Features in mags don't always lead by example

Don't disrupt threads on the main boards - get it all out of your system here. Think of it as 'playtime'.

Topic Author
Vwstu

Features in mags don't always lead by example

Post by Vwstu » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:43 pm

I know this is a forum for split busses but I buy all the VW magazines including VWt, the t4 and t5 mag as I've also got a t4. In the back of the latest issue there's a section called editors soapbox where editor, James peene talks about safety and having the right tools for the job. There's a picture of him standing with his safety gear on holding a grinder. As a welder for a living I've done plenty of health and safety courses etc, first thing I spotted was his grinder has had the guard removed ( big no no) second is he appears to have no ear protection and third is no dust mask. I know we all do things we shouldn't at times and that includes me, but then I'm not in the back of a mag talking about safety and if I was I'd make sure I had the correct gear to show people. Not the first time I've seen features and how to sections in mags where they aren't really following correct safety precautions, surely they should be showing people how to do things safely and use the correct ppe for the job???????
[b]Ratty dove blue 59 panel van[/b]

BusBug&KG
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Features in mags don't always lead by example

Post by BusBug&KG » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Probably a case of Do what I say, not do what I do.
I always do my nut when the boys at work change the blades on the angle grinders without unplugging.
But I never unplug :oops: :oops:
Tony C

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:31 pm

haha... never unplug, no guard and no gloves.... do where face mask (most of the time) and ear defenders if more than a quick cut...
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
Vwstu

Post by Vwstu » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:46 pm

To be fair, 9 times out of 10 I change disks by hand and don't always unplug either, just seems a bit hypocritical to be pictured for a feature in a mag about safety ha ha
[b]Ratty dove blue 59 panel van[/b]

monkey knuts

Post by monkey knuts » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Magazines!?... Most of them aren't worth the paper they're written on IMO - all style no content.
Dec 62 RHD Tintop Caravette MGR / PW (1 P/O) restoration here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=83572

It may only be held on by 4 bolts; but one of them is a pain in the @ss to get to!

nige1171
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by nige1171 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:54 pm

I stopped buying magazines when I found this forum. I like seeing the progress pics just as much as the glossy end product.

And there's hours of entertainment on here whereas a mag is read in an hour.

No guard n gloves grinding seems clever til you go at your finger with a slit disk... Makes a bit of a mess believe me. I've got metal in my eye in the past too from grinding - not funny. Learnt my lesson and always use goggles, gloves and dust masks now.

My build thread...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=69457

kombie 454
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by kombie 454 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:51 am

Case in point!! saw Tommy Walsh doing a resto on an old garage last night and he was using a grinder with no guard!! 8O 8O those things take no prisoners if you get your fingers mixed in the wrong end !! OUCH! ............... :? :?
Well I'm standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona,
Such a fine sight to see!
Oh there's a girl my lord in a flat-bed ford,
Slowin' down to take a look at me! .....................( Wish I'd written that! )

65' Devon "Bubba"
64' Mostard
72' Westy Trailer
52' Es2 Norton

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:57 am

i change grinder with plug in, gets monotonous if your changing between cutting, grinding and flapper every 2 minutes to be unplugging it each time (i did uded to)

wear goggles . gloves and ear
cant get away with a mask, although I would like too....they steam the goggles too much

but no guard on grinder, cant imagine why as you just KNOW thats gonna end in tears

maddison
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by maddison » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 am

but back to the point

maybe its better to get the msg across and have a badly thought out picture...but you get the msg....rather than no msg at all
if you want 100% accuracy, subscribe to health & safetly monthly ;-)

BusBug&KG
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BusBug&KG » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:46 pm

maddison wrote:but back to the point

maybe its better to get the msg across and have a badly thought out picture...but you get the msg....rather than no msg at all
if you want 100% accuracy, subscribe to health & safetly monthly ;-)
Maybe they wanted to get peeps talking about the ad,it worked,reverse psychology :roll:
Tony C

paul_f
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by paul_f » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:03 pm

I personally don't wear gloves grinding - gloves near rotating things can be very dangerous. Don't google degloving if you are squeamish

nige1171
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by nige1171 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:25 pm

paul_f wrote:I personally don't wear gloves grinding - gloves near rotating things can be very dangerous. Don't google degloving if you are squeamish
Jees, thanks Paul. I fancied sausages tonight til I saw some of those pics... :lol: (curiosity got too much) :roll:

My build thread...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=69457

Huw
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Huw » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 pm

monkey knuts wrote:Magazines!?... Most of them aren't worth the paper they're written on IMO - all style no content.
Very true

kombie 454
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by kombie 454 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:43 pm

May be running down a field discharging a firearm is not such a good idea either! 8O 8O you don't see people doing that in shooting magazines do you!!!! :lol: :lol:
Well I'm standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona,
Such a fine sight to see!
Oh there's a girl my lord in a flat-bed ford,
Slowin' down to take a look at me! .....................( Wish I'd written that! )

65' Devon "Bubba"
64' Mostard
72' Westy Trailer
52' Es2 Norton

retro.james

Post by retro.james » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:08 pm

As the person who wrote the article I'm a bit suprised that you seem to have missed the point of it.

There is indeed a picture of me on that page but down the bottom...

The other picture - the one you're referring to isn't me - it's Jon Gilbert who looks nothing like me at all and works on VolksWorld.

You also failed to spot he isn't really even wearing safety goggles...

The pic is supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek - whilst working on my Beetle Jon asked me for some safety goggles and I handed him some horrendous Dame Edna style sunglasses instead...

We were messing about and I can assure you the right gear was used for the job - with a guard on the grinder because Jon's nickname in the office is Safety Boy!

The picture was used to illustrate what NOT to do - as was the one of my neighbour working under his Reliant with it supported by a wooden chair...

I wasn't advocating that either!

The caption even said that this wasn't appropriate safety wear/behaviour.

I understand some of you think mags like mine aren't worth the paper they're written on but when we show a job being done we always show it being done safely to avoid any readers copying us and coming to harm and to avoid comments like these...

If you go back and read the text you'll see the message I was trying to convey.

Back pages in mags tend to be a bit of a light hearted sign off - perhaps the pics were a bit misleading though?

Sorry for any confusion this might have caused and you can always email me at james_peene@ipcmedia.com with your comments and suggestions.

Cheers

James
Marty McFly: Does it run like on, on regular unleaded gasoline?

Dr. Emmett L. Brown: Unfortunately, no.
It requires something with a little more kick . . . plutonium!