German quality" part, it came down labelled as a "German quality" part and inside is China's finest.

The original Bosch item is now back in pride of place as although it is an older part it will out last the "German" item I paid for.

Dr G. 8O
1967 SO42 Split Bus "Morrison" - Arizona

Suspension up in the clouds and proud

Marvelwear
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Marvelwear » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:06 pm

Saw an interesting one, Japanese Quality though at my rolling road tuner.a forged Ngk spark plug! It was clearly marked but looked weedy and thin and had of course failed and aparantly had been bought from a very big parts retailer that is demonic :cheers: everypart is now suspect as far as I see it now as even the main players are being duped by suppliers and importers.
[img]http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo27 ... 902021.jpg[/img] 63 CKD Australian type2t1b School clothing bus from Melbourne called"Marvin"