Stupid dash warning lights on modern cars

Don't disrupt threads on the main boards - get it all out of your system here. Think of it as 'playtime'.

Topic Author
e m p i

Stupid dash warning lights on modern cars

Post by e m p i » Mon May 29, 2017 6:25 pm

One of the things I hate the most about modern cars is all the electric gadgetry and the stupid dash warning lights that go with it all.
Had an ABS light come up on Mrs E's car. Checked it and it wasn't the actual ABS but the sensor on the wheel. Which some dumb ****er at Ford thought would be best positioned in the NSF wheel where it can get clogged up with all the dead hedgehogs and leaves in the gutter. To get to it you have to strip down the hub and trash the bearing. Can't remember the exact cost but think it was about £180 all in.
My to-and-from-work hack (worth not much) has had the engine management light on or the last few months. It runs no different and I know the fault code is for the sensor in the top of the manifold. That I've already replaced. It used to come on and go off randomly making no difference to the wad the car runs at all. I had to put it out but if it don't go out by itself after a week or so but this time it's been on for a while so I've just left it. I know there is nothin wrong with the emissions because I've checked them, it's just this stupid light.
Father-in-Laws car has suddenly got the traction control warning light come up. He didn't even know what traction control was let alone what the little picture was. You can actually turn the traction control off manually if you want, but if the light indicates a fault you can't put the light out. Now not could be a sensor or it could be to whole pump (at an eye watering (£1800 to have replaced). Again, it makes no difference to the car drives unless you're Stirling Moss (in which case you probably wouldn't have bought a Focus anyway). So for something that you don't need and can turn off anyway it could cost half the value of the car to fix. What a load of old b*****ks.

And guess what.....it's now an MOT fail if any dash warning lights are illuminated regardless whether it's just the warning light that's faulty of the actual item it refers to.
Modern cars and electric gadgets = rip off sh!t designed for morons who can't drive and to make main stealers a load more cash on top of their rip-off charges.
Shame you can't just buy a decent bug for a grand any more and use that as a daily....

And breathe.....
Last edited by e m p i on Mon May 29, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

Doka Dave
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Stupid dash warning lights on modern cars

Post by Doka Dave » Mon May 29, 2017 9:48 pm

Agreed!
DD
--------------------------
Member since 1996.

Official SSVC Quizmaster :) :) :) :)
-------------------------

Claushema
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Claushema » Tue May 30, 2017 4:29 am

Have to bring my 99' Volvo to the garage today to find out why the engine management light is on. Probably a sensor fault. Much prefer the green and red warning light system.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Tue May 30, 2017 7:47 am

Yep, lots of prefectly usable cars are going to become MOT failures / scrapped from now on. Annoying.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SCAT, Kennedy Clutches, CB Performance & FIRETEC. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Tue May 30, 2017 9:44 am

vwJim wrote:Yep, lots of prefectly usable cars are going to become MOT failures / scrapped from now on. Annoying.
Exactly this ^^*
The cynic in me thinks it's just another attempt (remember the 2 grand scrappage scheme?) to shore up the new car sales market yet again.
We have potentially 2 cars with nothing wrong with them that will end up being scrapped just because of a stupid dash light. One is a 54 plate that has done 74k miles and the other a 58 plate that has done 48k miles. It's absolutely ridiculous

paul_f
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by paul_f » Tue May 30, 2017 4:54 pm

e m p i wrote:
Had an ABS light come up on Mrs E's car. Checked it and it wasn't the actual ABS but the sensor on the wheel. Which some dumb ****er at Ford thought would be best positioned in the NSF wheel where it can get clogged up with all the dead hedgehogs and leaves in the gutter.
Every wheel will have a sensor, you can't have ABS without a sensor on each wheel as you need to know the speed of each wheel to have ABS.
e m p i wrote:s. It runs no different and I know the fault code is for the sensor in the top of the manifold. That I've already replaced. It used to come on and go off randomly making no difference to the wad the car runs at all. I had to put it out but if it don't go out by itself after a week or so but this time it's been on for a while so I've just left it. I know there is nothin wrong with the emissions because I've checked them, it's just this stupid light.
If the light is on, then the emissions are above the legislated limited for the car (nothing to do with the MOT emissions check).

The lamp is not allowed to be illuminated unless the failure causes the emissions to exceed the threshold.
Last edited by paul_f on Tue May 30, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claushema
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Claushema » Wed May 31, 2017 4:40 am

Went to the garage yesterday. The mechanic hooked up a laptop to read the code and within 30 seconds he reset the system. Sorted. Only wasted 30 minute of my life getting there and back.

miles

Post by miles » Wed May 31, 2017 7:22 am

I think modern cars are a complete nightmare tbh.
Canterbury Pitt Interior Instructions are here:
http://chocksaway.com/pitt/index.html

Doka Dave
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Doka Dave » Wed May 31, 2017 12:51 pm

:bounce: Better stick with air cooled vw's from now on then.
Sounds like a good idea to me :bounce:
DD
--------------------------
Member since 1996.

Official SSVC Quizmaster :) :) :) :)
-------------------------

friedgreedo

Post by friedgreedo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:13 pm

Nothing a strategically placed piece of black insulation tape won't take care of!!

Make sure to check out Michael Turney Artwork also on Facebook for more great art

Claushema
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Claushema » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 pm

Stupid light is back on. GRRRR.... Back to the garage.

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:04 am

Decided to bin off the 54plate Fusion and buy the the in laws 58 plate Focus CC2, so have now joined the ranks of convertible w****rs :lol: :lol: It's been quite nice driving with the roof down in the little heatwave we've been having but Mrs E doesn't like it as she thinks it makes us look too much like the Essex twats that you get on the TV :lol: :lol:
I bought it knowing about the Traction Control System light being on and so knew I'd have to sort it out at some point but I'd budgeted for this as I got the car very very cheap.
So had the beast on a couple (3 actually) code readers and they couldn't read the traction control system, only the engine management system.
Took it to a friend of a friend who's got about £4K worth of diagnostic equipment and he plugged it in. Straight away it gave the fault and he knew exactly what it was as he did one last week.
I've been doing a bit of research in the mean time and it appears that it's a common fault with Ford and VW that the control module goes in the ABS/TCS system. If you google it you'll come up with loads of threads of different forums about the 60-series modules failing. Guess what our car has? Yup exactly that. Previously the only way to fix it was to change the whole lot including the pump at an eye-watering £1300 8O 8O 8O for the unit plus a couple of hours labour. Thankfully you can now buy the control module on its own (still not exactly cheap considering they must know it's a common fault).
So at least I now knew what it is. And how much it's gonna cost :( Basically it gonna be £400 supplied and fitted for a genuine ford part (that I hope lasts longer than the 43k miles the last one has been on there) inc vat.
So I've got half a result as it could've been 1300 quid plus.
I'll update when it's done.
The p!sser is that if it was a Traction Control System fault it wouldn't fail the MOT but because it's Electonic Stability Control, which is basically an updated version of traction control, it's an MOT fail under the new guidelines from Oct 2016. What really boils my p!ss though is that I can get into the car and manually switch off the Stability Control so it's not like you even need it in the first place. Plus it's not like every car manufactured has it fitted in the first place and I've managed to drive more than adequately for 30 years in a variety of different cars, none of which had the stupid stability control fitted.
I hate all this electronic rubbish you get on modern cars with a passion as it just seems another way to bleed us dry when they go wrong grrrrr

Cheers, Lee.