fog-lamps and BMWs

Don't disrupt threads on the main boards - get it all out of your system here. Think of it as 'playtime'.

Topic Author
e m p i

fog-lamps and BMWs

Post by e m p i » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:36 am

Whilst not always the preserve of BMW drivers, why is it that some people(including anyone driving a bmw) feel the need to have their fog lamps on??? I can count on one hand the times when I've thought "hmm, bit foggy, could do with some fog lamps". Highway code says less than 50 yards visibility and switch 'em on, not "oh I need to look like a dick, switch 'em on". If the morons driving the bmws used their indicators half as much as they use their fog lamps life would be so much easier.

Cheers, Lee
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

Crewcab beany

Re: fog-lamps and BMWs

Post by Crewcab beany » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:27 pm

e m p i wrote:Whilst not always the preserve of BMW drivers, why is it that some people(including anyone driving a bmw) feel the need to have their fog lamps on??? I can count on one hand the times when I've thought "hmm, bit foggy, could do with some fog lamps". Highway code says less than 50 yards visibility and switch 'em on, not "oh I need to look like a dick, switch 'em on". If the morons driving the bmws used their indicators half as much as they use their fog lamps life would be so much easier.

Cheers, Lee
Sadly we are now at the stage were the cars are more intelligent that the drivers

audistwo

Post by audistwo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:37 am

Well I have both E34 and a E39 BMW
The reason for driving with the fog lights is simple, on the E34 the normal dipped lights are just pants. I had one or two discussions about just this topic and other E34 users agree.
I was driving back from Glasgow the other month late at night and had to use them due to the fact I could not see the road ahead properly.
I’ve invested in a set of upgraded lights for the E34 so I don’t have to use the fogs in future.

The E39 has far better lights and therefore I don’t tend to use the fog lights unless foggy.

So just remember the next time you see a BMW at night with their fog lights on, it’s not because they want to be a Richard head, (well most anyway) it’s so they can see where they are driving so they don’t crash into you.
1966 11 Window Walk Through
North East Scotland Branch

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:19 am

audistwo wrote:Well I have both E34 and a E39 BMW
The reason for driving with the fog lights is simple, on the E34 the normal dipped lights are just pants. I had one or two discussions about just this topic and other E34 users agree.
I was driving back from Glasgow the other month late at night and had to use them due to the fact I could not see the road ahead properly.
I’ve invested in a set of upgraded lights for the E34 so I don’t have to use the fogs in future.

The E39 has far better lights and therefore I don’t tend to use the fog lights unless foggy.

So just remember the next time you see a BMW at night with their fog lights on, it’s not because they want to be a Richard head, (well most anyway) it’s so they can see where they are driving so they don’t crash into you.
Dude, that might apply where you live so I guess that's you off the hook but where I live its the most densly populated part of the UK and the roads are lit up like xmas trees so it isn't a "can't see where I'm going issue" I can promise you.
Cheers, Lee

jezzer

Post by jezzer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:17 am

I agree, no need in towns but what about those that use front fog lights but without their lights turned on properly (ie with side lights not on dipped beam) that really rattles my cage :x:

jezzer
stay low, move fast (well, as fast as a 1500sp will go)
RHCP 08/09

bobley

Post by bobley » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:08 pm

I dont like people who drive around with their fogs on either. The manufacturers should put them on a switch so that the rears come on first and then the fronts. I use my rear several times a year but I've only had cause to use the fronts once in the last ten years.

Do you mind laying off the BMW drivers please. I am one! Around here the fog light abusers are most young numpties in maxed up hot hatches and a dopey old tw@t in an X type jag etc.

yakboy

Post by yakboy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:10 pm

I used to use my fogs all the tiime with my impreza sportswagon, we live in the country with kerbless B roads and sometimes it's the only way to see the edge of the road. I still used to get drivers flashing me & couldn't see the problem as it didn't blind anyone and I could drive more safely...anyway I now have a legacy estate with xenons and wow what a difference...no need for the fogs now

Crewcab beany

Post by Crewcab beany » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:59 pm

Oh I thought the topic was those BMW (and other makes) who drive in good clear conditions with the fogs on !! ie broad day light . I do use my fogs when we have snow storms here in finland as you cant see sh1t and as a drive a truck I will make a mess if I hit any thing. If we have fine snow then the rear fogs are used in the dark hours as you real cant see any thing if your following the truck .

UZI

Post by UZI » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:12 am

i think it's because they are trying to be "european"
............ wrote: refreshingly swell comments.

yakboy

Post by yakboy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:09 am

UZI wrote:i think it's because they are trying to be "european"
UZI...I get irrate drivers flashing me when I'm using fog lamps at night when I'm on little B roads.....I'm afraid we have a lot of driving Nazi's in the UK.....OK using your fogs on well lit roads when not needed 'cos they make your car look "pretty" is one thing but on a dark unlit road with no curbs well that's another.

richierich37
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by richierich37 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:29 am

read the highway code guys...........http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069859

do you not get a spot fine from the cops if caught using foggies when its just dark? :cyclopsani:

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

RICHIE C
SBS UK #37
P.B. 16.88 @ 77.1MPH
http://www.steeringboxscrapers.net/

UZI

Post by UZI » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:02 pm

what abouyt those H4 halogen lights that look all blue? i hate those things. i swear people use them so you will pull over and get out of their way. especially bad on SUVs cuz they get right in your rear view mirror.
............ wrote: refreshingly swell comments.

yakboy

Post by yakboy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:06 pm

richierich37 wrote: 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Rear fogs I agree dazzle, but front fogs do not, & on these minor country B roads when I cannot see the edge of the road (as they are indistinct due to lack of curbs, and there are often ditches etc) I think that it is a subjective call that they would be illegal but I agree using them on good B roads or well lit A roads is unneccesary.

I think my point is that the word "front fog lights" is misleading, I think "auxilary driving lights" is a better term and as long as they are used in necessary situations (not just fog), I don't see what the problem is, and therefore I would appreciate it if other road users would not flash me when I am using them to make my journey home safer.

But as I have said since getting a new car with xenons I don't need to use them as the xenons are so good

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:57 pm

They're not "auxillary driving lights" they're fog lights. It is an offence to drive with the front or rear fog lights illuminated unless visibility is reduced as stated in The Highway Code, which is the recognised standard expected of roadusers in the UK. There is a specific Fixed Penalty code for this offence, which is not endorsable at this time. It comes under "misuse of lamps" and is not open to interpretation.
If visibility is not reduced to below that specified in The Highway Code then you commit the offence.

cheers, Lee